Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody probably ever does this but it will kill germs. Put hand sanitizer on your hands, rub your hands together. Now while still wet, rub your hand gently across your keyboards and phones. Not only will you kill the germs that lurk in these 2 most likely unsanitized places but it will smell good. Items made out of stainless steel are far more less likely to have alot of germs on them then say a non stainless steal item as germs have a hard time lurking on those surfaces. Now is the time to be more cautious of germs with the flu season just around the corner.

They sell this little bottle's of sanitizer's that have key chain clamps that can be hooked onto anything, like back packs and belt loops. Clipping one onto your child's backpack and teaching them to use the sanitizer more often especially at school can help prevent them and their classmates from catching something.

If they were to apply some sanitizer to their hands at school and rub their hands together then grab a door knob to a classroom and also touch a most common object that gets touched frequently while sanitizer is still wet on their hands they can all help sanitize areas and help prevent others from getting sick.

I encourage people to spread this onto their kids and help make their school a more sanitized, safer place for themselves and others.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Got any ideas for the gym?? ;)
Some of those folks are just nasty, it's gotten to where I hit the hand sanitizer at the gym, 4 or 5 times every time I go.

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
Anyone ever wonder what it's going to be like once the germs evolve into monster germs from using that stuff on everything? It's going to happen. Mark my words. Hard to beat soap and water but then you have to take the time to use them. But at some point we will have created some nasty super germs from using these sanitizers.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got any ideas for the gym?? ;)
Some of those folks are just nasty, it's gotten to where I hit the hand sanitizer at the gym, 4 or 5 times every time I go.
Do same thing at the gym. My gym has had sanitize wipes long before I started my membership back in 2001. They had sanitized stations all around the gym and in the tanning rooms as well. I always wiped down equipment and benches before using them.

We had a death of a 4 year old here in Jersey. The kid died from the enterovirus.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/10/06/enterovirus-d68-caused-new-jersey-boys-death-official-says/

Trying to educate the kids on the hazards that are out there even though they are young and really don't understand much of it all.

·
8,668 Posts
Anyone ever wonder what it's going to be like once the germs evolve into monster germs from using that stuff on everything? It's going to happen. Mark my words. Hard to beat soap and water but then you have to take the time to use them. But at some point we will have created some nasty super germs from using these sanitizers.
Yep, it's already supposed to be happening. That would be why I seldom use hand sanitizer unless I'm at the gym. But since I can't fully wipe down every piece of equipment before I use it and it's not feasible to wash my hands every time I touch something when I'm there, I use the sanitizer.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

My great grandmother predicted many moons ago that antiboitics would soon stop having an effect because ones body gets used to them. Then the bugs evolve and become resistant to the antibiotics. That has already happened. She was half native american and never in her life seen a doctor nor took any type of traditional medicines. Herbs where always her cure. She lived to a ripe old age of 98. You want your body used to some germs, without them, well you get sicker.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I haven't washed my hands in 45 years other than in the shower or after working on something I wouldn't want to put on my food. Had one flu shot about 20 years ago, never was more sick in my life. I take nothing more than aspirin, and only as a last resort. I have an immune system that hasn't been depleted by artificial chemical means. The only day of work I have missed since 1990 was because my wife had an emergency appendectomy and I needed to bring her home from the hospital.

Kids and adults now are far more sick than they were when I was growing up, and there isn't anything that will change my mind about it, or the fact that our employees are always out of sick pay.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Just an FYI, there is a lot of difference in hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and a real disinfectant. Hand sanitizers are optimal for situations where regular soap and water hand washing isn't an option. However, if you have soap and warm water available, this is a more effective method of cleaning your hands. Hand sanitizers are not however a good alternative for disinfecting surfaces. Sanitizing wipes are helpful when used properly but you really need to read what they will and will not kill. Lastly, a bleach containing solution is the best option for full disinfection. Sorry if this is long but we go through this at the clinic where I work every year, and I want to make sure people are informed.

·
8,668 Posts
I haven't washed my hands in 45 years other than in the shower or after working on something I wouldn't want to put on my food. Had one flu shot about 20 years ago, never was more sick in my life. I take nothing more than aspirin, and only as a last resort. I have an immune system that hasn't been depleted by artificial chemical means. The only day of work I have missed since 1990 was because my wife had an emergency appendectomy and I needed to bring her home from the hospital.

Kids and adults now are far more sick than they were when I was growing up, and there isn't anything that will change my mind about it, or the fact that our employees are always out of sick pay.
Yeah.... So... As an Auto Mechanic, I probably wash my hands 20-30 times a day and deal with fumes and chemicals every day. And in my 35 years of employment I've had maybe half a dozen sick days because of something that wasn't injury related.

Some folks are just more durable than others.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Last couple of years, I've used the handi-wipes on the basket or cart every time I've gone to the grocery store...

...Not a sniffle!

:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I haven't washed my hands in 45 years other than in the shower or after working on something I wouldn't want to put on my food.
Eat lunch right after you go to the John?

Dude, if we ever meet remind me not to shake your hand. Seriously. I don't want to grab a handful of your a$$.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Public restrooms are the "Must be cautious of" for me. I don't touch anything in one except the facet handles and with a paper towel. Use my boot or knee to open the door (if there is no knob to turn) and use my boot heal to flush the toilet or part of my arm that is protected with clothing to flush a urinal. But only use public restrooms as last resort if I really need to while inside a store or resturant.

Yes bleach is the best to use, though carrying it with you (bleach wipes) is not practical.

I always grab part of my clothing to open a public door knob if I'm not wearing gloves like in the winter months or during riding when riding season is present.

·
American Legion Rider
20,004 Posts
Hmm......you use parts of clothing to touch the germs so the germs stay with you the rest of the day rather than use you hands and wash.....hmmm.:confused:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Look at the free samples of cheese and such at the grocery store. If it involves using tongs or rummaging around in a box of toothpicks to get the thing to spear your cheese sample, just visualize someone taking a dump and not washing up and you will clearly see what you are actually putting in your mouth.
I have a tenant that is sort of a friend,and his best friend told me that Bruce NEVER washes his hands even after turning the air blue in the bathroom. Yep,he's the guy that hits the cheese samples at Kroger. The best friend has to use the air freshner when Bruce poops at his house and also observes at that time that the bathroom sink is perfectly dry... Oh,and Bruce was in an auto accident years back that resulted in a bowel resection and because of that the stink is just epically overwhelming. I saw him empty out a customer waiting room at an auto repair garage because he did not even bother to shut the door to the bathroom. [insert puke avatar here]

The three of us went for free prostate screenings at the James Cancer unit in Columbus. There were chemo patients there with masks on because of compromised immune systems. I told everyone in the group to be especially careful to wash their hands because of it.As a chemo patient myself,you would think that Bruce would show some respect--nope. We tag teamed Bruce to the restroom and he did not wash up either time. What a jerk. Fortunately the James provides more private restrooms close to the admitted patients rooms,but not all of the mask wearers use them. The instructions in the rooms there tell you to sit on the toilets to avoid urine splash,so that tells me that they are serious about patient safety.

Later that day,we stopped to eat and Bruce wanted to share a pizza. I told him I wanted a pizza too,but NFW was I gonna share one with someone with unwashed toilet hands. We ate at McD's instead.

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Hmm......you use parts of clothing to touch the germs so the germs stay with you the rest of the day rather than use you hands and wash.....hmmm.:confused:
Really you should be using paper towels to turn the faucet off, then to open the door as well. You wonder why there is a trash can next to the door? It is to throw the towel away that you used to open the door.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Coming to an airplane near you

http://www.wftv.com/news/travel/passenger-video-shows-ebola-scare-aboard-us-airway/nhf6G/?icmp=cmgcontent_internallink_relatedcontent_2014_partners5

Nothing to worry about here. ebola is not an airborne disease. But it is hard not to notice that the smurf suits have a self contained air supply.

Also good to know that if a guy was on board who was vomiting blood, there would still be a long delay with all the passengers expected to sit still and enjoy the show. Somehow I am thinking there could be a riot in that situation.

I am so done with airplane flights...

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And that's the reason why I have a can of lysol in my truck, so I can spray the area of clothing I used to touch the door to open. If lysol had a small key chain type aresol can I would carry it in my pocket and hit the door handle with it before touching it.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really you should be using paper towels to turn the faucet off, then to open the door as well. You wonder why there is a trash can next to the door? It is to throw the towel away that you used to open the door.
That's what I have been doing for a long time. Defeat the purpose of cleaning your hands then having to open the door to get out and possibly pick something up on your hands.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts