Motorcycle Forum banner

What are you?....Pretender or "real" rider?

• A real rider - I dare you to describe below

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • A pretender- Loud and Proud

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Pretending not to be a pretender

Votes: 7 16.7%
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Paramedic
860 Posts
WHAT CONSTITUTES A REAL RIDER? if it comes to how often you ride... i ride every day rain or shine hot, cold it really doesn't matter to me... i can ride wheelies, pull stoppies etc. every opportunity i get drag peg in the turn, i ride hard all of the time. bought new treads 3 weeks ago... rear is already wore out... i ride all gear all the time.. i paid too much for my gear not to wear it... run my bike to the rev limiter in 6th gear without hesitation... that was pretty effin fast and pretty stupid... when i talk to friends about bikes... none of that comes up unless they ask... i told you all because you asked... my first 4wheeler was bought for me when i was 3, my mom rode me on it till i could ride it myself.. been racing motorcross all my life.. gave it up recently due to my knees... does any of this make me a real rider??? who cares....
I think you are pretending to do all that:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
822 Posts
So you tell me folks? AM I just a phony Biker (Rider) or what? I know I feel like one – a rider who doesn’t ride much if at all anymore but once upon a time did.
LRG :cool:
LRG, your love for riding hasn't diminished....it's simply matured. I'm pretty sure that's a true sign of a "real rider". ;)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
LRG, you are definitely a real rider. A medical problem doesn't change your DNA, right??

·
Registered
470 Posts
a Real Rider, b/c IMO a "real" rider is one who rides for the joy of riding... not for tricks or living on the dangerous side.

A pretender IMO are those who buy/ride bikes for other people's sake. They ride what they ride or ride how they ride for the purpose of attracting attention to him/herself. And I don't mean being visible for the sake of safety, but attracting people for the sake of getting a reaction... don't go there! ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe I'm a real rider - every day, rain or shine. Though I had to take the cage today because my oil and filter haven't arrived yet.:( (dealer out of Suzuki Performance 4 10W40...)

·
Very Famous Person
9,874 Posts
--
I've only been riding for less than two months (since I quit 43 years ago), but have put on 6,000 miles since getting this bike. However, I only ride when I feel like it, so maybe I'm a pretender. I've had a dozen "current sports/activities" in the last 30 years--each one is a big deal for 3-4-maybe 5 years, then I move on.

I do admit that I care what other people think. Maybe some people can claim to only be their own person, but unless you're a hermit somewhere, I doubt it. Why do you comb your hair? Why do you wash your car? Why do you use certain table manners? We just have different degrees of behavior to please others.

RonK

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
--
I've only been riding for less than two months (since I quit 43 years ago), but have put on 6,000 miles since getting this bike. However, I only ride when I feel like it, so maybe I'm a pretender.
no Ron, your not a pretender, at least I don't think so. I think every person on this Forum (that has a bike, even if it was just bought) is a "Real" Rider. We all ride for the love of riding, there may be some who wanted better gas mileage at first, but as soon as they got that bike and started riding, they started loving it. That to me, is a "real" Rider.

Why do you comb your hair? Why do you wash your car? Why do you use certain table manners? We just have different degrees of behavior to please others.
RonK
why do I comb what hair? :eek: wash a car? how do you do that? :confused: and what the hell are table manners? :confused::confused:
Ron your confusing me man, making my head hurt again. :D

·
track junkie
797 Posts
I guess you could say i'm a pretender, since i haven't ridden more than 100 miles on the street this year.

i have done about 2000 track miles this year, and have ridden a trackday a month since march.

i miss riding more though.

L

·
0 Posts
Oh man, I couldn't agree more! Thanks for being 'man enough' to friggin' admit it! Most buggers won't - and BS 'Posturing' remains frackin' eternal! :rolleyes: Nuff' said.

LRG :cool:

...I do admit that I care what other people think. Maybe some people can claim to only be their own person, but unless you're a hermit somewhere, I doubt it. Why do you comb your hair? Why do you wash your car? Why do you use certain table manners? We just have different degrees of behavior to please others. RonK

·
Registered
326 Posts
I put myself into the pretender category with the caveat "for now". I am new (around 300 miles) and am still getting used to riding. Next spring, I will be commuting to work, about 35 miles each way. My intent is to ride unless the weather is really bad. I got the bike because I thought it would be fun, and I am keeping it because now I know it is. It doesn't sound like fun fighting commuter traffic in a downpour, but I will probably try it once to find out. Maybe once I start commuting I will change my status, but for now: pretender, loud and proud!

·
Very Famous Person
9,874 Posts
I put myself into the pretender category with the caveat "for now". I am new (around 300 miles) and am still getting used to riding. Next spring, I will be commuting to work, about 35 miles each way. My intent is to ride unless the weather is really bad. I got the bike because I thought it would be fun, and I am keeping it because now I know it is. It doesn't sound like fun fighting commuter traffic in a downpour, but I will probably try it once to find out. Maybe once I start commuting I will change my status, but for now: pretender, loud and proud!
--
Ridguy,
I'm not sure how much, or when you're riding now, but just to ride for commuting seems to me to be just a necessary chore to give you bug infested clothing and helmet hair when you get to work. If it's more convenient, just use the cage for that. Get your pleasure after work when you get home and you can take your special gal out for a spin, or on the weekend when the sun is overhead or the leaves are swirling around the trees. Or (if you're lucky enough to have them) take one of your kids for a ride to a distant store in the foothills where you can get a couple of ice cream bars--heck, riding with Daddy is something they will always want to do and you know you'll be having fun.

I would add, though, that the riding double should wait until you've got some more miles and confidence under your belt.

RonK ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Real Old Rider

I didn't start until I was 20 because motorcycles always scared me. 45 years later and I'm not so scared anymore. I have had dozens of bikes from 90cc to 1200['89 FJ].
From 25 on there has always been more than one in the garage. My favorite dirt bike was my KDX200. I now ride a 2000 XR400 because it is such a nice puppy dog for on old geeze. No surprises.
On the street I have had only one Gold Wing[38,000 boring miles], and only one Harley[ Chopped '62 pan-Denver frame-way long wide glide-suicide clutch-lots of fun in it's own way]. My favorite streeters have been my wife's 250 Ninja and her current Buell Blast, my FJ torque monster, any of the 5 Viragos we have owned['94 750 currently], and my current fave-'01 SV 650.
My favorite Dual Sport is the '95 250DR that is currently in the garage.
I ride to work[9mi] most days, rain or shine, or even light snow. I have done it in the ice to prove how God looks out for idiots and small children.
If I outlive my ability to ride I will be a bitter old man. What can one do other than ride to feel connected?

·
Registered
326 Posts
--
Ridguy,
I'm not sure how much, or when you're riding now, but just to ride for commuting seems to me to be just a necessary chore to give you bug infested clothing and helmet hair when you get to work. If it's more convenient, just use the cage for that. Get your pleasure after work when you get home and you can take your special gal out for a spin, or on the weekend when the sun is overhead or the leaves are swirling around the trees. Or (if you're lucky enough to have them) take one of your kids for a ride to a distant store in the foothills where you can get a couple of ice cream bars--heck, riding with Daddy is something they will always want to do and you know you'll be having fun.

I would add, though, that the riding double should wait until you've got some more miles and confidence under your belt.

RonK ;)
I understand your arguments and know that commuting won't be as fun as riding under other circumstances. However, the problem is that my daughter is too young to ride, and I need to arrange for and pay a babysitter if I want to take my wife out, so that tends to require some planning ahead. If I ride to work, I can take the looong way home :D and get some nice riding in, then when I get home I can help with homework, yard work, etc... I have figured out the schedule so I can get about 3 hours of riding on Sundays (they go to church and I don't), but to be honest, I am really into my family and want to spend Saturdays with them pretty much exclusively. We try very hard to guard our Saturdays from the rest of the world.

Even though I am pretty new at this, I find myself wanting to get back on the bike as soon as I get off, and wishing I was on the bike when I am in the cage. I figure commuting will either feed or kill that urge. Even though I will be commuting, I still plan on spending some fun time on the bike. Once our daughter gets older, my wife and I would like to take some long distance camping trips on the bike. She is pretty anxious for me to get enough experience for her to climb onto the pillion, but I also need a bigger bike before that happens.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts