Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using alot of metalflake on my bike. But I am considering a slight mistake around my brake calipers. It would seem to me that unless I find some kind of clear finish to put over the flake, which must be brake fluid proof, I may be inviting a bit more braking ability than what the pads provide.
anybody know a clear that is bf proof?

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Brake calipers can get very hot - most I've seen that were painted used a baked-on ceramic coating. Not sure regular paints would hold up, even with a hardened clear coat.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have always thought that people use their brakes too much anyway, guess I will just have to drag my feet more....
I will also need shin gear due to the foot boards.

uh do they make ceramic clear?

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
Try google, or your favorite search tool, for 'brake caliper paint'. You'll find high temp paints of various colors; didn't see clear, but that doesn't mean it's not out there. Properly-applied ceramics are, by far, the longest lasting, but HT paint may be good enough.

·
Premium Member
5,479 Posts
One thing about paints on surfaces that see rapid heating and cooling is, they tend to crack and begin peeling from sharp edges first. If it is possible, without creating another mess, a very light wet sanding with 320 through 600 grit sandpaper over any corners should help it last longer, by taking the sharp edges off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts