Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I spend so much time criss-crossing the country, I've learned:

1) The brake lights of vehicles 1/4 mile ahead of you provide better "Radar Detection" than any $500 box you can mount on your handlebars.. both speeders AND the timid tend to jam the brakes upon sighting LEO

does NOT work following other motorcycles who TEND to simply roll off the throttle & those who downshift to slow down...

2) When all the 18 wheelers suddenly bunch up, or get single file in the right lane....SOMETHING is up. Normally there's always ONE trying to pass another at a 2mph differential, cars interdispersed with trucks, etc.

3) You're doing 75 in a 65 and see a pack of cars coming up behind you FAST, led by something whose paint job COULD be LEO.... You're safe! Cop cars are almost invariably running SOLO.

4) You're doing 85 in a 65 and see a car coming up behind you fast.....if it has daytime running lights, chances are it is NOT LEO

5) Packs of cars and trucks all BEHAVE differently when there's a LEO in their midst ....for example most move to the right lane, so watch oncoming traffic for "unusualness" to spot

6) A few drivers, God bless 'em, WILL flash their lights to warn you...but if you're not paying attention, you'll never see it...

Honestly, I've calculated all the time I would save driving 17 over versus 7 over (which LEOs normally let slide) and that and the one extra fuel stop typically required and.....I might be arriving home 11 minutes early or some such even on long trips. There's no payoff realistically.

The only excuse I have is the "cat and mouse" aspect of speeding keeps me awake, alert, and those are GOOD things vs. zoning out. only by listening to tunes (Ipod, earbuds) am I able to really "relax and go with the flow" of most long-haul traffic.

YMMV

·
Registered
93 Posts
Never thought about the day time running lights, thanks. Good tips all around.
In North Carolina, we have safety courses taught by the two wheel cops. They are all day courses and I have taken them a couple of times just to get the winter rust out and my skills back. Last year the cops told me, "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine." Means up to and including nine miles an hour over the speed they will not touch you, but 10 on - sorry. They also said, do not be the first in a pack of speeders or the last.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't know about your part of the country but up here radar is gone and is replaced by LASER. Any warning you get from a LASER detector means you have just been clocked - too late! LASER just projects a small dot on the target and it isn't visible to anyone else.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Laser Hysteria?

I don't know about your part of the country but up here radar is gone and is replaced by LASER. .
Dianne, are you speaking from experience?

I've "heard" that laser cannot be shot through a windshield, that it requires the LEO to stand outside his vehicle, perhaps with a tripod.

Yes, I've "heard" that by the time the laser warning goes off it's too late. But to aim a laser, even a laser POINTER at a moving vehicle at THAT distance would indeed require either a tripod or a rifle-type mount.

And the cop has to see YOU, decide YOU are the best target (in a field), aim and squeeze before you spot him. Whoever has his eyeballs on the other first is gonna win most "engagements." Just like aerial dogfighting...

All I hear is all this FEAR about lasers, how they're "unbeatable" and have heard VERY LITTLE from anyone actually ticketed by a cop using it.

In fact I posted a thread ASKING if ANYONE here had ACTUALLY been clocked/ticketed by a LEO using LASER and didn't get a single reply.

So I'm personally ignoring all the ...for lack of a better word...hysteria regarding cops using LASERS.

Haven't even bought a laser jammer ....yet!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Since I spend so much time criss-crossing the country, I've learned:

1) The brake lights of vehicles 1/4 mile ahead of you provide better "Radar Detection" than any $500 box you can mount on your handlebars.. both speeders AND the timid tend to jam the brakes upon sighting LEO

does NOT work following other motorcycles who TEND to simply roll off the throttle & those who downshift to slow down...

2) When all the 18 wheelers suddenly bunch up, or get single file in the right lane....SOMETHING is up. Normally there's always ONE trying to pass another at a 2mph differential, cars interdispersed with trucks, etc.

3) You're doing 75 in a 65 and see a pack of cars coming up behind you FAST, led by something whose paint job COULD be LEO.... You're safe! Cop cars are almost invariably running SOLO.

4) You're doing 85 in a 65 and see a car coming up behind you fast.....if it has daytime running lights, chances are it is NOT LEO

5) Packs of cars and trucks all BEHAVE differently when there's a LEO in their midst ....for example most move to the right lane, so watch oncoming traffic for "unusualness" to spot

6) A few drivers, God bless 'em, WILL flash their lights to warn you...but if you're not paying attention, you'll never see it...

Honestly, I've calculated all the time I would save driving 17 over versus 7 over (which LEOs normally let slide) and that and the one extra fuel stop typically required and.....I might be arriving home 11 minutes early or some such even on long trips. There's no payoff realistically.

The only excuse I have is the "cat and mouse" aspect of speeding keeps me awake, alert, and those are GOOD things vs. zoning out. only by listening to tunes (Ipod, earbuds) am I able to really "relax and go with the flow" of most long-haul traffic.

YMMV
Exactly! I usually wait for that one guy who has to go fast at any cost pass me, and I will hang back far enough that I can just see his taillights, great bait plus what was stated above.

·
American Legion Rider
18,530 Posts
I'll admit I'd use wadenelson as a "sponge" myself. And I'd swear I can tell who's recently been invited to a court party too. But I must be getting old as I find just doing the speed limit now less stressful. But I'll still take a ride with a sponge and watch his tail lights closely. Go get him wade.:D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Dianne, are you speaking from experience?
Unfortunately yes! :( Up here they have a number of "red light cameras" that clock your speed thru intersections and photograph your plate if you are over.

They also have a number of "ghost vehicles" they park in reduced speed zones that do the same thing. (It was quite a game a few years ago - they would change the speed limit signs and then ticket a whole bunch of people - some speed zones changed every few weeks until a judge started throwing the tickets out for "entrapment".)

Many of the cruisers have LASER mounted on the dash or the rear deck and they ALL shoot thru glass - LASER has no problem with glass.

There are also a few tripod-mounted LASERS around and some hand-held units.

The units they use here have a viewfinder that is like a small telescope or a rifle scope - just put the dot on the vehicle and press the button!

Big Brother is watching! Speed traps are/were big business in the nearby city so the best solution is to stick to the limit 'cause ya never know!

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I disagree with #3. Around here, most cop cars go 85 in a 65, and always have a few cars tagging along behind them.

My favorite quote from "Gumball Rally"

"55 mph is unsafe."

"It's boring"

"That's what makes it unsafe. It's fast enough to kill you, but slow enough to make you think you're safe"

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I've been clocked with a laser in the past. The state patrol was hiding behind an overpass at the time with the unit pointed out his side window. All he needed was a little gap to shoot through between his car and the bridge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts