Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Evil Kenevil, CHIPS or The Fonz. Who was the better rider? Who was the coolest? Which one would you rather be?

My Answer: Evil Kenevil was the better rider. The Fonz was the coolest. I'd rather be Chips, so I can speed legally.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,328 Posts
I'd rather be one of the CHIPS because they had an entire generation of infatuated young Ladies just drooling over them, especially Eric Estrada and his 'IPANA' toothpaste smile:smile_big:

Most all of the scenes when they were riding down the brand new Interstate 15 in Southern California, were filmed while they sat on their bikes on a motorcycle trailer, doing like 15 miles per hour:smile_big:

My Son Aaron just bought the entire CHIPS DVD's and he and my Wife just love them.:kiss:

I ask them if they'd like some DIP with their CHIPS:grin:

The 'Fonz' was cool if you were a pre teen or easily entertained by 'Happy Daze.':smile_big:

Evel was the real thing:surprise:

Sam:grin:

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I liked the bikes the 'Fonz rode, heard he had a Sporty and a Triumph anyways, but sticking his hand out with a thumb up saying,
Ayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or wtf ever he said, not impressive. Chips all right I suppose but I saw them at times riding side by side
seems they should have been staggered, I don't remember either one of them having a steady gf, they came across like they were
the best thing since sliced bread, they got their tits bent out of shape when they started to work on a book and someone higher up in
the State Police threw up barricades to their plan of being famous and wealthy. . .

Yeah Evil Kenevil was the best, sure he had failures, lots of them BUT he had back bone and stuck to what he loved/loves doing,
I have a LOT of respect for that.

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
My mistake, I thought we were talking about riding ability. The Fonz had none, he even admitted it in a television interview. Had a Knucklehead briefly on the show and then a Triumph that McQueen had ridden. Almost never traveled more than 5 feet.

The real CHP's riders I would think are the better riders. Not that Evel couldn't ride, he could, Just don't know the extent of his ability. I almost never watched Happy Days mostly because I hated the Fonz for the phony he was.

Evel was the real thing, and gets my cool factor.

·
On The Road Again!
4,352 Posts
The sad truth is that Henry Winkler, "The Fonz", could not learn to ride a motorcycle. I read that he has a form of dyslexia that prevented him from operating all the controls together, particularly the clutch.

On "Chips", they rode Kawasaki 1000 police specials. The secret here is that, at the time of the show, the California Highway Patrol rode Moto Guzzi bikes. But Moto Guzzi would not loan them a fleet of bikes for the tv show.
Kawasaki did. Moto Guzzi shot themselves in the foot. Imagine how many bikes they might have sold if their machines were seen every week on Chips!
Instead, Kawasaki sold a ton of bikes because of that show.
Also, you always saw them riding in pairs, side by side.
The truth is that the real Chips always patrolled singly, not in pairs.

Evel Knievel (proper spelling) generally did everything he said he would do.
(or crashed trying) He may have been a braggart and an ass****, but he sure could ride a bike!

Just my two cents worth to the discussion.....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
How about Travis Pastrana? He recently did Evil's Ceasar Palace jump (successfully). Has done a lot of stunt riding, xgames and other riding exhibitions. He gets my vote, besides he is a local boy from right up the street.

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
How about Travis Pastrana? He recently did Evil's Ceasar Palace jump (successfully). Has done a lot of stunt riding, xgames and other riding exhibitions. He gets my vote, besides he is a local boy from right up the street.
I agree. That dude made those jumps look simple. And for the Fonz, he lost the cool factor for me long before it was known he couldn't ride. Now he might have started the trend that made a lot of smartass kids but that ain't cool in my book either. JMO

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Evel Knievel for sure.
I grew up watching his exploits, and attempting similar feats of daring on bicycles, dirt bikes, mini bikes, anything that went fast enough to crash!
Even crashing was cool if you did it with style like he did :)

·
Visionary
5,413 Posts
Yup, he cleaned those jumps, made it look easy. Almost too easy!

Reactions: Traveling Tall

·
Biker
1,638 Posts
I heard from time to time one of Knievel's bikes was a Harley, over where the oil filter is on newer bikes is a
generator and box on top is voltage regulator/ maybe a cutout. I have seen these old Sporty's with generators
where I get my bike serviced. Voltage reg does what is is made to do, keep volts around 14- 14.5. cut out
disconnects gen when battery volts are greater than generator volts. Some of the older Harley's still have
generator but sport an electronic VR/REG that bolts on to end of generator.

Hey Evel, thanks for jumping with a Harley !

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I had a teacher in high school who went to school with Evel Knievel. I believe he was a couple years behind her. She said he was quiet, strange...the kind of kid that no one would be surprised if he did something horrific. That said, he was as ballsy as they get.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I'm a Partrana fan. But he also had the benefit of a lot more technology that Evel did not have.

You can keep the Fonz, CHiPs, and Evel. My "cool" vote goes to Ted Simon

·
Nightfly
4,623 Posts
The OP"s opening post gave us three choices for best rider. He did not specify style of ridding, just who we thought was the best of the three.
Hijacking a thread is often done and I get that, but I thought it best to stick to the three choices rather than bring in anyone who rides a motorcycle. Just sayin.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Evel Knievel was the King of motorcycles and showmanship in his era. There were other jumpers, but no one else got to his level of notoriety. Evel, Fonz, CHIPs, in that order, judging by what I thought back in the day, not what I know of them now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts