Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 r1200gs. I had not ridden it for a few weeks and the battery was flat when I came to start it. I put the battery on charge, using a trickle charger and leaving the battery in situ. It appears that the battery is now charged, as the headlight will briefly come on brightly, but although the start sequence initialises, the headlight goes out, the screen is dim and the green neutral light and a red light flash alternately. The best I can get when pressing the start button is a click of the solenoid, but usually, not even that. Any ideas?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Use a multi meter to test the battery, it should be a minimum of 12.5 when not under load. It should not drop more than a couple of volts under load. If it doesn't meet these parameters the battery is bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, looks like you may well be right. I am amazed the battery has lasted this long ( at least seven years, possibly much longer). I was reluctant to diagnose the battery as the problem since the failure seemed so sudden. Nevertheless, having shown 12v on a multimeter following overnight charge, one click on the starter left it down at 8v. Just off to pick up a new battery....if you hear no more, problem solved. Fingers crossed. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts