Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I need some advice on which of these two bikes to go for....

charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5164334182.html[/url]

*Pros of the First: 2008, $2640. 8500 miles, Driven Once a week. 2 owners, latest was a female (perhaps the bike was not ridden as hard, guess this is a sexist comment, so sorry gals)
Comes with a new battery, vinyl cover, battery tender, extra break lever, shift lever (makes me think it was dropped or something), has other gear for sale(lots of female gear for cheap, which I would buy anyways for my girlfriend once I am ready to carry a passenger), recently cleaned carbs, NEW front tire, safety check done in past year.
*HUGE CON: I dont know much about motorcycle suspension and lowering, but the bike is lowered (I'm assuming because the rider is short), which is potentially jacking the price up and I don't want the lower ride height anyways so I would have to uninstall (on my own). I want to eventually upgrade in a year or maybe keep this as a track bike.

charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5177544176.html[/url]

Pros of the Second: 2009, $2500 7500miles. At least two owners ( I only know of there being two). Been on market long enough for him to reduce price by 400 (He/She left his old ad up).
*CON: Daily Commuter bike so it is used more.

...........SO
The mileages are the same and so are the prices. I don't care about color.

What do you all think? What do you think is a good offering price? Thanks in advance, I'm so darn pumped to get this thing. I've been wanting a bike for 10 years. Yes, I have taken the msf course and completed research, but now I need people with experience. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

There are also a couple other gs500s for sale but they have 10-15k mileage and are less informative ads, and twice as far away from me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Bike #1 (black) says that the bike can easily be raised back to normal height. Have you asked about that? If the current owner is female, she might have purchased the extra brake and clutch levers on the advise of a friend just in case of a drop. Seems she may not have needed them.Sure comes with a ton of stuff and you could always sell the riding gear to recover some of your expenses.

Bike #2 (blue) has a close up picture of the right fairing that seems to show a crack. Was this bike dropped or damaged? The faring and tail section are white and not blue and perhaps one of the previous owners replaced these parts for some reason.

I'd go for bike #1 and see if there might be wiggle room in the price.

The GS500 is a great bike and they have proven to be very reliable. I had a 2004 E version without the fairing. Super easy bike to ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks for the reply. I think I will go for the lowered one. Plus when I go to raise it I can have an excuse to go buy some maintenance tools.

Asked her about the lowering kit, she has no idea what kind it is or how to lower it. She said it cost her 120 for parts and labor.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
l bought my SV650 from a woman, who bought it from a woman. You can call me sexist if you want, but generally speaking, l believe that women are not as hard on their toys, and they are more mindful of things like always greasing the chain, changing the oil on time, etc.

The lowering kit is probably a matter of a few bolts. See if she still has the receipt for it...then you can find out what kind it is, and probably watch a 5 minute youtube video that shows how to do it. Bonus if she still has the stock parts.

There are no pics of the left side of either bike.

Bike #1 is more transparent...they clearly thought about what should be done before selling the bike. A new front tire...that means the back tire has good tread on it. Otherwise they would have replaced the back as well. lt definitely would be the bike l am more interested in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as a double check... in order to tell if the bike is stolen I should.

Match VIN # to auto title.
Match the auto title to person selling
Match person selling to their own drivers license/ID.

I have the vin # and have checked it through numerous free sites. Most sites dont come up with any info for the history.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts

I have the vin # and have checked it through numerous free sites. Most sites dont come up with any info for the history.
lf you are worried about it, you can sign up for Carfax for something like $50 for 90 days. You can run a certain number of plates and Vin#'s during that time. Honestly though, the likelihood seems low

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah as long as nothing seems fishy, I'll go ahead and buy without the carfax. Thanks for all your help guys, great advice. I'll post pics up in here to finish this thread off. Then off to riding and learning!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't put too much value in any Carfax report, as they only help if and when previous owners actually report damage and crashes from accidents. I'm not even sure they report on bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well she got back to me and said the original mechanic would ship me the parts that were stock. Why she can't tell me brand info on the lowering kit
Idk. Either way its a good deal . hopefully I can sell in a year for similar price.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Well she got back to me and said the original mechanic would ship me the parts that were stock. Why she can't tell me brand info on the lowering kit
Idk. Either way its a good deal . hopefully I can sell in a year for similar price.
That's cool. l think it is a good deal. l wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the bike had a decent amount of negatives not listed in the ad. The bike had been down on the left side, surprise surprise. It had replaced handlebars.

My bud took it for a test ride and wasn't bad. Not excellent condition, but I would say good. I bought it woot woot! Offered 2300, paid 2360 for the bike and saddlebags, jacket, gloves, arai female helmet. Lots of good stuff for a rider way down the road from now. Thats about 600 under Kelley Blue Book

He rode it home and said it was a little sketchy going over 80, but he hasn't ridden on anything other than a supersport. From what I understand they have steering dampeners so hopefully that was the case.

I've got all my gear but my boots. Was looking at a shorter boot (alpinestar mx-1, but I'm now looking at alpine star s-mx 6. Any recommendation on tall vs. short boot for street riding? Or my bike type?

·
Registered
804 Posts

If you REALLY want to know if the bike is stolen, go to your local police station with the VIN and ask them to check. If it's clean, they'll say so. If it's stolen, well, they'll thank you for the guy's location.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Well the bike had a decent amount of negatives not listed in the ad. The bike had been down on the left side, surprise surprise. It had replaced handlebars.

My bud took it for a test ride and wasn't bad. Not excellent condition, but I would say good. I bought it woot woot! Offered 2300, paid 2360 for the bike and saddlebags, jacket, gloves, arai female helmet. Lots of good stuff for a rider way down the road from now. Thats about 600 under Kelley Blue Book

He rode it home and said it was a little sketchy going over 80, but he hasn't ridden on anything other than a supersport. From what I understand they have steering dampeners so hopefully that was the case.

I've got all my gear but my boots. Was looking at a shorter boot (alpinestar mx-1, but I'm now looking at alpine star s-mx 6. Any recommendation on tall vs. short boot for street riding? Or my bike type?
Congrats on the new bike! As long as you are happy with your purchase that is what matters.

I have had short boots and some that were a bit taller. I found that l got used to them both fairly quickly. More importantly, l would find a boot with a zipper up the side rather than laces. Laces are a recipe for a spill.

The first pair l had were made by Sedici, and they fell apart in less than a year. The second pair was made by Sidi, and from everything l could tell, were much more well made. They were less than $200 at Revzilla.com

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I went with the taller boots, and after going for a quiet ride around some neighborhood roads I am glad I did because if the bike fell on my ankle.... no good.

I have to take it to the dmv to register/have it inspected. Doing that tomorrow. Not looking forward to traffic during rush hour.

Having said that I'm definitely glad I went with a 500 twin instead of a 650 twin or 600 supersport. I would've been able to handle a 650 but not learn as fast

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Thanks! I went with the taller boots, and after going for a quiet ride around some neighborhood roads I am glad I did because if the bike fell on my ankle.... no good.

I have to take it to the dmv to register/have it inspected. Doing that tomorrow. Not looking forward to traffic during rush hour.

Having said that I'm definitely glad I went with a 500 twin instead of a 650 twin or 600 supersport. I would've been able to handle a 650 but not learn as fast
Just take your time, leave home with plenty of time, and don't be in a hurry. You can do it! I'm glad you're happy with your new bike!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts