Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in trading in my current bike for my next one. As this is my first time with a motorcycle trade-in, I have some questions I hope you can help with:
  • Trade-in value; should I expect close to NADA value to be offered for my bike so long as the bike is in good shape?
  • MSRP; do dealers come off sticker some? At all?
  • Any tips for how to get a good deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I haven't bought a motorcycle since 2019 and a whole has changed since then. Dealers have a hard time getting stock, due to the pandemic, so they have little incentive to offer discounts at the moment. I would expect they're being more generous on the trade-ins, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge. As always your ability to walk away is probably your biggest bargaining tool. The more dealers you talk to, the more likely you'll find one amendable to giving you a better deal. What kind of bike are you looking at getting?

·
Registered
619 Posts
You will not be offerred anything close to book value for your trade; if you are, it means they have jacked the price on the new bike; and if they haven't, then they'll hit you with all sorts of non-related fees which they'll claim cannot be waived and which will not even be mentioned until the final "sign here" documentation is prepared.

Sell your bike to an individual. If you take the first lowball offer you get you'll come out miles ahead of a trade-in.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Best part of trade-in through a dealer is that you will pay a little less taxes on the purchase of the new bike.
Mark-up on new motorcycles is not great so it is difficult for dealers to discount the list price, but they make good markup on accessories and apparel so they might give you a discount on a helmet or boots purchase at the same time.

Dealer pre-delivery charges are mostly a rip-off, if I could buy a motorcycle still in the crate I would do that every time. Anything that came in the crate with the motorcycle will be gone before you see it. Example: If the bike came on a track stand in the crate, they will try to sell you the stand for an extra 400 bucks. If the bike came with a battery tender right from the factory, that will be for sale in their showroom too. That's why we call them stealerships.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Motor vehicle dealers in the USA are rip-off centers. They are dishonest in their pricing and policies, barely trying not to go "illegal". Remember, you are not dealing with a single individual (the trained salesman on the art of getting-the-most-from-you-for-nothing). You are dealing with a ruthless corporation. I define trade-in, a way of disposing of your vehicle (read....getting rid off) avoiding the inconveniences of selling yourself for some significant amount

The dealer will try giving you close to nothing for your 'trade-in", and then the 'tug of war' wrestling begins, as you try to get something.......bring some aspirines.

......they use the "book value" as toilet paper.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Not a good time to be trading bikes. Dealers are not coming down on prices as some dealers are selling new bikes as soon as they hit the floor.
It might be different in your part of the country, but you'll have to find out about that yourself. You might want to wait another year.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I agree with the others, its not a great time to buy. Thanks to Covid times, low dealer inventory, high demand, and high cost of shipping will result in full MSRP at the least.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My advice is to NOT ask for the price breakdown. Ask for the out-the-door price and stress it must include EVERYTHING. That's all that really matters. When I was shopping for my Goldwing, I would have flown to Las Vegas, bought the bike and rode home back to NY. The price shown on the dealers website was enticing. When I asked for the out the door price, I was flabbergasted by how much more it was from what they showed on their site - thousands more! But even then, I'd still have to pay sales tax on top of that if I registered it here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I work for a group of dealerships located in Pittsfield MA, Adams MA, Bennington VT, and Guilderland NY.
I do know that sounds like the beginning of something you should scroll right on past. Hear me out:

New motor sport inventory from many manufacturers is pretty low right now, with pre-ordering out to Spring in some cases. Some manufacturers, like CFMoto, SSR Motorsports, and Benelli, are keeping up with demand, though. Our dealerships literally have hundreds of machines in stock, both new and used, from 19 different manufacturers.

Trade-in values are usually nowhere near the value you'd get by selling your bike to an individual. An individual is going to use your bike themselves. A dealership has to do many things to your machine before it can be re-sold. There are costs associated with that set of tasks. Selling your bike yourself takes time and effort. Doing a trade is easier. The dealerships I work for will arrange to pick-up your trade-in and deliver your new machine within their geographic regions. In states where it matters, a trade-in does lower the amount of sales tax due for your purchase. So, some perks to both approaches.

If you want a great deal, buy used! Used doesn't mean decades old and miles deep. In a lot of cases, it's basically a new bike that someone bought, didn't like, and traded back in for something else. In our dealerships, all trade-ins go through the shop to make sure they're as perfect as possible before getting a price tag. Dealerships have very little negotiating room with MSRP for a new machine. They have more room to move with a used machine.

I hope this helps and you find the ride you want at a great price. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Manufacturers are lucky to get the parts to build things right now, as predictable during or right after a global pandemic. My bike came with Pink rims almost for sure because that's all they could get at the time, you get what you buy and pay big bucks for it, or you buy something cheap that needs a ton of work and coin to ride it.
CFMoto, SSR Motorsports, and Benelli China, China and China

·
American Legion Rider
26,418 Posts
I truly hope Ford's recent moves to bring component manufacturing back to the country catch on in the industry.
Something President Trump wanted from the start of his term but now Prez Biden can be the hero. I really don't care who the president is, we need our manufacturing back in this country, PERIOD.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I for one remove all the variables they can use to bury excess charges in a sale. That means NEVER trade-in and I don't. It at the lowest amount injects at least $500 more dollars they get you for and usually quite a bit more. With cars at least I junk them before I will trade in. Heven't had a bike in a while now but I would sell it to an individual instead of trade-in, simply to feel better about the dealer not getting to me. I never buy extra warranty either, the vehicle will never see a service center again if I own it. It makes for some pretty interesting conversations in the final deal rooms at times when they ask how I will fix any problems a computer will shove at you and more than once my answers have lead to a job offer which I didn't need.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Personally I do not want the hassle of selling the bike myself, with strangers coming to my house, wanting a test ride, etc. The convenience of trading a bike in on a new one is worth a lot to me, but may not be for you if funds are really tight. This past summer I traded in my Goldwing on a new CanAm Spyder. Before I went to the dealer I used the internet to find the trade in value of my bike, then added a bit to that number (but still less than the price the dealer would likely want to re-sell it for). On the new Spyder, the only discount the dealer would offer was the $1,000 incentive being offered by BRP, the manufacturer. After initially giving me a much lower offer on the trade in, they met my expectation when I told them that I would walk otherwise. The dealer beautifully prepped my old bike for resale, and priced it several thousand above what they had paid me for it, but that was no longer my concern. As it turned out, the bike sat on the showroom floor for about 4 months and ended up selling for about $1,500 over what they had paid me for it, so they really didn't make much on the deal. And although I paid top dollar for my new Spyder, I am more than happy with how it all turned out. In my case the dealer may have been motivated to move the bike I wanted off his showroom floor because it is an RT rather than the more popular RT-Limited, but it was what I wanted so all was good.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do Not trade in at a dealership. They give you 1/3 what you get from a direct sale. I just sold my 2002 Shadow VT750 in great condition for $2300 when dealer offered me $800.

They have to resell it for a profit so they low ball you.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,984 Posts
Nothing says you have to take the offer. I negotiate the vehicle price, then say I want a trade in. I’ve always gotten a decent trade in value when the alternative was to walk.

·
American Legion Rider
26,418 Posts
when the alternative was to walk.
And that's the key. You have to have the gonads to walk. They WILL talk when you walk. Maybe not as much as you would like but that's when you have to make another choice to walk or not. Very hard to do when you really have your heart set on that brand new shiny bike. But they know that. So your only offense is walking. Once they realize you'll walk it puts you are more of an even playing field. (y)

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
I think you're right, up to a point. When the dealer is selling bikes as fast as they can get them in the show room, you can walk and they'll just sell it to the next guy. Right now there's too much money and too few products.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with those advising you to sell it instead of trading it in. After riding it for 2 years, I sold my first bike for what I paid for it. I wanted a bigger bike. You will get contacted by a few game players and low ballers, but once you weed them out, it will be a better deal for both you and the person who buys it. On a side note, I regret selling the first bike. After I got the new bike, the wife insisted I didn't need 2 and pushed me to sell the first one. Bad move listening to the wife.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts