Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new bike a few weeks ago. I have about 300 miles left until my first service. Should I put my stock exhaust back on to avoid any issues with warranty or whatever when I bring it in?

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's a tough question. There's a law (can't remember the name) governing a manufacturers warranty responsibility in the U.S., and whether it can be limited by the owner adding aftermarket parts. From what I understand, this doesn't give you the ability to make any modification without worry, but likely does mean that lesser and more reasonable modifications can't absolve the builder of a duty to stand behind warranty claims, and I don't know that an exhaust does, though you might have to fit it out a bit with the dealer. If it's just a slip on I can't see them giving you a hassle, and a good dealer won't make an issue of it. For my bike the dealer can install an Akropovik system as it's what's offered by the OEM as a optional "factory mod". The dealer can install this system, but not a non-Akropovik which would - technically - void the warranty. A good dealer (like mine) would still do the install but just keep the OEM out of the loop if any problems arise that aren't very obviously the fault of the modification you made.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I'd put the stock exhaust back just to give your neighbors some peace and quiet. :grin::grin::grin:

·
American Legion Rider
26,009 Posts
With today's computer controlled machines I suspect they can tell when there is a major change. So it might not make a difference what you do. If there is such a thing as a core dump of the computer or something as simple as reading the a/f history, then they know when things change. There has apparently been something like that done with an Indian owners who got his powertrain warranty denied for any future claims for something like this. I don't know all the details but in this one case it had to do with the mapping. They somehow could tell it had been changed even though the "stock" map had been put back. Don't ask me how but it did happen. So if you got a computer controlled bike if probably doesn't make a difference what you do.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
As noted, if everything is running fine AND your service guys aren't jerks, it shouldn't be a problem. It really depends on how nit-picky the service dept. is. If you want total peace of mind, then just throw the OEM on there but, as hogcowboy noted, if they delve into the computer, they can tell it was modded. If the same rules apply to bikes as they do to cars, if there were something wrong, the dealership would have to prove that the modification was related to the issue.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I would not have done anything to the bike until the warranty expired, something tells me that 'EVEN' if you did not change anything on the bike with a computer, that the bikes 'puter' would still know something was going on, and maybe I am too cynical but I think the service dept. might know exhaust was swapped out and replaced with the original, Don't forget, whoever manufactured the bike, there's BIG $$ to be saved for the company IF they can prove it was somehow modified,Not saying they will but I am sure they maintain the right to do so.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
It is a very strange thing, with H-D anyways, it seems you could add after market parts that you actually bought at H-D, like items from 'DRAG' and yet have the possibility of problems because they were not actual H-D replacement parts. I am sure H-D paid their lawyers well to protect their asses one way or another. I know as I bought a part a while ago and either I read this in the owners manual, probably did, the whole thing seemed rather murky, 'Like should I do this or what?

·
So long
2,739 Posts
It would help if you told us the bike model, what exhaust changes were made, and did you remap the ECU.

Just as an example, here's a link to BMW's service schedules with links to model and mileage specific service checklists. https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules#S

They generally start with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system to check history and current fault codes. If your exhaust changes caused any engine faults they will be picked up by the diagnostic. But if you show up for the first maintenance with the stock exhaust, the service tech won't be able to duplicate/fix the problem. So in that regard, it's self-defeating to not test it the way you run it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd put the stock exhaust back just to give your neighbors some peace and quiet. :grin::grin::grin:
But then they'd still have to hear my straight piped cage so...win win for me? :grin:

I would not have done anything to the bike until the warranty expired, something tells me that 'EVEN' if you did not change anything on the bike with a computer, that the bikes 'puter' would still know something was going on, and maybe I am too cynical but I think the service dept. might know exhaust was swapped out and replaced with the original, Don't forget, whoever manufactured the bike, there's BIG $$ to be saved for the company IF they can prove it was somehow modified,Not saying they will but I am sure they maintain the right to do so.
I can't keep anything stock for long. Voiding warranties seems to be a unavoidable side effect of the mod bug lol

It would help if you told us the bike model, what exhaust changes were made, and did you remap the ECU.

Just as an example, here's a link to BMW's service schedules with links to model and mileage specific service checklists. https://www.ascycles.com/bmw_motorcycle_service_and_maintenance_schedules#S

They generally start with the BMW Motorrad diagnostic system to check history and current fault codes. If your exhaust changes caused any engine faults they will be picked up by the diagnostic. But if you show up for the first maintenance with the stock exhaust, the service tech won't be able to duplicate/fix the problem. So in that regard, it's self-defeating to not test it the way you run it.
I have a 2018 Honda Rebel 500 ABS. I changed the stock exhaust to a Musarri slip on and did not remap the ECU.

Great point!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I guess I've always favored the honest approach. If I mod something and take it to a dealer, I just show up as-is. I've always figured my chances of getting them to help me in the event of an issue will be greater if they don't find out that I had tried to deceive them about it. I always research my mods thoroughly before doing them also, so there is never anything "stupid" done either.... probably also helps.

IMO, a slip-on muffler is inconsequential, I wouldn't even consider wasting time swapping it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts