Motorcycle Forum banner

What are you?....Pretender or "real" rider?

• A real rider - I dare you to describe below

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • A pretender- Loud and Proud

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Pretending not to be a pretender

Votes: 7 16.7%
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
I get along well with a couple of the HA’s in my area. 2 in particular were regular customers of mine at O’Reilly’s and I had another customer that needed her alternator changed. I wasn’t able to help her we didn’t have enough people in the store for me to do the job. One of the HA’s asked what was up, I told him and he said he would help her out. She woman was almost terrified as the guys had their vests on clearly marking them as HA’s. I assured her these guys were good guys and they swapped her alternator in just a few minutes for her. By the time they were done she was far more relaxed and even talking with them. I would joke around with these guys but, even as easy going and as cool as they were I wouldn’t call them anything other than a real biker. Lol.
Why would they or anyone else care? Honestly, club guy can be a pain some times. Lone Star brings out the worst of them at times. As far as the big bad clubs, HA types, Mongols from my time in California when I was a kid you never really say them flying colors, but they were around. Same here. Used to be Banditos could be seen every weekend moving up and down highway 3 or especially 146 doing what they do. I get the impression they don't feel they have much to prove much to anyone. But the other local clubs can be down right turds.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Why would they or anyone else care? Honestly, club guy can be a pain some times. Lone Star brings out the worst of them at times. As far as the big bad clubs, HA types, Mongols from my time in California when I was a kid you never really say them flying colors, but they were around. Same here. Used to be Banditos could be seen every weekend moving up and down highway 3 or especially 146 doing what they do. I get the impression they don't feel they have much to prove much to anyone. But the other local clubs can be down right turds.
In my neighborhood we have HA and Banditos and not too far away there are some Mongols, for the most part they all get along and will even be seen at HD dealer rally’s, and the local biker bar together. I think the times of the huge lawlessness of the clubs is for the time being past, and if they are into that stuff still they keep it much more on the down-low. I have actually been pestered more with these young guys that like to stunt their sport bikes and ride like the road is theirs without a care as to who they hurt. I have even been pulled over due to these morons because I was the “last one in the group”. I told the cop I was not in that group and I just happened to be riding the same road as they all passed me sometimes one on each side. I also asked the cop if I was riding with them why am I on a cruiser and they are all on sport bikes. I guess since I was on my CTX700 it resembled a sport bike so close enough.

Reactions: El Sluggo

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
In my neighborhood we have HA and Banditos and not too far away there are some Mongols, for the most part they all get along and will even be seen at HD dealer rally’s, and the local biker bar together. I think the times of the huge lawlessness of the clubs is for the time being past, and if they are into that stuff still they keep it much more on the down-low. I have actually been pestered more with these young guys that like to stunt their sport bikes and ride like the road is theirs without a care as to who they hurt. I have even been pulled over due to these morons because I was the “last one in the group”. I told the cop I was not in that group and I just happened to be riding the same road as they all passed me sometimes one on each side. I also asked the cop if I was riding with them why am I on a cruiser and they are all on sport bikes. I guess since I was on my CTX700 it resembled a sport bike so close enough.

we dont see any bandidos anymore. not like we used to. what we DO see are a bunch of Sons Of a archy wanna bes. one called the sons of texas or some such. extreamly annoying because they go out of their way to be pigs. even their woman are as nasty to, and and you only see them on their bikes on sunny weekends, or when they are taking their bikes off the trailer at Lone Star. its people like them that give the others a bad rep.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
I think I am a real biker. When I was riding home today I found my self wishing I grabbed rain gear, dressed warmer, and if I could use rainex on my helmets visor. I tried riding faster, that just made me colder. So I sat and took it. I spotted someone sneaking a pic of me on my bike in the rain at a red light. Wonder if ill be on social media somewhere? Honestly, even in the cold (for Houston) rain with no radio, or rain gear unable to see I would rather ride then drive. I would just rather be alittle more dry and warm when I ride.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
Good rain gear is worth every penny you pay for it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It takes awhile to recover from hypothermia which you may have been borderline on.

Last winter I worked on a new to me truck that needed a head gasket. I finished around 2am (I really wanted to get it done!) and I didn't even notice that I was borderline until I crawled into bed and could not get warm. I ended up shivering for several hours even while sleeping. I could not get warm the next day either... But my truck was running!!

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
Damn. That’s being a die hard. It will only get worse as you get older unfortunately. I cannot keep my feet warm after getting a bad case of frostbite. Just short of having to remove my little toe. I now have a bed with a foot warmer and even when the temps are in the 80’s I might still have it on.

Reactions: Eagle Six

·
Registered
533 Posts
Damn. That’s being a die hard. It will only get worse as you get older unfortunately. I cannot keep my feet warm after getting a bad case of frostbite. Just short of having to remove my little toe. I now have a bed with a foot warmer and even when the temps are in the 80’s I might still have it on.

While I am not old... I'm not young any more either. I remember when I was a kid swimming in Puget Sound all year long and that included when it was snowing outside. The Polar Bear Plunge in Olalla was one of my favorite events. I would even stay in the water and help those jumpers that would panic after hitting the cold water. Now I cant stand the Puget Sound unless it is in the high 70's or better, preferably better and I don't handle cold well at all. I kinda figured this was going to get worse as I got older but man it sucks.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
yeah, im looking at better gear. its not so much the wet as the wind.
The combination of wet and wind is bone chilling. You can't stop the wind completely and still ride but you can the wet. Well unless you sweat profusely. And good gear even helps in that area.

·
Registered
2009 HD superglide FXD.
163 Posts
The combination of wet and wind is bone chilling. You can't stop the wind completely and still ride but you can the wet. Well unless you sweat profusely. And good gear even helps in that area.

oh yeah, aint that so! im going to walmart and grabbing some cheap PVC rain gear for now. ill look at some fancy stuff after christmas. For now it will be something like frog togs and layers.

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
You can find good values from just before Thanksgiving on into the new year. So be patient and check dealerships. Who cares what brand might be on rain gear but some of the best will be found there.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
I am a real rider that pretends my ass does not hurt during a long ride.

I know this is a old thread

·
American Legion Rider
22,141 Posts
I am a real rider that pretends my ass does not hurt during a long ride.

I know this is a old thread
I'm getting to be more and more like that. There was a time I could ride all day and not hurt. Today within 20 minutes I'm hurting and it just keeps getting worse from there. I'm to the point I wish something in my back would just go ahead a give up and put me on the ground so my neurosurgeon will be forced to operate. He won't touch me until then. It's a big unknown if I'll even walk, that's how screwed up my back is. But I'd sure like to know. Right now I have hope I might be pain free and ride but the longer I go the more I begin to wonder. I just wish it would happen and be done with it.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts