Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this makes any sense to anybody:

I have an 89 Radian I bought last summer. Since last fall, when I press the starter, the engine starts firing pretty much instantly, but for the first few/several seconds, it'll stop again if I release the starter. After the first few/several seconds it picks up a bit and then it's fine. It then takes a couple minutes with the choke on to warm up. Once it's warmed up, it idles and runs fine.

Restarting when it's warm, it seems to sort of hesitate on starting; I blip the throttle a bit and it's fine. There's no lack of power at any point.

I replaced the battery in May. This weekend I replaced the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and air filter (and the friction plates and springs in the clutch, FWIW). It starts about the same, maybe a bit quicker. I had a look in the #4 carburetor and it looked perfectly clean -- to me (note: if there's anybody on Earth who knows even less than I do about how a carburetor ought to look, I'd like to shake his hand, because he's probably Stevie Wonder).

When I bought the bike last summer, it didn't need the starter held down, but it always took a few minutes on the choke to warm up.

This problem started last fall, before winter storage. Back then I thought it was the cold weather (I live in southern Maine), but I still have the same issue now, with temperatures in the 70s F.

So the bike starts every time and runs great, but "it just doesn't seem right" and I'd like to either get to the bottom of it, or write it off as "character". Does this look like a familiar picture to anybody?

·
American Legion Rider
22,138 Posts
I'm confused. Are you saying it fires on first compression, then dies. And if you just stay on the starter after it's running, it continues to run? If so, just so cold natured. Have you balanced the carbs? Assuming it has multiple carbs. I'm not familiar with your bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi hogcowboy,

It definitely had the problem the first time I started it on Sunday after putting it back together, so I kept on starting it like I had been. I assumed nothing had changed, and you know what they say...

But now if I try just hitting the starter button for half a second it starts, hesitates for an instant, then picks up and goes fine. Looks like I wasted your time.

When I had it apart I also drained the fuel, took the tank off, and replaced some fuel line. Maybe that explains the first start.

I haven't balanced the carbs. It's an inline four, four carbs.

·
American Legion Rider
22,138 Posts
Maybe just a low battery. Make sure it's fully charged. It doesn't take much to drain some and if it's just been sitting and you're now cranking a bunch it is probably just low voltage. Put a battery maintainer on it. They are worth every penny.

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Hormel... DO NOT SYNC THE CARBS... If no one has messed with the sync screws, then there's no reason to go there. Take Hogs advice... Make sure the battery is in good shape. Ride the bike and see if there are any issues remaining. This may be one of those easy fixes where a ounce of SeaFoam goes a long way!!

Let us know...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneEyedJack,

I'm very happy to have an excuse not to sync the carbs! I haven't looked at the sync screws, but I'll have a look this evening.

I'll definitely put some Seafoam through it and see how that goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts