Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum but please comply:

Good morning.

After nearly forty years of riding I'm on the verge of my first BMW purchase. Looking at a R Nine T GS Urban (2018) so thought I'd ask if there's anything in particular I should check and also ask, in general, what goes wrong?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Pal!
I had an issue with battery, friends and mechanicals said the start engine is "heavy" to the battery and it asks much for it.
Result: sold it after some months after buying and bought a R1200C. I think it is more like me, hehehehe.

·
Registered
1985 Yamaha Virago 1000
363 Posts
BMW weakpoints for me is anything plastic, they tend to use some real dogsh*t plastics on the internals and externals of their cars and bikes. There's also just some things to know about BMW in general when buying one; their engineering is complicated, they tend to have a MUCH less tolerance for misuse / hoodlum sh*t, they need to be maticulously maintained, and they also tend to depreciate a bit more then a typical Japanese bike. That being said some of them can be really fun and unique to ride, they just have to be ridden accordingly and taken care of.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
BMW bikes lasted well, because of their owners. If they were ridden like a CB750, they would fail. The early ones wound up the rear end. Moto Guzzi and Yami were much better.
From an owner of a BMW dual purpose bike. My Kawasaki 650 is much better.
From an owner of a BMW 800. My Triumph is a much better bike. UK

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I've had 5 Beemer's and I have really enjoyed their engineering, performance and reliability.

The 'R' series bikes are very easy to maintain, with the 2 cylinders right out in the open.

If you have good, local dealer support, buy the best, the BMW. This model below was a born classic: The R nine T GS.

Sam:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts