Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Suzuki DR250R that I got for $1,200 AUD five days ago (not running) and with the help of two friends went for our first ride yesterday! It needed an oil and fuel change, new clutch, battery, spark plug and a good clean - cost around $100 to get going and it runs really well!

Next job is to tune the suspension and forks and continue getting the rust off. I also want to clean the carby - any other old bike restoration tips?

Also - have to share that on our first ride the three of us ran right into the rangers! ? we were standing next to our bikes, they pulled up and we thought we were done for, then we got a thumbs up out the window and they proceeded to go offroading wildly over the 4-wheel drive tracks in the ranger car! ? absolute legends. I imagine because we’re women in our 30’s we don’t look like troublemakers? Little do they know ?‍♀

Progress pics, tips appreciated!
78B79DDF-E05D-40DE-B7C2-6EFC415BDE85.jpeg
6D19E472-8E28-45B7-84D1-BD8B2F95D63D.jpeg

·
American Legion Rider
21,791 Posts
You might not have to clean the carb if you run several tanks of something like Seafoam at the recommended proportions. More rather than less. Unless you just want to get inside to see how bad or not it is.

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I think it is best to get a service manual specific to that modal and preform every task in the maintenance schedule. A lot of times they can be found used for a reasonable price on the internet. But no price is too high even if you have to get a new one from a dealer.
That bike looks to be in pretty good condition, rust looks to be minimal.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
Everyone should have a 250 dirt bike. I do not. I used to have two. I was considering an XR200 last week. Not sure if they are street legal.

One carb is easy enough to remove and check, but often fresh gas and additives can help.

UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,129 Posts
Looks like a fun bike, enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts