Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is not related to motorcycles. I need a pressure washer to clean up my patio and fence. I looked around on Craigslist and at Home Depot and have more questions than l started with. Gas or electric? Honda, Briggs & Stratton, or Subaru? New or used? You can get one for $79 or $799...what is the pricepoint at which you get into quality? Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
go for the one that has a higher psi per second. you will get more gunk off. I'd get the ones with the different size nozzles for the job you need done. How often you would use it should effect how much money you are willing to spend. I'd go gas, but to make sure you put the additive in it so the ethenol doesn't kill it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Having worked at a small engine place, I'd say get a gas unit, Briggs & Stratton, $400 or less. (Honda just costs you more and isn't 20% better)

None of them seem to feed soap correctly; I'd just give up on that feature. (You have to use a low pressure setting to even try...)

#1 thing is drain it AND store in a heated space in winter or the pump will freeze and crack and it's very nearly cheaper to buy a new unit than to repair the pump, PLUS waiting on parts, etc.

I've bought a couple of 'em in pawn shops, around $100 apiece, but BE SURE and test 'em out before purchase, make sure the nozzle is there, etc. You don't want to make two trips; one to return it... one would only run on CHOKE, the main jet was clogged up; had to rebuild the carb. Arrrghjhh!

Hook the water supply up and turn it on BEFORE cranking the motor, you may need to "release compression" by holding the nozzle open while tugging on the rope. Running the pump dry is never a good idea especially in these days of teflon and graphite piston rings, rubber o-rings, gaskets, etc.

Have you considered just renting one instead of permanently destroying 4 more square feet of garage area?

Get Ir' Done!

·
So long
2,753 Posts
I have a Homelite Honda gas powered 2700 psi pressure washer.

It has a 160cc ohv engine and has been trouble free since I bought it 3 years ago. I paid about $250 for it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have an electric to clean the fence and cement around the pool. Anything more than that I would get a gas unit.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input guys. I have talked to a few of my friends today and l think l have come to the conclusion that l will just buy a new one this week. It just seems like the kind of toy that could become a huge headache if someone else didn't take good care of it, and they really aren't THAT expensive.

And thanks for the tip Oz...l was actually looking at that one this morning on HomeDepot's website, l believe it was $279.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
And thanks for the tip Oz...l was actually looking at that one this morning on HomeDepot's website, l believe it was $279.
If you have an American Express card check your reward points for Home Depot gift cards. Before retiring I'd convert reward points for at least $500 a year in gift cards.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
l ended up getting an electric one given to me. lt is supposedly like new and only been used a couple times. The price was right. l will be breaking it in on Friday

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the electric pressure washer worked great, but did not put out the power necessary to get the job done this year. So l went and bought a gas one...Sears was having a sale, 2700psi, 2.3gpm, for under $300 out the door. Let's see how this baby does!

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I've got a gas powered unit. Didn't even look at the electric models.

Being in the oilfield, frac'ing, for 20 years, I've built, rebuilt, and fuddled with enough pumps and engines to know what I'm doing...

To put it another way, as you've learned, even a FREE turd isn't worth eating.

·
American Legion Rider
20,012 Posts
That electric might be the ticket to knock crud off the bike though. Just don't point at electronics or wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
Power baby.

My electric removed loose dirt stuff and was probably safer aiming at the bike. It quit, so I bought a Honda powered unit with more pressure. It blew some paint right off the belch mobile, and some of the bondo. I am gonna have to roll on a fresh coat of paint again.
With the adjustable nozzle it can be used on the bikes at a safe distance, and avoiding the sensitive parts as others have said.
Around he we get lots of tree bits and growth on the roofs. My shed and all new buildings will have steel roofs. The PW will be used to clean the roofs.
Stuff just goes green around here. The PW is the primary cure.
A well insulated and heated garage is in my future. Does not need to be hot, but just above the dew point.

Unkle Crusty*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts