Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to riding and am looking at a 2009 Honda CRF230M. It's the only available dual sport near my location at a reasonable price.

The 'M' model comes standard with a front tire 110/70-17 Dunlop GT401 Arrowmax and a rear tire 130/70-17 Dunlop GT401 Arrowmax.

Obviously, it has 17-inch wheels, but I want to change the stock tires over to a 50% pavement and 50% dirt tire, such as the Kenda 784.

My question is what are my acceptable widths and aspects for my future tire? Do I have to get a 110/70-17 front and 130/70-17 rear or is just the 17 part important?

Many websites I visited don't even have those dual sport sizes available, so that's why I'm wondering.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
It's best to stay fairly close to stock tire size. That way you know it will fit on the rim and not cause problems with clearances.

Tires are sized by width, then percentage of width as height, and diameter of the wheel.

So your 110/70-17 is 110mm wide, 77mm high (110*70%) and will fit a 17 inch wheel. If you have the clearance, you can probably go to a 120/70 easily enough.

·
Registered
886 Posts
What you are looking at is the Supermoto model with sport bike type tires, you want the model with larger diameter wheels that is meant as a street/trail bike. Continental tires have a Trail Attack model that may fit, they are still more street oriented and Continentals ain't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think I will hold on and wait for a different bike to come along with larger diameter wheels more suited for off-road.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Most on/off road versions of enduro type bikes have 19" to 21" front tires and 17" to 18" rear tires with knobby tires, the 17" front/rear are definitely more street oriented with almost smooth tires like a sport bike or road racer. Are you buying from a dealer or a private seller? If a dealer they should have some dual purpose type bikes unless that make doesn't have that type like Ducati, Aprilia or Harley. Most Japanese dealers will have at least a couple.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts