Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got caught in some moderate rain this evening on the way to work. The good thing is that after 10 months of riding, I've finally really ridden in the rain and I didn't feel nervous or anything. BUTT I was quite uncomfortable and here I sit at work in soaking wet jeans. So can anyone recommend a good (yet inexpensive) rainsuit or something?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
I use frogg toggs. Not specifically made for motorcycles but I have never had an issue. Or you could check at your local Cycle Gear. They usually have some on sale.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Another vote for Frogg Toggs. The bike shops are too much money. Your bicycle store should have covers for your boots and gloves.
A full face helmet blocks the rain the best. Next an open face with a flip down front window.

UK

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which Frogg Toggs do you guys use? How is the Ultra-Lite Rain Suit?

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
They make different types. Some are thin and rip easily. They also come in colors. My jacket and pants were about $50. Less than that and they will probably tear. Two things to remember with rain gear. If it says waterproof, it will probably leak. Many who have a lot to say, do not spend much time in the rain.
I just sprayed some paints with waterproofing stuff. See my first point above.

UK

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I also use the Frogg Toggs, they roll up pretty compact, they're inexpensive compared to other types of rain gear and more importantly they work. Warning though, touch it against a hot exhaust, motor or header pipe and they will melt.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
I don't think "good" and "inexpensive" can happen when it comes to rain gear. As Zebra finally mentioned, many, not just Frogg Toggs, will melt and melt rapidly when exposed to heat. I sometimes wonder if they'd melt in my saddlebags. So I don't use them at all. Plus I know my leg touches the exhaust from time to time. The exhaust even gets to the stuff that supposed to take the heat on my rain pants. It's some kind of fuzzy stuff. I have a mis-matched set. The uppers are Can-Am rain gear. The lowers are Moto-Port rain gear. But I had to phone them and tell them to add heat protection as without it they also melt. At least on my Harley and Indian they did. Actually I burned two holes and had to send them back to get the protection. If I didn't already have these, I'd get the Can-Am stuff as my wife has proved it works and works well. But there too, I'd wonder about heat. I'd like to know.

·
15,550 Posts
I have the heavy duty Froggs for the bike in black. Rode for 6 hours in the rain before my rain gloves gave up the ghost and my hands started freezing. Every thing in my waterproof bag was wet, but I was dry. Not even any chin drip down my neck. No melted spots either.

I use the light weight Froggs on the boat in tan.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used to have a rain-suit sold by JCWhitney before they stopped supporting motorcycles… was less than $50, and very durable other than not having heat-guards… Still have the jacket (with a new zipper some years back) Like many rain suits, it would seep near the neck unless you strangle yourself, or take other precautions – but the thing was incredibly indestructible – used to use it sailing rather than my high-dollar sailing suit, which was no where near as good…

Just bought a no-name one-piece suit off of eBay – haven’t tested it in the rain yet, but it fits over my usual riding gear, so that much is good…

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I used to recommend Frog Troggs, but not long ago I was caught in a real downpour and stopped to put on my Frogg Toggs. They did a moderately good job of keeping me dry, but the way they fit they flapped about annoyingly when I was at anything over about 30 mph, even on a fully faired motorcycle. Clearly they were not designed for use on a motorcycle. So while I still carry the Frog Togg pants, I now carry a Tourmaster rain jacket (Sentinel LE model). It is designed specifically for motorcycle use and is of high quality construction. It is not cheap, at about $140, but not as expensive as some others like the Klim (which I wanted since it is made of Gore-Tex, which should be not as hot in the summer as most rain jackets, but the Hi-viz model is unavailable at least until next year). A nice feature on the Tourmaster is a built in hood that rolls up within the collar, but can be used to cover the head under a helmet and keep rain from coming down the back of your neck. It also has an opening that you can reach through to access something under the jacket directly, intended to allow a LEO to access his firearm and I use it the same way since I am always armed when riding. I bought mine through Revzilla.com and ordered it in the same size as any other jacket that I would order and it does seem true to size.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Many years ago I was planning a trip and needed a rain suit. Didn't have a lot of money to spend on a rain suit and the next day my wife surprised me with a rain suit. I remember thinking "On my God, what has she bought me?" But I just smiled and thanked her for getting the rain suit for me. I stuffed it in the saddle bag thinking I'll replace it before too long and just not tell her.

That was the plan. Then I got caught in the rain and had to put on that Wal-Mart rain suit. I got wet. Mostly from sweating inside the thing. My boots were wet, and most of my shirt was damp (from sweat) but it kept my pants dry, except where they went over my boots. That rain suit flapped terribly, it was made for fishermen, I think. If I hadn't sweated so much, it would have probably kept my shirt fairly dry, so in a pinch, it will work for a little while.

But I'd try Cycle Gear first. :)

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
An observation: when choosing the rain jacket, make sure it has a hood. If you pull your helmet (assuming you use one) over the hood, the rain won't run under the jacket and down your back. I also use boot covers; hate the feel of wet socks in riding boots.

Reactions: RonK

·
15,550 Posts
Boot cover and glove covers, but don't cheap out. My glove covers started leaking after a while. It was 50-60 out but after 6 hours my hand were frozen. Everything else was warm and toasty. My water proof bike bag leaked as well. I now keep a large thick black garbage bag in my saddle bag to cover the luggage.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
My glove covers are big enough for my insulated gloves. I change the gloves in the tank back as the weather changes during the year.
I carry the Frogg Toggs this time of year, to put over my leather jacket and jeans. In the colder months I wear other stuff.
The OP mentioned inexpensive, so I did not tell him about 700 pound Barbour jackets.
Although I bought an oiled cotton jacket in NZ for $100- That is the winter rain coat. All of my rain coats have snug neck collars, so rain entering there is not a problem.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Glove rain covers are good for wind also when the temps drop below 50º but you don't want to get your thick winters gloves out yet. Gives you a little more time until the temps drop below 40º. At least mine are good for that extra boost.

·
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm...I guess I'll look for a rainsuit specifically made for riding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a pair gortex rain pants that are 5+ years old. They breath but totally rain proof. Wear them when the sun shines and still raining or in the heaviest downpours. They have Velcro straps on the bottom and zippers up to the knees. So you can strap them and unzip them, if it gets too hot and have no place to change. Am at work on lunch so can't give you the brand as of now.

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Just checked. There is a Cabela's store on the big island. If I go to the bike gang meeting on Sunday, I can have a look inside.

UK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just checked. There is a Cabela's store on the big island. If I go to the bike gang meeting on Sunday, I can have a look inside.

UK
Cabela's have some good sales when ending a new season. Now may be a good time to shop for summer months, since we are approaching fall. You might have to wait a couple weeks for this, I'm not sure. But when I got the catalog, they always had sales on apparel from the last season, it seems.
The rain pants I got from them are very lightweight, yet tough and strong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.