Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excess speed single vehicle collisions make up the bulk of their motorcycle claims:

Hard dam it y won't this stupid iPhone allow me to cut and paste!

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
NEW YORK - Insurer Progressive Corp. says single-vehicle mishaps accounted for more motorcycle-related claims last year than any other event.

In a report Thursday, Ohio-based Progressive said it processed 3.5 times more of such claims than for rear-end crashes, the next-most common motorcycle accident

Motorcyclists made up 14 percent of all vehicle-related fatalities in 2013, up from about 9 percent in 2004, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says.

"Progressive saw the most motorcycle claims from single vehicle accidents -- far more than rear-end, intersection, and stolen bikes combined," said Scott Hall, motorcycle product manager at the insurer. "Even when other vehicles aren't around, you need to be extremely vigilant on the open road."

Progressive, the fourth-la...

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Failure for another vehicle to yield the right of way is still the most common cause for a crash. This is what I would call an intersection crash. Motorcycles being rear ended is only a small percentage of the crashes, and theft is tiny compared to all crash damage.

Single-vehicle crashes are common with motorcycles. These account for about 1/3 of all motorcycle fatalities. By far, the largest reason for single vehicle motorcycle crashes is improper turning. These are either misjudging speed and/or improper cornering techniques.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I think that the wording of the article has to be considered. Progressive is talking about "claims" and not total number of crashes or fatalities. They would likely count low-speed tip overs or other mishaps that aren't necessarily classified as crashes in their numbers.

Further, they would not pay out claims on the motorcycle insurance for situations where another vehicle is at fault, which is still the highest percentage of crashes total.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
I don't want to be in a crash, no matter WHO is at fault.

To hear, (not in this Thread yet, but spoken in other Threads in here) "it's not a question of 'if' but 'when'" is disconcerting to me.

-Soupy

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I wonder too, if Progressive insures a larger percentage of newer riders and those with less experience, or insures more of a certain type of bike.

And it's no big deal, Soupy. If you ride long enough, you WILL crash, guaranteed.

So all you have to do is stop riding right before the crash and you'll be okay. :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
I wonder too, if Progressive insures a larger percentage of newer riders and those with less experience, or insures more of a certain type of bike.

And it's no big deal, Soupy. If you ride long enough, you WILL crash, guaranteed.

So all you have to do is stop riding right before the crash and you'll be okay. :)
.Or crash now and get it out of the way.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Does my lay down in our drive way count as a crash? Can I say I've got it out of the way??? ;)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,443 Posts
Both count, but and that is a BIG BUT.............

You still have to keep your eyes and ears open and pay attentions.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I have been down 2x. It hurts! Come to think of it, both times I was alone.
1st, misjudged a turn at speed..... 17 years old.
2nd, I use to drive buses part time, as I was leaving the lot late at night, hit an oil patch and wound up kissing pavement. I hit the ground before I even realized what happened.
Aside from the physical pain, the worse is riding a damaged motorcycle home!
I have been very fortunate, haven't been seriously injured to date.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Just because you crashed once doesn't mean you're immune to crashing again. It's not like you can have one wreck and you're good. :coffeescreen:

In fact, the more you ride, the more you're likely to crash. That's a good thing, no? It keeps you on your toes, and keeps the whole game real. :biggrin:

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
That's why I keep our health and life insurance paid. I know every day when I get up there is a chance that I won't see bedtime. Riding makes me happy and keeps my body and mind working.

·
6,486 Posts
Another causal component to Motorcycle and Car crashes is the recreational use of alcohol and drugs, legal and illegal.

The biggest cause is the inexperience of new riders at least statistically.

I bet the "Gangsta" crotch rocket crowd really skews the statistics: Inexperienced riders on their Hayabutches, when they should have 20 horsepower and not 200. Youtube these fools and you'll see what I'm typing about.

I think we need a tiered licensing system that starts new rider out at maybe up to 250cc's for a certain time period--then 500cc's for a while and then unlimited cc's. Too many idiots with money to burn go into a dealer and buy bikes that really take experienced riders to handle, more less the uninitiated. They end up injured or dead very quickly and there goes the insurance statistics, creeping up to affect us all.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
The largest group of riders having crashes is between years 2-3. This is most often on a motorcycle that they have bought within the last few months. (The upgrade from their starter motorcycle)

I think this is because they are beginning to feel comfortable and begin to take more risks, as well as relaxing their awareness.

·
American Legion Rider
18,531 Posts
Another causal component to Motorcycle and Car crashes is the recreational use of alcohol and drugs, legal and illegal.

I bet the "Gangsta" crotch rocket crowd really skews the statistics: Inexperienced riders on their Hayabutches, when they should have 20 horsepower and not 200. Youtube these fools and you'll see what I'm typing about.

I think we need a tiered licensing system that starts new rider out at maybe up to 250cc's for a certain time period--then 500cc's for a while and then unlimited cc's. Too many idiots with money to burn go into a dealer and buy bikes that really take experienced riders to handle, more less the uninitiated. They end up injured or dead very quickly and there goes the insurance statistics, creeping up to affect us all.

Sam:coffeescreen:
It's a good idea but I darn sure don't want more government butting in. We already have too much. The insurance companies could do this on their own but they would have to work together and that isn't going to happen. There isn't a good way to do it. Do you REALLY want more government restrictions? Let them have and inch and they'll take over!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
The largest group of riders having crashes is between years 2-3. This is most often on a motorcycle that they have bought within the last few months. (The upgrade from their starter motorcycle)

I think this is because they are beginning to feel comfortable and begin to take more risks, as well as relaxing their awareness.
That and they think its cool to imitate "stupid" from you tube.

·
6,486 Posts
Yeah those 2-3 year olds seem to crash a lot!:biggrin:

Since 2008, all I can think of is MUCH less Gubmit---starting at the very top---if you get my drift.;)

Sam:smiley_drinkcoffee:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts