Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I know the drive chain comes up a lot in questions for maintaining a great healthy bike, but I wanted to ask all of you and your thoughts! So first when do you know or what are the signs to know if you need to lube your chain up? When do you feel it's time to clean and re-lube your chain? And also what lube do you personally use. I have been researching and found a lot of forums and websites saying that the DuPont all purpose lube (safe for o-rings) is a great one because it's clear, and decently thick so it doesn't fly all over your bike. I have been re-lubing my chain every other time I fill up my tank or so (about 500 miles) just to be safe and seems to be working fine.

So all in all what are some good tips on maintaining a good healthy chain?!

That's everyone!!

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
I lube mine after about 4-5 rainy rides and thoroughly clean/lube it every other time. Usually I'll do it between 700 and 1000 miles, but it has been raining so damn much this year that I just go by rainy days.

I use whatever lube is on sale at the motorcycle shop...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hey everyone! I know the drive chain comes up a lot in questions for maintaining a great healthy bike, but I wanted to ask all of you and your thoughts! So first when do you know or what are the signs to know if you need to lube your chain up? When do you feel it's time to clean and re-lube your chain? And also what lube do you personally use. I have been researching and found a lot of forums and websites saying that the DuPont all purpose lube (safe for o-rings) is a great one because it's clear, and decently thick so it doesn't fly all over your bike. I have been re-lubing my chain every other time I fill up my tank or so (about 500 miles) just to be safe and seems to be working fine.

So all in all what are some good tips on maintaining a good healthy chain?!

That's everyone!!
I think it is one of those things that you can do as often as you please. Keep it well lubed to get maximum life out of your chain and sprockets.
I use a chain lube that I bought at the motorcycle shop that stays sticky and wont fly off. I hate dirty wheels so I tend to lube less, with that said I do keep it lubed, lubed enough so it does not rust, trade off is chain and sprockets wear a little faster. Like everything on your bike, keep a close eye on it and give it the attention it needs promptly. Another thing about chains is make sure that you have the tension / slack set correctly. Your owners manual will provide you instructions on that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Back in "the old days" I used to lube the chain once during the summer with ordinary motor oil. At the end of the riding season I would take the chain off, wash it in solvent, and check for wear. If it wasn't worn too badly, I'd soak it in motor oil for a day and hang it to "drip dry" for another day. That seemed to work pretty good on the Honda 50 and 305. Of course, on the Harley FLH, hammering the throttle would stretch the chain a little every time so they were never old enough to wear out LOL!

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I'll check my motorcycle Owners Manual.........hold on a sec..........ah here it is:

(Hey, it says on page 102 that my "Maximum Weight Capacity" is only 375 lbs?! Oh, I'm sorry.........back to my search).........

It says, "Every 500 miles" Then it says, "Under severe usage, or when the motorcycle is ridden in unusually dusty or muddy areas, more frequent maintenance will be necessary."

As for the chain cleaning and oiling brands and tools:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LG8XRC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VJPVJK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1ZJAFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you change to a "new" chain one day. Be sure and check the slack on it after the first good long ride! It will change!

Inspect your sprockets now and then (both front and back) to see if they are exhibiting any signs of teeth wear. This will tell you at LEAST two things:

1) If your sprockets are in need of replacement due to wear.
2) If your chain is running truly centered on your sprocket.

(I'm sure some others in here will add to that........)

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I'll check my motorcycle Owners Manual.........hold on a sec..........ah here it is:

(Hey, it says on page 102 that my "Maximum Weight Capacity" is only 375 lbs?! Oh, I'm sorry.........back to my search).........

It says, "Every 500 miles" Then it says, "Under severe usage, or when the motorcycle is ridden in unusually dusty or muddy areas, more frequent maintenance will be necessary."

As for the chain cleaning and oiling brands and tools:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LG8XRC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VJPVJK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1ZJAFO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When you change to a "new" chain one day. Be sure and check the slack on it after the first good long ride! It will change!

Inspect your sprockets now and then (both front and back) to see if they are exhibiting any signs of teeth wear. This will tell you at LEAST two things:

1) If your sprockets are in need of replacement due to wear.
2) If your chain is running truly centered on your sprocket.

(I'm sure some others in here will add to that........)

-Soupy
Good advice.
It is pretty much a good idea to change the chain and sprockets at the same time.(this has been my personal practice) You can tell when the chain and/or sprockets are worn out if you can lift the chain off the rear sprocket at the center of the chains travel around the rear sprocket. (hope that makes sense) If you can lift the chain there, it is probably getting time to replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts