Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an HID kit and the relay went bad. Guy sent me a new relay and harness. I tried the new relay with the old harness cause I was being lazy and didn't really want to rewire just yet. It didn't work. Why not? If it is a relay meant for HID shouldn't it work with any harness for that same purpose or with just certain harnesses? I called the guy and he is going to send me the same relay as I had before but I am just wondering why the newer didn't work. I love the HID with the blue angel eyes:)

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
A relay is just an electrically operated switch, and there's a bazillion different kinds available. They're not all equal, or even similar. I'd guess the one they sent you was for an HID light system, but not the same system you have, so it didn't work within your system's particular parameters.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I plugged in the new relay could it have shorted out anything? I plugged the old relay back in and nothing came on at all, the lights or the angel eyes. At least before 1 headlight was on and the angel eyes. It was not staying connected. I hope the next one he sends works so I don't have to rewire. It's not hard just time consuming. When it comes to electricity there is so much to learn. I sure thought I could just plug that new one in :)

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first relay was just a gold box, metal with MOTO written on the end. It worked great at first but then one light would go out, then next time it might be the other light that went out. I could never get them both to come on and stay on even tho the relay was connected tight. He sent me another one, little black box, looks totally different, like any cheap one from the net you might pick up so not sure if they are set up the same or not. Same number of pins and the actual connector was the same. All I know is the new one will not work with the old harness on the bike. I just thought it weird that after I plugged the new relay into the old harness and found it did not work that when I put the other relay back in nothing came on either. I have a meter, don't use it much tho. Makes sense about all the different relays not working with interchangeable harnesses. Was wondering why I had a hard time finding just a relay for the harness...always came as a set.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Maybe post a few pics of the two you have? Perhaps someone here might recognize one or be familiar with the set up you have.

Without a wiring diagram for what you have on your bike I'll be absolutely no help at all. :)

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the gold one, since it was broken already, I took it apart so I could see the insides :p It doesn't splice into my bike's wiring at all.
done3.jpg done4.jpg
I changed the fuse out thinking it may have blown the fuse but nope, the fuse was fine.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
If that's the wiring control box there should be two wires that connect to battery voltage. They're usually red and black and can connect to the fuse block or through a fuse directly to the battery. Make sure you're getting battery voltage to those wires. (There will only be one wire if it grounds through a screw to the frame.)

Also, it looks like the white, red, and black wires in the center of the picture are what would connect the control box to the headlight hi-lo circuit, yes? I'd check that to make sure it's operating correctly.

Of course make sure all your connections are good and tight.

I'm not at all familiar with the set-up you have there, so I'm just taking wild-assed guesses based on comparing it to the ones I've put on. The diagram shown in the third picture doesn't look like it jibes with the wiring you're showing though, but that's a guess like I said.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's just it, it was all working except for the relay would come loose a bit and I couldn't get a connection to stay all the time with both lights. One or the other would go out, the halos stayed on all the time, not connected to the relay. After I tried the newer relay and found out it didn't work, when I put the other back in, nothing worked, not even the halos. I'm trying to remember if the halos came on with the new relay.
Off the relay, in the picture the gold box, there are 2 wires, one to the battery hot and ground. 3 wires with no connection in the picture is hi/low and are connected and were working fine. Hopefully when I get the new relay in it'll come right up!! :thumbsup:
done2.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts