Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was waiting for traffic to clear so I could make a left hand turn. I was positioned in the leftmost part of the lane so cars behind me could get by. Another biker came up on my right hand side and stopped to make the same left hand turn. I thought it was a bit odd as now he had put us both at risk of getting hit by traffic behind us. I could see if we where riding in a big group. He turned a second after I started so we where basicaly side by side making the turn. Was he doing it right? Or should he have waited behind me for his turn. I dont normally ride with other bikers but sometimes its unavoidable.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Kinda made you feel uncomfortable? Me too. Occasionally l find that circumstances pit me right next to another bike. In general, l leave them alone, let them ride their ride. I would have stayed back and let you do your thing. I have no idea if you are brand new or a cagey veteran. The last thing l want to do is make another biker nervous

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Yeah, he should have held off a bit.

Having said that, I will pull up next to another bike at a red light, but then fall back to staggered when traffic begins moving.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yep, just what they are saying. He actually put himself in danger. We have one rider in his late 60's that would have taken him right out. You might think this man is a one of those cagey veterans hawk mentioned and he'd be right, sorta. He's a veteran, he's older, he is cagey in his own areas, but the bike isn't one of them. The man is just a very poor rider. We MAKE him ride just before the sweep or tail gunner so he won't wipe anyone out. He just simply takes all turns wide and slower than anyone. He's always been that way. Hasn't got worse with age. Far as I'm concerned he shouldn't be riding but I don't hand out license.

Point is had my man and your man been side by side, my man would have ran right into your man. You have know idea of the riding skills of anyone around you. In your case I would have just quickly gone on across at the earliest safe point. Then dealt with the person in some matter afterward. Either by getting away from or pulling over to let them by or hopefully he shoots ahead. Not part of my group I don't want you around. Seems like we've had a similar thread just recently about that this.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldnt pull over to the right to let him on cause he was closer than I would have liked. So he swung past me on the left as soon as he could. I was doing sixty. Good riddance. I ride my own ride and no one else is going to make me go faster than I want to. If u r stuck behind me and cant pass, too bad for you lol

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
You did fine. I don't want jerks like that around me either. He'll literally "run into" a rider like we have some day. Just hope no one gets seriously hurt.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Kinda made you feel uncomfortable? Me too. Occasionally l find that circumstances pit me right next to another bike. In general, l leave them alone, let them ride their ride. I would have stayed back and let you do your thing. I have no idea if you are brand new or a cagey veteran. The last thing l want to do is make another biker nervous

I agree with hawk!
+1

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is considered normal and acceptable and we do this always when our club is Group Riding. However to do this to a unknown Rider might be asking for trouble I personally would always stay back and follow into the turn..

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My guess.........he pulled up cause he wanted to get a better look at the babe on that bike.

The bike in front of you, that is not in your group, is just another vehicle, stay behind, which is what he should have done.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Ya know, I was thinking that exact thing but I didn't want to sound sexist. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe if he were in your group but otherwise no that guy was probably to close. personally I wouldn't have gotten that close because I wouldn't want to make other riders feel uncomfortable

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,903 Posts
I have found pulling up staggered just behind the rear wheel of the Bike in front if don't know them works if a stranger .. In a Group ride we all are side by side when stopped but turn staggered as we take off from a stop ..

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I have found pulling up staggered just behind the rear wheel of the Bike in front if don't know them works if a stranger .. In a Group ride we all are side by side when stopped but turn staggered as we take off from a stop ..
That's the safest way to do it. Motorcycles should go single-file through a curve or turn and stagger on the straights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts