Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I live in New Jersey and want to realize my biggest dream to ride a motorcycle. My situation is as follows: renting apartment with no garage or other storage place. But I really wanted to take a riding course this coming spring. My question: Is it worth getting a motorcycle license without plans of byuing a bike and renting it for practice rides during season. Thanks so much for your advice.

·
Left. No, the other left.
209 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I live in NYC and also rent, with no garage. I took the BRC, then took private lessons to get more comfortable for a while and looked for a bike.
I found one, and will be picking it up next week.
There are some shops that rent smaller bikes, but the ones near me almost all just rent larger bikes, though there are some that do 250 - 500 cc.
Take the BRC and see if you enjoy riding the bike, and get a good grounding in safety and operation. NJ also may offer a waiver if you pass the course.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/njridesafe/

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My first thought is, no. You would pay too much every time you rent a bike. I would be more apt to rent a storage unit to park the bike in. The cost of renting a bike for one day would likely pay for the monthly rental fee.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I highly recommend you take the BRC before you make that decision. Maybe one of the coaches will know your area better and make a suggestion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for giving me a good idea about my question. And it came so fast. I really feel welcomed and part of it already. Thanks so much guys!

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Dobro pazhalovat.

Take the course first and see if you even like riding enough to consider buying a bike. Then, if you're hooked, you can start working on a way to use a bike to practice and keep one of your own. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts