Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,658 Posts
Do they need them? Probably by law if they are going to be ridden on the street. Turn signals and brake lights as well.

Reactions: Retired Guy

·
Registered
996 Posts
Do motorcycles need high and low beam head lights ? anyone
Well that's kind of an interesting question depending on why you ask. I would be interested in the statute. I think if you have high beams, you will need a switch and indicator and if you don't have low beams, then that would be a show stopper. But if you have only low beams, I can not find a law that says you have to use high beams. There are lots of recommendations when to use high beams, but no law I have found. It could be covered and thereby required under original equipment operational function. So, I don't have the answer, but would be really interested in someone who has a link to a statute that requires it.

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
Would need to know in what context you ask the question.
Need...
Require...
Is it desirable...
At face value the answer is no. A bike can run and be ridden without a head light all together.
But to ride one on the streets, most places both high and low beam would be required by law.
But if a bike was never on the street it would still be desirable if the bike was ever to be ridden after dark. You can get by with either a high beam or low beam but both would be desirable for the best usage of the bike.
Make sense?

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
In Missouri, your bike will fail inspection if you have a headlamp hi/low switch, and you only have one beam (high or low). No switch, no problem.
As provided by a law firm: "For a motorcycle to be legally operational in Missouri, it must have at a minimum:
  • A running headlight
  • Operational taillight and brake light
  • Turn signals
  • Horn
  • Front and rear brakes
  • Two mirrors"

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
I've never been asked that question. (Low and high beam).
Turn signals?
In Texas you do not have to have them but if you do have them they have to work.
I wonder if it is the same for a high/low beam headlight? I mean, I know you gotta have a headlight but...

S F

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
I don't need no stinkin' mirrors.
I just need to look cool where I'm going :cool:
So you are indicating you don't want to see the idiot texting and about to plow into you while you sit patiently at a stop light. Well...okay but most want to watch their six so they don't get creamed. Good luck looking cool with your internals oozing onto the payment.:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I guess it depends on how you look at it. Does it need it not necessarily for example my 2017 Suzuki drz125l doesn’t have light period. However my 1980 Suzuki DS250 does have a headlight and tail light though neither of them actually work. Then you have my 1980 Honda CT70 when it was new it was street legal though over the decades it’s lost everything but the headlight so it’s strictly an off-road motorcycle now. Not one of my 3 need lights however if you want one on the street you need them. It’s a good idea regardless. There’s a reason that motorcycles after 81 don’t have a headlight switch and are instead wired to be on when the bike is on.

·
Zip
2,606 Posts
By "need" I assume you are talking about legal requirement. This varies from state to state (assuming we're talking about the United States). You'll need to do a search for the laws in your state.

In Ohio, motorcycles operated on public roads must have at least one and no more than two headlights. On vehicles manufactured after 1960 there must be both low beam (illuminate objects at least 100 feet away) and high beam (350 feet).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts