Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been riding for a little while. Originally it was in Illinois which is, all in all, pretty straight up by the Cheesehead border where I lived. I never really paid much attention to how easy it was to lean into a corner, partially because of the lack of corners, the fact that I rode a cruiser, and I mostly putted around cities when I did get to corner.

Well now I live in the Pacific Northwest. Suffice it say we've got corners and curves to spare. I've got a new 30 year old bike (Honda cb450sc Nighthawk) that still needs plenty of TLC. I replaced the chain snapping one of the rear wheel adjustment bolts in the process. Replaced that and attempted an alignment on my own. At first I thought I had, then I wasn't sure, then I was, then I wasn't. Now I think I've got it... mostly. I thought I had it a little to the left because I found leaning in that way was easier than to the right. I got into a conversation with another rider and he mentioned that he found leaning in to the right harder as well.

So the question is: Do you find leaning into a corner easier to the right or left?

I'll explain my hypothesis in a couple of weeks or after I get a bunch of responses, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I've been riding for a little while. Originally it was in Illinois which is, all in all, pretty straight up by the Cheesehead border where I lived. I never really paid much attention to how easy it was to lean into a corner, partially because of the lack of corners, the fact that I rode a cruiser, and I mostly putted around cities when I did get to corner.

Well now I live in the Pacific Northwest. Suffice it say we've got corners and curves to spare. I've got a new 30 year old bike (Honda cb450sc Nighthawk) that still needs plenty of TLC. I replaced the chain snapping one of the rear wheel adjustment bolts in the process. Replaced that and attempted an alignment on my own. At first I thought I had, then I wasn't sure, then I was, then I wasn't. Now I think I've got it... mostly. I thought I had it a little to the left because I found leaning in that way was easier than to the right. I got into a conversation with another rider and he mentioned that he found leaning in to the right harder as well.

So the question is: Do you find leaning into a corner easier to the right or left?

I'll explain my hypothesis in a couple of weeks or after I get a bunch of responses, whichever comes first.
I think most people have a "better side" that they feel is more comfortable. For me I'd say I prefer leaning to the left over the right but not that it is really easier...I have my own reasons for thinking that the majority of people prefer leaning to the left but I'll wait to hear your hypothesis first :big grin:

Misti

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Lean on me.

Okay here is the real answer.
But first from the Navy about the motion of boats. One third preferred a slow easy motion, and one third preferred a quick snappy motion, while the other half did not care. Or as Yogi said, it's 90 percent physical and the other half mental.

According to Keith Kody: It cuts both ways, some folks prefer RH corners, some folks prefer LH corners and some do not like corners.

According to UC. If you ride on the right hand side of the road, you will get better at RH corners because they are tighter. Opposite for left hand side riders. England JA Pan, Ozz and NZ. However the degree to which you are leaning ( amount of tippy ) may not show the preference. If your chicken strips are 1 1/4 wide, it really does not matter. If you blister the edge of the tyre, the preference might show.
From experience I can tell you it was easier to pass guys around the big LH sweeper at Kent, than at similar RH corners.
I started riding on the left hand side with occasional visits to the ditch.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
18,537 Posts
I once thought it was a male/female thing. I'll dig into lefts harder than rights. My wife was the opposite. When she was on 2 wheels that is. I'm still not completely convinced it isn't a male/female thing. But it sure could be a right/left handed thing. The thing is, you would think a right handed person would prefer right turns. To me anyway. Being that you naturally could pull more throttle like that. But it sure doesn't seem to pan out like that.

We've talked about that a American Legion Riders functions. It really is a wash. Some people just prefer one over the other. No darn rhyme or reason that we could come up with.

We especially zoomed in on those that had crashed asking if they changed sides if the wreck was anywhere near a curve. They didn't change.

So we gave up finding a TRUE reason. All kinds of guesses though. Just none seemed to pan out.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
My left corners are probably a little more "proactive" ... let me say that instead of aggressive. But the difference is pretty small.

I'm a little more careful on the right side, because of the possibility of scraping the pipes on my cruiser.

dT

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I don't feel any difference in either right or left corners.

My guess is that some people do though for the same reason that people at a public ice rink all seem to skate in a counter clockwise direction. I have no idea why they do, but it happens.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,453 Posts
We have less room to make a right hand turn at an intersection, so the turn has to be tighter and slower.

Left hand turns we have more room and can take them by leaning and can be taken faster.

I scrape my floorboards more on the left than the right, but I still scrape the right side.

I have to work more on shifting my weight to the inside of the turn so I don't have to drag the bike around a corner but can still make the turn

·
So long
2,753 Posts
My guess is that some people do though for the same reason that people at a public ice rink all seem to skate in a counter clockwise direction. I have no idea why they do, but it happens.
Maybe it's the same reason NASCAR drivers only make left turns. It's safer if they all go in the same direction. :biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
I have also noticed that I am generally a bit more aggressive while turning left.
The left peg feeler is worn quite a bit more than the right.

I think it has to do with better vision in left handers and the lessened risk of gravel at the apex.

I've had this discussion before with fellow riders, and there seems to be little correlation between preferences and dominant handedness.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I started on a dirt bike, I prefer the left turn because it leaves me room to get to the rear brake pedal if needed and not worry about hitting my foot on the ground

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Expanded Survey

Thank you everyone who has contributed thus far. I actually want to expand the survey a bit so if you decide to come back, or if you’re here for the first time, would please include the following information.

Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into?
Where did you learn to drive a car?
How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car?
Are you right or left handed?
How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have?

I appreciate all the responses and I'm begining to think that I might be able to offer a fairly cogent and coherent explanation of the side preference. Keep in mind that this will be, in the end, little more than anecdotal. But it'll still be neat!

:71baldboy:

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into? Left (but don't know why)

Where did you learn to drive a car? On the farm.

How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car? Probably three or four times as much car/truck vs. bike

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have? Mostly open road

·
So long
2,753 Posts
[1] ...Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into?
[2]...Where did you learn to drive a car?
[3]...How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car?
[4]...Are you right or left handed?
[5]...How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have?
  1. Equally comfortable left or right
  2. Rhode Island
  3. Probably a 10 to 1 ratio of car miles versus bike over the 52 years I've had my license. Since retiring in 2013 my bike is my daily driver so now the ratio is reversed.
  4. Right handed
  5. Lots of both

·
American Legion Rider
18,537 Posts
[1]...Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into?
[2]...Where did you learn to drive a car?
[3]...How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car?
[4]...Are you right or left handed?
[5]...How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have?
1) No problem with either but I will go harder left.
2) On a farm in Missouri driving tractors.
3) About the same since after moving to California my bike was main form of transportation until retirement.
4) Right.
5) Again, about the same.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Prefer

I prefer right handed corners, but the left hand side of the tyre usually shows more lean angle.
Up and down the long drive we had, then on the streets. Also started on the left hand ( correct ) side of the road. Licence at 15.
I do not own a car. All my travels are on a bike. I sometimes drive home when out with Mrs Snippets.
I am right handed but can do many things left handed. The chiropractor lady said I am a right handed person trapped in a left handed body.
I ride everywhere. In the past raced on the paved tracks, cross country and motto cross.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
1. Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into?
2. Where did you learn to drive a car?
3. How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car?
4. Are you right or left handed?
5. How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have?
1. Left, like I said...it's a mental thing, I will always have that small fear of moving my foot in a turn and hitting the ground with it (it's happened to me several times when I was riding dirt bikes as a kid)
2. Around my home (live in a semi rural area)
3. I've probably only got about 20% of my driving time on a bike compared to a car/truck, especially taking into account that I drove a truck over the road for several years
4. Right handed
5. 90/10 City roads/Open roads....my health keeps me from making any significant trips on the bike, so I mostly just putter around town

·
Registered
286 Posts
Which side are you more comfortable leaning hard into? LEFT
Where did you learn to drive a car? BC, Canada. Basic driving lessons (great instructor) and an advanced driving school.
How much time do you have on a bike versus driving a car? More time in years for car but more time in experience with a bike.
Are you right or left handed? Right handed.
How much experience on open roads versus city roads do you have? More on open roads and tracks then big city roads..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts