Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Well done. It puts a bit of perspective on riding in a construction zone. Now, when I ride at 40 to obey the signs and cars are passing me at no less than 55 am I a hazard?

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done. It puts a bit of perspective on riding in a construction zone. Now, when I ride at 40 to obey the signs and cars are passing me at no less than 55 am I a hazard?
How often do you have near misses with vehicles in Front of you who are going the speed ,limit?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Any tips on driving on grated pavement? Where they are ripping up the current tar before laying on new? A good stretch of my route to work will be torn up next week and I want to know what to avoid. Obviously, my eyes will be open and my speed will be down, but I've heard horror stories of the grating in the road making bikes a bit uncontrolable. In order to avoid this road I would have to take the very scenic scenic route.....

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Just don't fight it and keep your speed up and steady. Let the bike dance under you so be relaxed. Hard to do but if you fight it, it will be even worse. Just suggest the direction you want to go until you really must turn if it drifts too much. Hopefully it will be all straight stretches so you can just let it drift a little.

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just don't fight it and keep your speed up and steady. Let the bike dance under you so be relaxed. Hard to do but if you fight it, it will be even worse. Just suggest the direction you want to go until you really must turn if it drifts too much. Hopefully it will be all straight stretches so you can just let it drift a little.
+++

Yup. The front wheel and even the rear will feel like they're moving around and they are--just not much. Firm, relaxed grip--like holding a baby.

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
^^^^ Just last week I had to go through a ten mile stretch of milled road surface, some parts pretty deeply corrugated. I kept a decent grip, but relaxed, not a death grip and kind of let the bike go... (like letting a horse have it's head rather than fighting it). It does feel a little bit squirrely, but not out of control. Main thing is to keep a look out for big chunks of loose asphalt or concrete or big holes.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Keeping the elbows loose will help a lot. Let the bike wander a bit and use gentle corrections to the handlebars. The main thing you need to look out for is edge traps, such as uneven lanes where one is higher than the other. Going down is easy, but getting up over a steep edge has to be done slowly and carefully.

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
Going down is easy, but getting up over a steep edge has to be done slowly and carefully.
I generally dive back into it at an acute an angle as I can. Let the suspension work for you. Taking it slow and easy could make you go down cause you don't know if it's loose or firm. Just do it and be done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts