Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different types of bike. One cruiser and a dual-sport/enduro that I plan on using mostly for dirt and trail riding. I know footwear is very important. Previously, I've only worn either cowboy boots or construction boots because both come over the ankles. But, I think I was to improve upon my footwear safety. And, now that I have the enduro, I was thinking of getting either a tall adventure boot or even a motocross boot. I don't think a street boot is going to give me the protection I need for trail riding, should the bike fall on me or I hit some brush.

I wanted to be one good pair of boots that could possible do double-duty for my street and off-road riding. Or, am I asking too much?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I ride a street bike and an adventure bike and I use the same boots for either. For the last ten or so years I've been wearing a tactical boot such as these Bates tactical boots with side zipper, or these recently purchased Iron horse boots. They offer great foot and ankle protection, and very important to me is that they are all day comfortable for walking in once you get to your destination. They hold up well too. Bates Footwear also offers motorcycle specific boots.

Bates Tactical boots with side zipper

Ironhorse Tactical boots with side zipper

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
Cowboy boots are generally pretty sturdy but they could be pulled off in a crash, on the street or in dirt.
I tested a pair on pavement one time. They did a good job and luckily stayed on my feet.

Zebraranger's makes a good point about tactical boots in his post above.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,506 Posts
I have motorcross boots that I wore for a while for street riding and off road, and liked them pretty decently. Only issue I had was, I had to bring shoes to change into. If I was just doing recreation riding I think I would have been dandy because they were comfortable, protected my shin from the kick starter, and were white so they never got hot in the sun either.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
Any decent boot for street riding, and consider how far you will walk in them. Or as above, change in to walking shoes.

For off road riding enduro boots are best. They have a steel plate in the bottom, so you can stand on the pegs. They have traction soles, and a 90 degree angle to the front of the heel piece.
I also suggest padded leather pants. They will help when the bike falls on your leg.
We are all built a bit differently. I have never worn any amour on my upper body. A rugby shirt and decent riding jacket. An oiled cotton jacket most often. Currently around $700 or more.
Some folks crack ribs, and misplace shoulders when they crash. Some upper body protection would help.

Motocross boots will have more shin padding, and smoother soles, and a 45 degree angle at the front of the heel piece.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
Cowboy boots are generally pretty sturdy but they could be pulled off in a crash, on the street or in dirt.
I tested a pair on pavement one time. They did a good job and luckily stayed on my feet.

Zebraranger's makes a good point about tactical boots in his post above.
Oh do I wish mine had pulled off in my crash. The pain as they ruined by cutting them and then pulled them off was so intense that I passed out. So I now wear a pair of custom boots with rear zipper from Gasolina. I had to go custom because my ankle is so mangled that no off the shelf boot will work unless I bought two pair of two different sizes.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
HC. Are those your legs, boots and bike. If so, we need to know the make and model of the bike. The boots and leather pants look sharp.
Air scoop on the brake is kind of Triumph style.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
26,019 Posts
Nah. That's straight from their advertisement page.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
I ride a street bike and an adventure bike and I use the same boots for either. For the last ten or so years I've been wearing a tactical boot such as these Bates tactical boots with side zipper, or these recently purchased Iron horse boots. They offer great foot and ankle protection, and very important to me is that they are all day comfortable for walking in once you get to your destination. They hold up well too. Bates Footwear also offers motorcycle specific boots.

Bates Tactical boots with side zipper

Ironhorse Tactical boots with side zipper
Those look good and the price looks even better. Have you ever had any of their motorcycle boots? I just have an old pair of Wolverine boots. They are falling apart a little but they're so freaking comfortable. I don't know if I should buy another pair or if I should get some motorcycle boots.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Those look good and the price looks even better. Have you ever had any of their motorcycle boots? I just have an old pair of Wolverine boots. They are falling apart a little but they're so freaking comfortable. I don't know if I should buy another pair or if I should get some motorcycle boots.
No, I've never tried any of the Bates motorcycle specific boots, just their tactical boots. I currently have two pair, one is old and raggedy (about 3 or more years old), the other I purchased late last year and are my current riding boots. The first pair that I owned lasted a long time (years), and they looked it. Its hard to find motorcycle boots in wide widths, Bates are available in wide widths. The only reason that I purchased the Iron Horse boots in the 2nd pic was because of a great deal. They were regularly priced at $119 and I got them clearance priced for $49.00. I've never owned these boots before, so I don't know how well they will hold up. But for the price I figured I couldn't go wrong. They're comfortable and looked similar in style to the Bates.

·
Resident of Munchkin Land
230 Posts
No, I've never tried any of the Bates motorcycle specific boots, just their tactical boots. I currently have two pair, one is old and raggedy (about 3 or more years old), the other I purchased late last year and are my current riding boots. The first pair that I owned lasted a long time (years), and they looked it. Its hard to find motorcycle boots in wide widths, Bates are available in wide widths. The only reason that I purchased the Iron Horse boots in the 2nd pic was because of a great deal. They were regularly priced at $119 and I got them clearance priced for $49.00. I've never owned these boots before, so I don't know how well they will hold up. But for the price I figured I couldn't go wrong. They're comfortable and looked similar in style to the Bates.
Cool. Thanks for the info.

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
I have a pair of them. They are roadrace boots bought in the 1980's.
They still make them today. There is a zipper in the back that goes all the way down to the heal.
Works very well on the bike, horrible for walking in though. They do make touring boots, don't know anything about those.
https://www.batesleathers.com/road-race

Wait. Wrong Bates... Let me rephrase that. No, I have never had any of their motorcycle boots...

·
Zip
2,523 Posts
I've been riding with these. Very economical and they seem to be very durable. So far my only test of their protective quality has been a 20mph low side incident. They got scuffed up a bit but there was no injury of any kind to my feet or ankles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts