Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sorry but a long straight road ain't it.

I'm sure you have done many times what I will do someday, ride my bike thru a tree.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
There are times when I really enjoy a long straight road. It's good to see that there are still vast, wide open spaces in this country that are still somewhat close to the way nature made them.

(Especially after riding around in little circles in densely populated areas of Florida.)

·
8,572 Posts
If you've toured all over the place like I have, you have to put up with the long, "Montana" like semi-desert straights to basically get anywhere in the western half of the United States.

I remember my first trip on the way back from the Sturgis, SD rally, via Yellowstone, that we stayed in Boise, ID for the night so that a bike shop there could put a new tire on the back of my Electra Glide. We went from there, through Ontario, OR and our rote was due west to the coast, where we were going to camp in the redwoods of OR and CA.

I had been to Oregon, inland and on the coast many times as I fished the many steelhead and salmon rivers there and thought of OR as this beautiful tree filled and super green state--I love Oregon! Much to my surprise, I found out that at least the eastern half of OR was all desert, with no one around and very few using the roads. Desolate hardly describes the area.

The vast deserts and plains of many states hold a special place in my heart because I love the wide open spaces and I lived in Southern, CA for 50 years and unless going the costal route, the only way out had hundreds of miles of desert to cross.

Highest point at the Mount Whitney portal in CA, the highest elevation in the United States is just a 150+- ride east into Death Valley, to the lowest point---mountains to desert---love it.

I ride through TN and KN often too and the area is probably the most beautiful I have ever seen.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
after a TON of traffic in LA ....
I will take a long straight road to nowhere ... any day!

give me good asphalt, great weather
and a road that's long, lonely, and goes to the horizon.

it's Heaven - as far as I'm concerned.

dT

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I love riding, but will admit that riding in densely populated and congested urban areas is no fun for me. I think that I might give up riding if that was the only place I could get to. Living in Rockford, IL is certainly not ideal, but from where I live I can be out of the city onto nice country roads, or a two-lane along the Rock River is just a few minutes. I used to ride with a few guys from Chicago who would need to ride about an hour just to get anywhere out of an urban environment. Your photos show what all of us as riders look forward to and enjoy most.

·
American Legion Rider
23,527 Posts
Porky said:
I love Oregon! Much to my surprise, I found out that at least the eastern half of OR was all desert, with no one around and very few using the roads. Desolate hardly describes the area.
I love the eastern portion of Oregon and California. Not much of Cali though and your in Nevada or Arizona. I've ridden 300 miles out there and only got 50 miles farther north or south from where I started. But same goes for Arkansas. Some roads I've been on are just now being talked about as some of the better roads to travel.

Exploring the roads less traveled is my thing. They are getting harder to find now too. Some have got crowded. What takes most folks 3 days to travel can take me 2 weeks. Kinda hard to make distance when you only travel 50 miles in the direction you want to go.

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
I was born and raised in the city of Chicago, still work there. However my wife and I now live and raised our family in Wisconsin for good reason. The riding is much better.;)
However, I do keep a little Honda Twinstar at work that I'll use to pickup lunch from time to time in the warmer months. Theres no faster way to get around the city. I can cut through traffic jams and or turn around and take short cuts through alleys etc. But riding in the city gives me an overdose of adrenaline thats just too much for my old body to handle on a regular basis. On another thread someone asked how often one can expect close calls? All the time, everyday in the city.:eek:

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Those pictures look really great right about now..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Riding anywhere is still riding. Sure the long stretches aren't the funnest, but a long straight means that something good is coming up.

3G

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are times when I really enjoy a long straight road. It's good to see that there are still vast, wide open spaces in this country that are still somewhat close to the way nature made them.

(Especially after riding around in little circles in densely populated areas of Florida.)
I agree! I actually like getting on the "big" highway and burning up some miles.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
If you like long straight miles try South Dakota or Nebraska on the interstates. Each one seems endless when you are on it and does not have many twists and turns.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We too loved the Sandhill Country, and camping at Fort Robinson, 50 meters from the exact spot Crazy Horse was bayoneted to death by US Army troops..... Haunted ground.....

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Been across both several times on secondary roads with zero miles on the Interstate. Loved it! Especially the Sandhills!
The Sandhills are mesmerizing... the crown jewel of Nebraska, IMO.

If you like long straight miles try South Dakota or Nebraska on the interstates. Each one seems endless when you are on it and does not have many twists and turns.
One of the main criteria when building I-80 across Nebraska was following the path of least resistance. That's why it bores most travelers to tears.

BUT... get off of I-80 and Nebraska has wide and varied beauty to discover.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts