Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an 08' Ninja EX-500R, I just came back from overseas and it has not been run in 18 months. I drained and refilled the engine oil, fuel, replaced the spark plugs, and the battery. When I try to start it up it turns over for a few seconds and then putts out any suggestions?? The carbs are spotless, and the starter relay is good too.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
What specifically do you mean by "turns over?" Does the bike start and then die, or is it having trouble cranking over with the starter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike starts up for a few seconds then dies out, I don't think a fuel stabilizer was put in. Air filter looks good I have not checked the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
runs a while and dies ...
runs a while and dies....
runs a while and dies,,,

lets see, gas ain't turned on?
sounds alot like it is either flooding or starving... I would say someone probably siphoned all your gas out shile you were away! hee hee

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the carbs, I checked those they are spotless. And I just put fresh fuel in the tank I think taking it apart my be my only option, but first I am going to check the fuel because I think it could be a problem with those. I keep looking maybe I'll find something. If anyone thinks of anything else let me know thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
It's not the carbs, I checked those they are spotless. And I just put fresh fuel in the tank I think taking it apart my be my only option, but first I am going to check the fuel because I think it could be a problem with those. I keep looking maybe I'll find something. If anyone thinks of anything else let me know thanks for all the help.
I hope you are right, but if you left it sit with gas with ethanol in it, the carbs can look OK if you only dropped the bowls, the fuel gets like a brown gel and gums up all the little ports inside the carb.
I had it with my quad, pulled the carb out and removed the bowl, all looked good, reassembled and it still did not run unless I left the choke half out. Pulled the carb again upon a friends suggestion, found several of the jets / ports plugged. Sea foam can break it down to a degree but the best solution is a thorough cleaning.
If its not a fuel problem, I would go through the ignition system very thoroughly.
Does that bike have a vacuum actuated fuel valve? Could there be a leak that is not allowing the fuel to stay on? From what I can find online it may.

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I was having issues with my Ex-500 after many months of not running there was a list of things that needed to be replaced to get it working well. Fuel Stabilizer was not used

They included:
Plugs,
IN LINE FUEL FILTER,
New fuel,
Oil replacement,
Seafoam treatment in gasoline only,
Carb cleaning at diaphragm only. This line is where the issue lies. If you dumped all of the fuel out of the carburetors when you cleaned them after replacing the fuel it will take a bit for them to fill back up with good fuel. You need to keep the choke open and let the carbs fill up until you have a steady running motorcycle. Not related to the starter.

Maybe that will help? Further pointing here > http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

1 - 12 of 12 Posts