Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will probably, finally be getting a motorcycle within the next couple of weeks. Now, I’m wondering about the best storage options. I need a new shed, so I was wondering if that would suffice and if so, what type or features would be good? My backyard is also adjacent to a wooded area and there was evidence of rodents in my ild shed but that could have been because it was poorly constructed.
In my area, the winters are generally cold with some snow. I don’t know if I’d be able to get heat or AC in a backyard shed. I could rent a storage facility, if absolutely necessary but that would be a last resort. I only have one garage and with my car in it, I cannot fit a motorcycle.
What are the best conditions and places for storage?

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
If you don't have room in your garage as you state, and you want it near you, then a shed will work just fine. A heat source isn't necessary unless you want to work on it during the winter as well. If it is water cooled(bike), just be sure the antifreeze is good for your temps but that might be the only other reason for heat too if it gets that cold. But that would be well below zero degrees Fahrenheit. The other think you might want is a paved path to get the bike out to the street so you could get in those early spring rides when the ground my be to wet to ride across but the streets are dry and clear. Of course if you really want to go all out and you have the room and resources, then expanding your garage would be the best. Rented storage could be cheaper than all options to start with but it will soon add up to cost more in time. Because of humidity concerns, you might want to put dielectric grease on all electrical connections as a precaution. The bike is designed to handle some moisture but over time humidity gets to everything. You may not have that problem but here it is a real issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. One of my big concerns is rust. In my old shed also the rubber grips on bicycles had begun deteriorating.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A shed will be ok. Heat and AC aren't required. The sun and rain will take their toll on a bike if it is constantly exposed.

Keep rodents out the best you can.

Rubber will deteriorate over time, but will do it much quicker if left out in the elements.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't forget to add some sort of fuel stabilizer to you tank and run it to circulate it through everything before leaving it for any longer period of time. I've had very good luck with Seafoam in everything from 2 and 4 stroke lawn stuff, snowmobiles, and my motorcycles. Fuel doesn't seem to last that long these days so the price of adding a bit is far less than dealing with the PITA issues bad fuel can cause.

·
Registered
432 Posts
As long as you can keep the elements off your bike, generally speaking it will be okay – I’ve stored mine (different setting, different bike) just under a decent cover because that was all I had – had to knock the snow off in the spring, but it fired right up when I put the battery back… rust usually gets started when you have something that traps moisture on bare metal, so some sort of ventilation is good – it ain’t a boat, so don’t store in in shrink-wrap (modern boats get away with that because they are mostly synthetics and stainless steel…). Also for goodness sake, don’t store it with ethanol gas in it – if you have to run to the next state (or country) to get ethanol free, do it – and run a tank through so none of the corn-mash is in the carb/injectors/lines… the stabilizers work for a while, but in that race, ethanol almost always wins, especially if you don’t get back to the bike for longer than you expect… fog the cylinders if you expect months under the cover... Those little temporary garage things like you’d use to park a lawn-tractor and the like seem to work… good ones seem sturdy enough to take a modest load of snow, but allows ventilation – and you can even get in to inspect if you want… but I agree a hard shed or garage extension is the best. Don’t forget the battery – battery tender, or take it out of the bike for prolonged layup – whatever…

1 - 6 of 6 Posts