Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Speaking of "flippin the throttle".............

When I am at a full stop, regardless of the situation, I tend to "flip the throttle." Not because I need the rev's, but I guess it's because I want to know that the motor is ready for my departure.

I know it's needless, but I do it...........

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
A lot of people are nervous about learning to shift. Starting off, shifting, and stopping does take some coordination since both hands and both feet are all doing something, but it's not as hard as it seems.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
The video may be worthwhile for a new rider but most would find it old hat info. The one good point the guy makes is about clutchless downshifting, never a good idea. Just because you can do it, doesn't make it a wise decision.

I occasionally ride with a friend who has a Suzuki Boulevard, I think it's 800cc engine. He has Cobra pipes and to me it is one of the more offensive sounding bikes I've ever heard. And like you Soupy, he's always blipping the throttle. Thankfully I usually keep him behind me.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blipping is a vestige of 2-strokes, when the plug would load up with oil and crud if you let it sit at idle too long. You'd snap the throttle to burn/blow it clean so it wouldn't gag on take off.

·
Nightfly
4,412 Posts
Blipping is a vestige of 2-strokes, when the plug would load up with oil and crud if you let it sit at idle too long. You'd snap the throttle to burn/blow it clean so it wouldn't gag on take off.
I do remember that from the guys that rode those old 500 and 750 Kawasaki's
back in the day. Always blipping the throttle. That I understand.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I do remember that from the guys that rode those old 500 and 750 Kawasaki's
back in the day. Always blipping the throttle. That I understand.
When we junked the oil injectors on ours and mixed the oil in the tank we no longer had that problem. But as a note, there was always a spare set of plugs in the tool kit too.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
There is only one place where I find I'm blipping the throttle. Around those that have loud pipes. I can't tell if mine is even running so a blip just to feel if it's alive. Any other time, nope.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
.....learn something new every day!!

-soupy

·
Registered
101 Posts
My downshifting is still super rough.. for some reason I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how the engine RPMs work when going down, which I realize is totally ridiculous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts