Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
So to start the story off, I bought a 2001 gz250 for only $900 as a learner bike not long ago and very quickly out grew it. To be fair, I've had years of practice on off road bikes but had never ridden much on road. The 250cc 2-stroke dirt bikes were plenty back in the day, but that was 20 years and 50+lbs ago. To make the long story short, after only a few weeks I was less than satisfied with the performance of the gz250. I knew it had it's place as an around town toy, but for long trips I needed something bigger and heavier. So I bought a 1999 vz800 Marauder fairly cheap and the gz250 has sat ever since.

Hating to waste money, I started hunting for upgrades to make the 250 more enjoyable. Mod Edit: We cannot advertise other forums here. It's against the Terms and Conditions.

I was immediately in love with the bobber mods the OP did and vowed to make similar mods to my own gz250. I have ordered a few parts and gotten a parts list put together for what I will need to mimic some of what he has done, but I've been left with a few questions (which I'm sure you'll see in that thread) but I'll reask them here to maybe get some input from you guys.

The bike's stock tires are, Rear 130/90-15 and Front 110/90-16. In order to get white walls, the smallest I've been able to find are the Dunlop 404s in 150/90-15, but I'm unsure what size to look for the front. Should I +2 size it to a 130/90-16? If so, does anyone know some tires that are offered in a white wall that will fit?

I want to keep mine street legal here in PA, so I've opted to keep fenders. I'll move the front to the rear and chop it to meet coverage requirements, and I picked up a super cheap s40 front fender I also plan to hack to fit comfortably and still meet coverage reqs.

I also will keep all lighting, just LEDs and mounted in different locations. I have a lot of LED products from when I worked at Truck Lite and plan to make full use of them on this project. I have a large red LED I plan to use for a tail light mounted down on the swing arm above the exhaust. I also have some amber LEDs about teh size of the stock turn signals I will relocate next to the seat mount and in front of the risers. I have some small LED license plate brackets I'll use on a custom plate mount on the chain side of the swing arm. This should satisfy lighting for inspection.

I have a few other tricks, but will keep this thread updated as I start the project.

Here's where I'm starting:

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, links to ideas, etc.. are ALL welcome. Good idea, bad idea? Let me know what ya think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't send you a pm reply in regards to the service manual for the VZ800. I'm also not real sure on the rules of this forum, and I hope I don't get kicked off for this, but the link for the pdf manual is:

http:
//home.comcast.net/
~siriusjoe2/marauder
.html

Let me know that you can access it. I'd be happy to try another way should this not work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it. TY.

Edit your post and remove it so ya don't get in trouble, and I'll check my settings as to why I didn't get a PM, odd.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mod Edit: We cannot advertise other forums here. It's against the Terms and Conditions.
TY for the edit. I wasn't sure if it mattered or not, ty for the clarification. I will upload some pics from the original link and add the info I plan to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It doesn't give me the edit option except on the last post I posted. Oh well, hope I don't get booted. I've been learning a lot here. :)

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It doesn't give me the edit option except on the last post I posted. Oh well, hope I don't get booted. I've been learning a lot here. :)
it's alright, you are still learning....if they have that big of a problem, they will remove it for you....

as for the bike, mithuth....I wish I lived closer, I would buy that gz 250 from you for my daughter.....dang it..lol

have a great time playing with it though :thumbsup:

·
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas
872 Posts
i know about a dozen older british traditionalist bikers who get pissed off every time they hear the words "bobber" or "cafe racer"..

to quote one of them "chopping a bunch of crap off of a bike and putting a little seat on it doesn't make it a bobber, a bobber is supposed to be a proper race bike with tons of performance mods to make it faster and better."

but... what do i know...... i'm from Texas

~ http://redacesmoto.com
Red Aces Motorsports
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I've got more planned than just hacking off parts to get the look of a bobber. I know there is more than just cutting chassis. I have plans to run a 140 main jet, 16t front sprocket, and a few other go fast parts (for as much as a 250 can go fast).

Your Brit friends shouldn't be too upset. lol
TY for the input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobber_(motorcycle)

·
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas
872 Posts
lol that's true i guess.

You could probably port and polish the heads, and port match the gaskets, go up a full carb size, polish out the slide housings, and intake ports, -possibly- have the cylinders bored out, or re-sleaved, replace the pistons with a +1,2 or 3 over sized, run hot plugs, custom grind/fit the piston rings and get a considerable amount of additional power out of that little sucker, and probably another 1000-1500 RPM on the redline, and probably add about 50% more hp, which, on a light bike should easily make it faster than a stock 500 up to a certain top speed.. i'm pretty sure no one makes performance cams for them, or that would be a logical step in the right direction too. You can eliminate the air box and run open pipes but really need to get the jets to match.... and i can't stress enough the importance of having your carbs professionally synced.. in fact, all the years i've been on here, i don't think i've ever seen someone stress that... so.. i am doing so now. god ****it!!!! you can get an extra 5-10 hp on a 500 or 600cc bike just from having the carbs synched.... especially if it's an older bike and is way out of whack (which happens NATURALLY from years of vibration).. at minimum it'll have the same power as it did stock, which has probably been lost over the years through lack of adjustment and maintenance. not to mention, your cylinders will run at the same temp and one won't be pushing or pulling on the other, so UP goes the gas mileage, and efficiency, and DOWN goes the possibility of burning the damn thing up and having to replace the motor, or throwing the bike on the curb for the trash man to pick up 5000 miles from now. Just food for thought.

and, really, you cant just throw jets on something and expect it to run right. in fact a lot of the time, going with larger jets on a stock set up actually makes it run worse (for reference sake). and believe it or not, sometimes they need to go DOWN in size to make it run optimally. especially on things like CB750's. they are notorious for having to do DOWN a size to get more power. just trust me on this... lol... if you have after market exhaust, and air pods, then you may have to change the jets out two or three times to figure out specifically what runs best, you really can't rely on someone's opinion about what to buy, especially if you just called a random parts store. i promise, most of them are idiots despite that's what they do for a living. and people's forum opinions about jet sizes are kinda iffy at best most of the time because there are way too many variables to make an accurate guess. (kind of like when people say "well i cleaned the carbs"... i know for a fact without asking that they didn't REALLY... REALLY.. clean the carbs, they just think they did. but they don't KNOW that they don't know how to do it right.. same with jet changes most times)

honestly, a stock air box, stock exhaust, is generally the best performance with smaller bikes, they don't hold them back!! there is no reason to de-tune a small bike from the factory, especially newer ones. i mean.. you know.. a 250 just isn't that powerful, and depending upon the rider's weight, it would really suck if they detuned them. Most 250's are designed for small men, or average sized women (just saying it how it is), but they know that full sized men will ride them too, so try to give it enough power for 2 adults to ride on it safely in traffic on the highway. So, what i'm saying is, you're already starting with a good baseline to build off of and anything else MAY possibly hurt the performance before it helps it or, affect the longevity of the motor, which i guess doesnt matter much, but 250's are beginner bikes and, aren't really built to last nearly as long as the larger bikes for the exact reason you posted originally.. you bought it and outgrew it in about 3 days and parked it lol.. most people do. so they technically aren't built to last nearly as long. you're hard pressed to find a 250 with 40,000 miles on it that still runs like new.. usually they'll be parked in someones garage collecting cob-webs, roach eggs and rust and they give them to me for free to fix and re-sell, or to part out. lol

hmm... not sure how much of that really matters to you or the topic, but, i guess i just felt like typing! haha

oh...... by the way, i DO think the pics that were posted are cool.. i'd probably ride something like that, so i wasn't -actually- giving you crap about it.. maybe just a little hard time

~ http://redacesmoto.com
Red Aces Motorsports
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posting on a public forum, I accept there will be varying opinions. I'm not a "see it my way or I'll cry" kind of guy. I welcome opposing opinions, that's how we stay motivated to research things (to IN YOUR FACE someone else. lol )

I like some of those ideas, and I agree about it being decent AS-IS. I plan to do some minor stuff, but nothing HUGE. It's only a 250, no sense spending that much time or money on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mithuth.... i was searching the web for a bobber style that i would go for, and saw youre thread and the pics you posted...

I'mlocated in Denmark Europe and there are some regulati7ns i need to find out about.... but i wanted to ask you, since the bobber on pics is about just my style,....

Can you tell med about what size tires are on the bike, and are the rims the standard ones?

Second: I can se the bike is lowered, how much? and is this something that i could do my self, thinking about the back sprins and front fork etc.
Las question is about the handling after lowering and the bobber tires??

Hope you can help,
Kind regafds

René Laursen

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry to revive an old thread, but i'm looking at cutting my gz250 down as well, anybody know what size those white walls are? they dont seem to make them in the stock size.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts