Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had scooters and bikes with a windscreen. Ive just bought naked bike and can't see any difference between having or not having a screen. I got to thinking, the only way one can benefit from a windscreen is when the wind is coming from the front and is directly in line with the screen. If the wind is blowing in from the sides or any angle other than directly in front, the windscreen is redundant. Rain also falls almost vertically so again the windscreen is redundant. This is only simple logic, it would be nice if anyone had a more scientific explanation.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have always had scooters and bikes with a windscreen. Ive just bought naked bike and can't see any difference between having or not having a screen. I got to thinking, the only way one can benefit from a windscreen is when the wind is coming from the front and is directly in line with the screen. If the wind is blowing in from the sides or any angle other than directly in front, the windscreen is redundant. Rain also falls almost vertically so again the windscreen is redundant. This is only simple logic, it would be nice if anyone had a more scientific explanation.
In part, what you describe has been my experience -- what you are referring to is apparent wind, and that is a function of bike speed as well as wind speed... I did an IBA run across the back of a hurricane once (clear skies, lots of wind) and had to sit sidesaddle for the first couple hundred miles to stay in the wind-bubble -- but that was a rather abnormal situation. If the shield is properly configured, then it should certainly provide an adequate bubble of stable, less-disturbed air for the rider -- admittedly not every factory or after-market installation achieves that on the first attempt... I rode for many years without a shield and tended to look down my nose at those who used them -- then I sat behind a properly designed one and watched my daily mileages double and triple because I wasn't getting beat to death, with the accompanying fatigue...

Assuming the shield is for rider protection and not simple streamlining/ or style, the shield needs to be considered in concert with the rest of the riding ergonomics, but one thing it should do is lesson the wind-blast, and not result in buffeting the helmet...

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
If you are as skinny as a rail you won't see much benefit. But if you are a fat porker like some of us, you need all the help you can get.:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
471 Posts
All I can say is, if I took the windscreen off of my Boulevard C50 and let you ride it at highway speed for an hour, then replaced the windscreen and let you ride it for another hour, you would most definitely feel a difference. In fact, the odds of your making the first hour non-stop would be quite low...

·
Registered
144 Posts
While out for a ride this spring my windshield deflected a nice size rock that came off of an oncoming truck at highway speeds. If not for the windshield the rock would have hit me directly in the throat. There is a nice mark on the windshield to remind me that it helps with more than just wind deflection.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Had the same experience with a rock coming off a truck and hitting the lower part of my windshield. It stopped the rock but it knocked a hole through the lower part of the windshield that hung down by the fork.

I'm glad that windshield was there. That rock would have hit my left knee. It knocked a hole through the windshield and that little piece of plastic hit my knee. That stung, the rock would have broke bone.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
With more than one bike, that have varying size front windows, I have the ability to test the effect of each screen.
In short, the bigger the screen, the bigger the protection, the possibility of more buffeting at higher speeds.
A full face helmet will mask the effect of a smaller screen, or no screen. Riding with a half helmet and no eye protection, will be a lot different. The guys that do ride with half helmets are wearing wrap around goggles / glasses for a reason.

UK

·
Registered
87 Posts
While out for a ride this spring my windshield deflected a nice size rock that came off of an oncoming truck at highway speeds.
That's probably the biggest reason I keep mine on. I've thought about trying a ride without it, because I really don't know how much it's helping with the wind. In fact, I get a huge updraft of air from the ground, filling in the space behind the windshield, that makes it really noisy inside my helmet (full-face.) But I like knowing, if something bounces up from the road or blows off of a vehicle, I can duck down behind that shield.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
So far, at least for me, it doesn't happen often but it does happen. I've been hit twice by rocks coming off big trucks.

The first one left a nasty scratch on the front fender of a Goldwing I had at the time. An aftermarket Goldwing emblem covered it up nicely. :)

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
That's probably the biggest reason I keep mine on. I've thought about trying a ride without it, because I really don't know how much it's helping with the wind. In fact, I get a huge updraft of air from the ground, filling in the space behind the windshield, that makes it really noisy inside my helmet (full-face.) But I like knowing, if something bounces up from the road or blows off of a vehicle, I can duck down behind that shield.
You could potentially stop a lot of that by installing lower wind deflectors that attach to the forks if they make them for your model bike and there is room.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Spend the money on a set of lowers. You will be astounded at the difference those little wings make in eliminating that turbulence. Before I added lowers to my Boulevard the buffetting was so severe that I had a headache after 45 minutes of riding; with them in place I ride in a serene, quiet bubble.

·
7,462 Posts
They also keep the grasshoppers of the apocalypse that in Missouri are as big as small sparrows from killin' ya, although most aim for the ankle or knee to cause painful damage:surprise:

Speaking of Bug's and Bird's, many a bird has committed suicide by biker by flying head on into my wndscreens over the years:sad:

Heat and cold have a much greater effect on a rider without a windscreen:sad:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've found that below 45mph, the windscreen doesn't do much. The airflow vectors around the screen and into my body. Above 45 the wind vectors off to the side.

The I've always had a windscreen until recently when one of the clamps broke. I noticed I could not drive as fast without the windscreen and it was a lot louder. Have it back on and it's much better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Spend the money on a set of lowers. You will be astounded at the difference those little wings make in eliminating that turbulence. Before I added lowers to my Boulevard the buffetting was so severe that I had a headache after 45 minutes of riding; with them in place I ride in a serene, quiet bubble.
You could potentially stop a lot of that by installing lower wind deflectors that attach to the forks if they make them for your model bike and there is room.
Thanks for the advice. I've thought about those, if they really work it would be worth it. Any recommendations for affordable ones that'll fit on the M50?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I've thought about those, if they really work it would be worth it. Any recommendations for affordable ones that'll fit on the M50?

Memphis Shades lowers are what I have. If you can contrive the brackets to mount them -- and I know folks who've done it -- the deflectors themselves can be had for maybe $25 a pair. If you're like me and wouldn't even know how to begin to fabricate the mounting hardware, that'll set you back around another $60-70. A check on their website will tell you for sure, but I am pretty sure they'll fit your bike. Believe me, well worth the money, unlike so many motorcycle accessories.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
Weird. I've only owned bikes without windscreens. Then I got myself a scooter with a giant windscreen and it made a massive difference. The wind on my helmet at 70 mph isn't much different than it is at 30 mph. In fact, the windscreen was so good at its job I rode that scooter in the snow. I'd come home with a mostly dry body whereas on my big bikes I would have come home with a fogged up helmet and soaked.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
Memphis Shades is what I'd try as well. Looks like you would have to come up with your own mounts though. It's possible some other make/model would work. Surely someone somewhere has done it and would know what other kit would work.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts