Motorcycle Forum banner

What are you?....Pretender or "real" rider?

• A real rider - I dare you to describe below

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • A pretender- Loud and Proud

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Pretending not to be a pretender

Votes: 7 16.7%
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your either a 'real rider", pretending to not to be a pretender or you are a pretender?

Let's find out with this poll.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I really don't care where people think I fit. I just ride because I love to do it. Others can think what they wish. That's their right in this great country.

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,705 Posts
I suppose I'm a real rider. I ride as often as I can (which isn't as often as I like). I ride fairly hard. I ride dirt also. I don't care what others ride but you couldn't give me a cruiser right now. I'm way too old to be a squid and I wear a good amount of gear so that's out.

A

·
0 Posts
I think I'm a "real rider". I'm 49 and started riding at 16. I've had a lot of close calls and a couple of crashes over the years and I'm confident that at this point I can ride as safely as anyone else. I love riding and can't imagine ever giving it up. I respect others both on and off the road, (especially fellow bikers). I love motorcycles - all of 'em (even Harleys - though I think they are a tad overpriced)

I suppose that I would NOT be considered a "real rider" if the title required things like:

-wheelying / stunting (I don't feel comfortable risking my investment for that crap)
-constantly driving like a bat out of hell (I speed a little sometimes but only if I feel it is safe to do so with the given road / traffic conditions)
-riding no matter what the weather (I'll take the car if it's raining or really cold)

My own opinion of the definition of a "real rider":
- somebody like... me :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think I'm a real rider (though the wife tries to push me into being a pretender). As far as I'm concerned its about having a passion for something and enjoying it as often as you can. This hasn't been a high mileage year for me, and I ride bikes that some people look down upon. I still don't care and just love to get out on the open road and just ride. Maybe next year I can get a bigger bike so I can enjoy myself for longer runs at a time. (Gotta keep the misses in a car that keeps her happy before I can buy the stuff I want.)

·
Triumph Guy
516 Posts
I really don't care where people think I fit. I just ride because I love to do it. Others can think what they wish. That's their right in this great country.
AMEN brother

I ride It is october and my bike is in the shed with stablizer to day. Only because there are leafes everwere and keeps raining and i had to put other things in there behind it. I ride for 6 to 7 mounths and put 3000 on my bike its not a lot but i ride every day to work and back. Call me what ever you want I put more miles on then most people. And would put more on if I did not have a 2 year old on my days off.

Chuck

·
Registered
313 Posts
Im a real rider, and to answer your dare.... I am a real rider because my reason for riding is that I absolutly love it, I didnt get a bike for an improved social status or for chicks or anything. I got a bike because when I ride all the problems in the world seem to just fall behind, I ride because I absolutly love the amount of controll I feel over the vehicle I'm driving. Bikes are amazing you can control percicly how much breaking is applied to both the rear and front seperatly, more percicly than a car the amount of throttle applied, and how sharp a turn can be taken by how far you dare to lean. A car, compared to a bike, just seems primitive. I mean honestly how many people jump in there car just to go ride for a few hours, you wouldnt dare with gas prices nowa days. Riding is more than a hobby for me, its a lifestyle.

Had my bike for 2 and a half weeks now. 1600 miles on it bought brand new, never even started.

C

·
0 Posts
Look at my post

Look at my post under I'm COMING OUT! "I am a pretender! on this forum.

Now where do you think you fit?

Ride safe & long,
Colorado Fats

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I'm a real rider. I've ridden somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000 miles so far this year, in all weather.

L

·
0 Posts
Professional Bench Racer?

I chose "A real rider - I dare you to describe below..." but admittedly I just may not qualify any mores....? :eek: It's a subject that quite frankly is heavy on my mind, heart and spirit. For a major portion of my life I really DID virtually eat, sleep and LIVE motorcycles... despite some very bad incidents overall it still remains the best part of my (past) life. But these days... I just dunno. I got the bikes, but except (now) for the Online Forums, my 'daily biking experience' is just about zilch. Quite a far cry from years past when I’d get up in the weekend mornings – EVERY weekend (rain or sunshine, ANY time of year!) wondering “where to ride today”? 400,000+ miles worth those first 18 years… however the second 18 (36+ years riding total) have been virtually nada. A LOT of factors (and feeble excuses) could be attributed to this, but why bother? They’re just that – EXCUSES. And far too many people got way too many excuses for anything and everything they do – and I don’t wanna’ be a hypocrite and be one of them. Yeah, the MS (Multiple Sclerosis) was a major excuse, no denying it. I didn’t know quite what to expect 10+ years ago when it was diagnosed (and obviously I’d had it a long time before this). It’s sapped my strength among other things and there’s no going back or cure. That’s life – deal with it. Working all the damn time (seriously… ALL the damn time!) for NO friggin’ money sure don’t help either. But I’m committed (or perhaps should be ‘committed’?) to making my wife happy NO matter what. And so I work (and work some more…). The ONLY thing accomplished these days IS our helping local Animal Shelter and saving some lives WORTHY of saving. Feel good about that, one of the few things these days I do….

So you tell me folks? AM I just a phony Biker (Rider) or what? I know I feel like one – a rider who doesn’t ride much if at all anymore but once upon a time did. Just sad or pathetic – you tell me? I don’t know no mores – that’s the gawd honest truth. Meanwhile Sunday or not, BACK to work! Nuff’ said.

LRG :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,070 Posts
The question should be asked internally and answered internally.

Worrying what others think...well, why do that? They think what they think.

Grasshopper.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put more miles on my bike during the off season than both the summers I've had it. I think that makes me more of a 'real' biker than a pretender.

·
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre
137 Posts
I consider myself a real rider. I ride when I can. I ride for transportation but mostly just to ride. I don't care how much gas I burn (sorry to the environment) and I wave to any rider I see, I am no better than them and the other way around.

·
Biker for Life
822 Posts
I am a biker - full stop, so are other people who enjoy riding bikes. I am extreme though, I love my bike more than I love anything else, it gives me my freedom and space to be who I am, not who others want me to be. I ride to escape from reality, and silly as it seems, as I ride solo all the time, I ride to escape from being alone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
WHAT CONSTITUTES A REAL RIDER? if it comes to how often you ride... i ride every day rain or shine hot, cold it really doesn't matter to me... i can ride wheelies, pull stoppies etc. every opportunity i get drag peg in the turn, i ride hard all of the time. bought new treads 3 weeks ago... rear is already wore out... i ride all gear all the time.. i paid too much for my gear not to wear it... run my bike to the rev limiter in 6th gear without hesitation... that was pretty effin fast and pretty stupid... when i talk to friends about bikes... none of that comes up unless they ask... i told you all because you asked... my first 4wheeler was bought for me when i was 3, my mom rode me on it till i could ride it myself.. been racing motorcross all my life.. gave it up recently due to my knees... does any of this make me a real rider??? who cares....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts