Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike runs fine, starts up fine but on a run cuts out after 5 miles, restarts after a while and then runs again for 2-3 miles, renewed points plug, condenser, ignition coil, etc. New jets in carb and vent cap is ok, becoming very frustrated and run out of ideas. Would really appreciate if anyone could help.
Kind regards, Dennis710.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally sounds to me like a fuel pressure issue. It might just take a long time for the carb fill / pull ratio to have issue (5 miles).

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have a fuel filter I would check that too. There could be something restricting the fuel flow to the carbs.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Could also be a clogged petcock. I tend to agree it sounds like a fuel feed issue, and that is usually the easiest and cheapest place to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ts 90 suzuki 1972 keeps cutting out??

:mad:hi guys
problem ts 90 suzuki [ keeps stopping ]will check out fuel supply to carb.tomorrow if not fuel what electric component could be breaking down when it heats up would welcome your ideas
thanks Dennis710

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys
Thanks for help, have checked fuel supply and re cleaned carb 2 RUNS and still same problem, am now thinking something
is breaking down with heat could it be. primary coil.??
Last run i switched on lights and bike jumped and stuttered so is this related a short perha,very frustrated as bike starts and runs 100% for 5 miles Kind regards Dennis 710

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Try running with your gas cap off. Sounds like you've got a plugged tank vent. Fuel flows out but air can't come in to replace it, whole thing sucks a vacuum and won't flow any more fuel. Let it rest awhile, it's ok again.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Reccomend you check valve adjustment. Valves get ever so much longer when they heat up and it can be enough, if out of adjustment for them to not close, and you lose compression.

Perhaps put a vacuum gauge on it and WATCH as it dies to see if manifold vacuum goes to heck...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Wadenelson Sorry but my bike ,suzuki ts 90 is a 2 stroke not many around in uk so not a well known model .
Have taken off tank and fuel tap which was very clean ,am now strongly thinking its an electrical issue next to renew condensor be thankful for any other suggestions and help
Kind regards DENNIS710

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I'm not familiar with your bike but yes, coils can have heat related failures.

See if you can find the resistance values for your bike's coil and check them cold, then check them again immediately after the bike cuts off.

Another thing to try would be to let the bike idle and hold a heat gun to the coil and other parts of the system and see if you can induce a failure. If your bike has a points type ignition, try pointing the heat right at the condensor. (Not so hot as to start melting stuff, of course.)

Do you have a wiring diagram for this bike?

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Don't know much about 2 strokes but if the crankcase develops a sufficient air/vacuum leak they quit running, right?

Eye, he's replaced the coil; a double failure is unlikely.

Back to diagnosis 101, see what it's missing, fuel or spark. Add faux fuel and stick in a spark tester.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
I can't see a crank case leak causing this. He needs to run it until it quits and immediately yank the plug out and check for a fat blue spark. Or better yet get a spark gap tool and check to see it is getting adequate spark when the fault is actively occurring. Do this as quickly as possible and then slap the plug back in to see if the problem is still occurring.

It would be odd if it was one of the fresh ignition components, but life is stranger than fiction.

Less than $11.00 for one from MotionPro
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0122/

Personally, I've never had a condenser go bad, but I've had coil faults, spark plug boot faults, and HT lead faults.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HI GUYS
Have fitted yet another condenser [suzuki one ] not pattern part and happy to sayasauzuki ts 90 is running great ,ran for 24 miles no problem thanks for help guys.
Kind regards Dennis710

1 - 20 of 50 Posts