Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery was dead and I coldstarted it downhill in 2nd gear. It started, but backfired and all lights were erratic. It accelerated erratically until the clutch no longer engaged. I recharged the battery. Now the engine runs fine, but the drive no longer engages. Did the downhill start damege the clutch or driveshaft or what?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Just to confirm one thing before I move onto another....does 1st gear actually engage when you squeeze the clutch & kick the gear changer downward?

It's hard to tell without being there, but either your clutch took a dump, or your final drive did. I'd bet on the clutch if there is a failure involved. Once a clutch starts slipping, it's only a matter of time before it wears itself completely out, unless you're aware of the problem and purposely baby it.

I've never heard of a total final drive failure. Usually they start groaning & run hot, & they get repaired before stranding the owner aside the road. It's certainly possible for the pinion gear to snap, but I can't imagine the abuse it would require to achieve that. I've seen many stories about failed bearings & seals, but not the gears themselves.

If you can get the rear tire off the ground, do so and see if you can get any wheel movement at all with the engine's power. Even if the clutch is fried, it should be able to turn the rear wheel unloaded. If you get NO movement, it's either the transmission or the final drive. Sorry I can't be of more help...some things just require being there to see for myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tend to agree with you that it is more likely a clutch issue than a drive.
I have the bike on the center stand. When I put it in 1st gear and release the clutch, the rear wheel rotates slowly, but so weakly that I can easily stop it with my hand.
Any suggestions on what to do next?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Is there any kind of clutch adjustment you can try?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to my knowledge. I am trying to check the condition of the disks, but I am stuck right now, for I don't have the tool to remove the locknut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts