Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A buddy of mine brought his motorcycle to a local shop that I have heard of, but have no experience with; only heard opinions over the years.

Some reports of this motorcycle place are good, and some are not.

Generally speaking, those who don't like this place, think of the man who owns it as an opportunist, trying to tap into any and all markets, with expertise in none of them. (He owns a clothing store, a furniture store, etc......AND this motorcycle dealership/service company).

I have my own "trusted mechanic, for the stuff I don't know how or want to do, and I have tried to steer my friend to HIM, rather than the other guy.

Recently, he brought his bike to that "other guy" because his timing seemed rough (lots of backfire and uneven sputter at idle) and he had, as He put it, "about 2 inches of play in my chain; and I'm hearing clicking!!"

Yesterday, I asked him how it went. He was all upset. "There's a lot of excess sealant around the air cleaner cover" he said, "the 'rumble' is gone from the sound, and the bike don't shift like it used to; the guy said he found some sort of wood 'jury-rig' something or other on the bike..........." he went on and on.

(Note: I can't say I have ever heard of any kind of "wood" modification to a bike, so THAT one stumped me; have you?)

To sum it all up, he said, "I'm taking the bike back to this guy and having him put it back the way he found it!!"

On the one side, he's had his timing and chain adjusted properly (we can only assume) and his bike is better off now, than it was.

On the OTHER side, who KNOWS what they did!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've heard of bailing wire, but not wood.

It is a shame there are shade tree mechanics out there that think they are professionals.

The reality is too many people today do not take pride in the work they do.

Sometimes it is the little things that shows pride of workmanship.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be interesting to see a picture of the wooden aftermarket performance part.
Yeah........I'm having trouble understanding what was done to that bike with something made of "wood." Just doesn't make any sense! I can't imagine ANYTHING on the bike that uses or could tolerate a wooden application (modern bikes that is).

On some old (really old) bikes, I'm sure there were some "wooden" elements (like that coal-burning boiler bike, for example) but nothing I can imagine these days, that would have any "wood" parts.

I will ask him later, to see if he can better explain what "wooden" elements were found.

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I have used would as a spacer but it's always temporary. However, you know what temporary really means.:D

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Seat. You do what you have to. Know one said it was a mechanic "fix" did they. Being closed minded is not how new things are thought of.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,493 Posts
When I threw a chain on my Honda 160 back in the 60's it snapped a treaded portion of the engine case off. This caused an oil that the only fix was replacing the engine case.

A wooden plug tapped into place with a little sealant around it solved the leak problem. :)

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Back in the '70s I often saw small wood blocks used to replace drive chain tensioners and guides.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I'm going to cobble up some sort of "luggage rack" out of wood in the next day or so to keep the new nylon travel bag my wife bought me from rubbing on the rear fender. :)

I used to be happy just strapping down my old Alice pack over the fender and so no reason to change, but she means well, so I'll make up something more permanent out of aluminum later.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My '65 BMW R-60 has a block of wood holding up the front of the seat. I swear it was like that when I got it around 1970. I suspect a spring belongs there but was lost or broken over the years.

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
Some people just have no imagination unless they read it somewhere. It's a shortcoming of public education that doesn't teach kids how to think but how to take tests. (my opinion)

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way.........I asked the guy today, "where was that wooden whatever on your bike that they found?"

His reply: "It was a piece of wood, being used like a spacer or something, where the air filter is."

?????

-soupy

·
American Legion Rider
18,588 Posts
I've seen rubber hose and wood used for spacers on breathers. Not totally a bad thing unless it was used to allow air past the filter. But just to add pressure, not bad.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Gottlieb Daimler's first motorcycle, the "einspur" (one track), was constructed of wood with steel hooped wooden wheels.

Modern thought is that this motorbike was more akin to the modern Spyder as it had trainer wheels to stabilise it. (Couldn't resist that, Arntufun!)

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Gottlieb Daimler's first motorcycle, the "einspur" (one track), was constructed of wood with steel hooped wooden wheels.

Modern thought is that this motorbike was more akin to the modern Spyder as it had trainer wheels to stabilise it. (Couldn't resist that, Arntufun!)
And there was another early bike that had wooden wheels too. I can't remember the name or details, but I remember thinking it was French but was in fact American. "Militaire" maybe?

To me, Gottlieb Daimler's machine looked more like a weird motorized wheelchair then a motorcycle. So...Spyders are more like wheelchairs then motorcycles?:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Wood on a motorcycle

I made a sure-enough Redneck wooden luggage rack today. I'll cobble something better up out of metal later when I have more time, but this should do for the next few weeks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts