Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, Ive just bought a 1982 H V45 Magna. Pics soon.
Starts right up, and fits in my 82 VW Vanagon, just like kindred spirits i guess.
Looking forward to some spring riding, but I have a couple questions.
1: how much safety gear (helmet, boots, jacket, chaps, gloves, etc...) is really necessary to ride?
2: what are the yearly maintenance things I should do before I get it out and let it rip down the merritt pkwy.
3: Any favorite New England Rides?
Super excited.

·
10,757 Posts
Have you taken the MSF course yet? They will help you with most of those questions. As far as safety gear, all of it is a good idea. If the bike is new to you and you are new to bikes I would suggest taking it to a dealer for a once over. They will be able to tell you how old the tires are and if they are safe. They will look at all the linkages and cables for free operation and I am not sure if the Magna has a chain or not, but if so the chain should be inspected as well.

·
A legend in his own mind
2,600 Posts
Welcome, I agree with Badlands. A reputable shop would know best what it needs.
Ditto about the MSF course, best thing you could do when entering the sport.

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I very rarely go without my gear....sometimes when I am working on the bike and I need to hear everything while I am riding...I may go without a few pieces of gear...but you know what they say...most accidents happen within 7 miles of your home and on a motorcycle you are fair game!!! So wear it!

Like others have said, take that MSF course as well....well worth it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts