Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the motorcycle show in Chicago yesterday with some friends, and was very disappointed. Several bikes that I really wanted to look at and sit on where not even at the show, including two specific Honda models and the HD Livewire. The number of vendors seemed far fewer than in the past, although I did find a decent pair of deerskin gloves (the only thing I bought at the show). And I guess I made a mistake of going on the final day of the three day show, since they were totally out of the show t-shirt by the time I arrived. I always buy the shirt as a little souvenir of the show, but I guess this time I will have to live without the shirt for the first time in about 20 years. On the plus side I did get to experience at least the feel of the Zero and was surprised how wide this electric bike is. I really felt like I was straddling a horse rather than just sitting on a bike. I had the chance to sit on several bikes that I had a lesser interest in, and found that several had seat heights too high for me to ever seriously consider, so I guess the show saved me some time for future visits to dealerships.

I also noticed that several of the minor brands were not even present at the show like Ural, Moto Guzzi, Bimota (I'm not if they ever participate in this show, I can't remember), and some of the scooter companies that have been there in the past. I didn't see a single trailer manufacturer represented, either a pull behind trailer nor a trailer to carry a bike. But to my surprise, I was impressed with the BMW scooter (?). While it is a scooter it has a decent size engine of 650cc, motorcycle size wheels, and was extremely comfortable to sit on. Just thinking ahead to when I feel I am getting too old for my Goldwing, a scooter like this one might actually be the answer since it is more motorcycle like than ones like the Suzuki Burgman.

And finally, while I likely would never buy one (in part due to the ridiculously high prices), I will admit that Indian makes some beautiful bikes.

And going to this show does serve as a nice motorcycle related event to break up this very long winter of not being able to ride.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
I went to same show when it was in New York City, my review would have been about the same, it was somewhat disappointing but still something to do. It's always fun to sit on bikes.

A lot of bigger bikes seem to be overpriced, I'm not sure why a touring bike costs the same as a car but they do. Even if the same amount of tech and engineering goes into the bike as the car ( which I seriously doubt) there is far less material involved, and no interior etc. But for some reason a new Indian, Harley, Yamaha or Honda touring bike all cost about same or more as my new Subaru.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
I have not been to the local bike show for a while. It is also close to the boat show.
Like you Vito I think ahead. The larger bikes will be difficult to move around and ride. I am hoping for about 8 years.
Then I will think about a much lighter bike. Something like the 650 Suzuki single, or the 400 Yamaha.
I already have a 400 Yamaha, but who knows how long it will last, and a new bike would be nice.

UK

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used to make the long trek from Southwest Washington up to Seattle for the IMS, but they dropped that show off the schedule about three years ago. Even when it was still going, there were some manufacturers that were not showing up. I suspect the show venue charges too much for display space to make it worthwhile. I was a nice way to get a shot of motorcycling in the middle of winter and I miss it.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Seems Chicago's vehicle shows have been pretty awful this year. The Chicago Auto Show was missing major manufacturers that historically have been at every show for decades. No BMW and subsidiaries, no Mercedes-Benz (aside from their commercial van division), and the automakers that did show up decided to be extra lazy. Some of the Mazdas I test drove on the press drives were literally the same 2018s I drove last year. On top of this, most of the special events and treats they usually have for automotive press wasn't in operational order this year. I'm also baffled by FCA having what was essentially two offroad tracks (one for RAM, one for Jeep) but no drag race circuit like they usually have. The highlight of CAS 2019 for us was a US manufacturer of three wheeled cars and the representative they brought along didn't even know anything about the vehicles other than what was on the placards next to them. Calling it a disappointment would be an understatement.

A friend went to the IMS show on Friday and reported similar results, so my girlfriend and I decided to skip it to save us the time and potential boredom.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I attended this show in Columbus, Ohio a year or so ago and was real good, as I too am fed up with IMS shows. They don't even come to the southern US anymore. This show rotates each year between Vegas and Columbus.

https://aimexpousa.com/

·
Registered
33 Posts
They stopped the Northern California show a couple years ago. We had the same complaint. Several manufacturers missing, and because the show was usually in November, never had the next years models. Always went, because it was nice in winter to look at bikes and gear, but now since the show is only in SoCal, haven’t gone, and don’t plan to next year.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
While I realize setting up for a Vehicle Show is not cheap have been disappointed at several of them now the worst was last one in Orlando which I hate fighting the traffic there anyway so was really let down by it ..

·
On The Road Again!
4,192 Posts
My thoughts...
Why do they have these shows in the winter when no one can ride to them?
And why oh why do they have them in the middle of some big city where no one wants to fight their way through the traffic and congestion to get there? (and pay the expensive prices for parking and transportation!)
I went to the New York show once many years ago.
Once was enough. I have no interest in going into NYC again to do that.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
My thoughts...
And why oh why do they have them in the middle of some big city where no one wants to fight their way through the traffic and congestion to get there? (and pay the expensive prices for parking and transportation!)
That too. Part of the reason I wanted to go to this one was to swing a leg over some new machines...but then I read the fine print that they only do the test rides in warm regions. I mean, why couldn't they host this in the Spring or Summer or host at a convention center large enough to do indoor test rides?

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For many people, myself included, this show in the middle of the winter is something I always look forward to during the long period of no riding. Even though I complain about it, I likely will go again next year in part because its the primary motorcycle related activity that I have for several months. If the show were in the summer, I might be more inclined to skip it and enjoy the day riding instead. By having the show in or near a big city means it will attract a larger number of people, but I agree that if they would do this show in the summer, in a venue with easy access to the roads in the area, demo rides would be possible as they are at some large rallies. And maybe its just me, but a demo ride is one of the surest ways to get someone to make the decision right on the spot to buy a particular bike.

If the bike manufacturers would work to have a big show, but back it up with Amazon.com type support, so that you could demo ride a bike and sign up for the bike right on the spot. Banks would be there to give instant financing for those needing it. Maybe they could have the bike set up and ready to go by the next day. Vendors would be set up with enough product and staff to sell and install accessories while you wait (I remember at a Honda Hoot years ago where a friend bought a Givi rear tank that the vendor installed with the supporting brackets right as we waited, maybe an hour total). And at such a show, I might be willing to plunk down big bucks for a top of the line riding suit that the vendor would alter to fit perfectly right at the show. But I guess I am just dreaming. But wouldn't it be something to be able to ride to a show or rally, maybe stay in a motel overnight, then leave the next day with a new bike and gear, leaving your current ride behind as the trade-in if you wanted.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
My thoughts...
Exactly why I will never do Orlando again, The Prime Tourist area with Disney, Epcot, Sea World, Universal Studios & More .. Cussed the traffic all the way getting there, then disappointed with the Show and then fought worse traffic getting back home .. Won't happen again ..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Back in early 2000s, we were in Paris for a trip, and it just so happened that the yearly motorcycle show was there. So naturally my son and I jumped on the subway and went. It was incredible! Exciting, packed beyond belief, great entertainment. Europeans love their bikes way more than we do I think. Show here in San Francisco truly lame compared to the one in Paris.

·
Visionary
5,255 Posts
My thoughts...

The trip to the NYC show is less painful if you ride or drive to Weehawken, Park there and then take the ferry to the dock a block from the Javits center but it’s still not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
I also like having the IMS during winter, it's a nice break and starts to light the fires for spring riding.

Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Indian, and HD (but no Livewire) were the only factory booths at the Minneapolis show

Triumph has always been hit an miss. But no Ducati, KTM, and a few local dealers got a handful of BMWs to the show.

I talked to the Ride Superior guys for quite a bit, and my girlfriend talked at length to the VJMC guys about her old CB and got a lot of good leads on parts. The Vanderhall booth was pretty cool and we now have plans to rent one for a day this summer just to check one out. Other than those things, there really wasn't much of interest.

It was still a good time since we meet friends at the show and go out afterward, But the show itself was a bit of a let down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts