Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace my small honda fairing on my 20105 Honda VTX 1300C for a National Cycle Switchblade Chopped windshield w/ quick release hardware. I watched the video's on it and I am concerned that it may inadvertently come off. Not so much while riding, because I know there is constant wind pressure on it but what about low speeds or a stop and gusty winds? Would love to hear from you and your thoughts about this. Maybe you have one and can share your thoughts on it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd hate to be the manufacturer of a quick-detach windshield that would detach itself when properly installed. It's a well-designed, strong arrangement, and I do not think you'll have any problems.

·
American Legion Rider
21,140 Posts
I’m not familiar with your windshield and it has been several years but the quick release I had from Memphis Shades you still had to remove a screw on each side for the quick part to work. So it would be the owner’s responsibility to insure those screws were in place and tight. Or maybe it was a hairpin clip but there was something the owner would have to do before it would easily come off. I do remember mine was not as easy as quick release implied even when I had everything removed. Yours might be different of course.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've not had any problem with a quick release batwing fairing I put on my Yamaha RSTD.
Does your quick lock system have a latch at the top like the Memphis Shades or no locking device like the National Cycle ones? I'd like to get the National Cycle one because it's Polycarbonate. I almost sprung for the batwing style but keep going back to this one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not familiar with your windshield and it has been several years but the quick release I had from Memphis Shades you still had to remove a screw on each side for the quick part to work. So it would be the owner’s responsibility to insure those screws were in place and tight. Or maybe it was a hairpin clip but there was something the owner would have to do before it would easily come off. I do remember mine was not as easy as quick release implied even when I had everything removed. Yours might be different of course.
Ya...I'd be fine with that if I had to "secure it" with the bolts but the National Cycle one has no locking device. It just pushes on and off. I saw there video on youtube and I asked myself...how does that not come off. I'm sure if it did we'd all hear about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd hate to be the manufacturer of a quick-detach windshield that would detach itself when properly installed. It's a well-designed, strong arrangement, and I do not think you'll have any problems.
OldEnSlow..really like your name! I'm thinking the same as you but the thought of it coming off did cross my mind. What a nightmare that would be! Nation Cycle's been doing these for years and years and is a top manufacturer of motorcycle wind screens. They should know what they're doing...I'm just a little baffled on how they stay on!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
My mounts have upper and lower slots that fit over the factory, uhmm, buttons(?) mounted on the forks.
On the bottom of the fairing mounts there is a metal hook that slips in to place when the fairing is fully seated in the slots.
The hooks would probably stay in place by themselves, but I like to put a zip tie around them just for the extra security and peace of mind.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,808 Posts
RG, are you using the stock RSTD quick release mounts for their windshield with your batwing? If so who's batwing are you using?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The fairing was made for a Road King, but I got it for less than half price on Craigslist and with a little shimming and fabricating it fit.
I mostly wanted the radio and speakers.

·
Visionary
3,627 Posts
I had a memphis shades removable windshield on my Vstar, it had clips that latched on, they were quite secure, as long as adjusted correctly. Once or twice the brackets loosed up and one of the clips unlatched but the design would only let it pivot down somewhat, not fall off, so it was only annoying and not dangerous.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I like the idea of having a quick connect on/off windshield or fairing. Riding around locally during nice weather, take it off and enjoy the breeze.
Put it on for traveling, cooler or inclement weather.

I'm a fair weather rider, but on a trip you just have to take whatever mother nature throws at you. (And she's not always predictable.) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts