Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in beginner introductions, so I'll leave off that whole spiel for now. :coffeescreen:

I begin my journey with two things in mind: safety and budgeting. My rides will probably be restricted to commuting around town and weekend country roads, seeing the sights, and just practicing until I'm comfortable enough for longer--interstate... trips. My BRC is scheduled for August 23rd in Ohio. After I get my new state license, I'll be all set to buy a bike!

My budget for a new ride is 3k. Absolutely no more. Also, I decided not to buy something with ABS for my first bike.

I've picked out a few. CBR250's seem a bit more expensive, but worth the price. I think the Ninja250 is the most available in my area, so I could probably settle on one of those. Especially if its a beater bike. And then there are the 300 bikes, which would also be fine, if I can find a used one. For a CBR it looks like prices are around 2700. I found a 2007 Ninja250 for 2200.

For gear I allotted $1k. I mean, whats safety worth?
Gloves - Basic Alpinestar gloves. $40
Jacket - Alpinestars TGP Pro Textile. $300
Boots - A-stars SMX 6 - I bought these gently used. Is that weird? $90
Helmet - HJC Cage Helmet - Carbon Fiber blend. $320

Questions:
1. Riding pants? Necessary?
2. Carburated bikes? Yes? No?
3. Should I be wary of buying from private sellers?
4. My driveway is gravel ><. I have no garage. Bike cover?
5. Ohio is COLD. Anything I should do to prepare my bike? Else?
6. Haggling the dealer for lower prices... is it a thing with motorcycles?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
One thing I've been told.....there's never a price tag for safety. You don't need to be cool or look like you belong to some rough tough MC Club, just need to protect your jewels. Gravel driveway----easy on her, gravel has chewed up and spit out many experienced drivers. Never leave the bike without some sort of shelter. Never offer dealer full price. Tell them what you want to pay (within reason of course) and if they don't like it try the next one. You can always go back. I got 800 off my bike cause I told them if they wanted cold hard cash, this is what I got, take it or leave it......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome to riding Puppycat! For your questions:

1 - Yes consider riding pants to be very important. But you can get a set of "armored jeans" style pant for around $100. They usually look just like regular jeans though, so they don't look "weird" if your're walking around wearing them like more dedicated motorcycling pants would.

2 - Carburated bikes shouldn't be a deal breaker but I would prefer FI of course. FI bikes start/run better and will get better fuel economy.

3 - You should be wary of private sales IF you aren't mechanically savvy & don't know much about motorcycles. I would say the same thing for someone buying a CAR whom wasn't "car smart." Having said that, buying a used bike from a dealership would be a safer option (generally but not always)

4 - A bike cover would be essential. Better still if you can get ahold of one of those heavy canvas "temporary garages" they make ones just big enough for a motorcycle, if you have room for that. My neighbor doesn't have a garage either, and bought one of those canvas shelters.

5 - COLD as in snow/ice in winter? As in "storing the bike" for winter? Then the canvas shelter would be awesome. However a nice thick bike cover would also do in a pinch.

6 - Heck yeah, haggle! Even for a new bike purchase! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to riding Puppycat! For your questions:

1 - Yes consider riding pants to be very important. But you can get a set of "armored jeans" style pant for around $100. They usually look just like regular jeans though, so they don't look "weird" if your're walking around wearing them like more dedicated motorcycling pants would.

2 - Carburated bikes shouldn't be a deal breaker

4 - A bike cover would be essential.
Thanks for the advice and welcome! I'll invest in some riding jeans, as well as a good bike cover. I really wish my mechanical knowledge was good enough to check out a private sellers bike. I'm going to start watching a lot of videos on YouTube. As for the cold, I meant to ask if there is anything upkeep wise that bikes need. Living in a warmer state, I'm not really used to 20 degree weather. It barely gets to freezing.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
As far as storing the bike for the cold months. You'll always find two people that disagree about either using stabilizer or draining the tank and carb. Personally, I feel either way is better than leaving just gas in the tank for a long time. The gas they use now breaks down real quick and can gum up things in a heartbeat. My bike will be in my basement once riding season ends, so I will do the drain the tank method, but also add a touch of stabilizer to the last bit of gas and run the bike till it quits running. This way, incase a few ounces or so get left behind, atleast it has the stabilizer. I do the same for all my lawn equipment and generators. Living in OH, you may want to purchase a generator, you'll find going from warm climate to cold climate disturbing the first time you lose power in a snow storm....

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I posted in beginner introductions, so I'll leave off that whole spiel for now. :coffeescreen:

I begin my journey with two things in mind: safety and budgeting. My rides will probably be restricted to commuting around town and weekend country roads, seeing the sights, and just practicing until I'm comfortable enough for longer--interstate... trips. My BRC is scheduled for August 23rd in Ohio. After I get my new state license, I'll be all set to buy a bike!

My budget for a new ride is 3k. Absolutely no more. Also, I decided not to buy something with ABS for my first bike.

I've picked out a few. CBR250's seem a bit more expensive, but worth the price. I think the Ninja250 is the most available in my area, so I could probably settle on one of those. Especially if its a beater bike. And then there are the 300 bikes, which would also be fine, if I can find a used one. For a CBR it looks like prices are around 2700. I found a 2007 Ninja250 for 2200.

For gear I allotted $1k. I mean, whats safety worth?
Gloves - Basic Alpinestar gloves. $40
Jacket - Alpinestars TGP Pro Textile. $300
Boots - A-stars SMX 6 - I bought these gently used. Is that weird? $90
Helmet - HJC Cage Helmet - Carbon Fiber blend. $320

Questions:
1. Riding pants? Necessary?
2. Carburated bikes? Yes? No?
3. Should I be wary of buying from private sellers?
4. My driveway is gravel ><. I have no garage. Bike cover?
5. Ohio is COLD. Anything I should do to prepare my bike? Else?
6. Haggling the dealer for lower prices... is it a thing with motorcycles?
Riding pants is a personal choice. I have never owned any but I have watched Grand Prix riders get up after a low side and walk away. They do work.
Carbureted bikes. No problem unless you are ready to start tweaking the tuning for more power. That is not normally a thing a new rider will do.
Private sellers can be your best source for a good deal but it requires more caution than using a dealer.
Gravel is a PITA on a bike. With no garage you will at least want a cover to keep the snow off the bike.
It depends what you intend to do when it gets cold out. I keep right on riding unless there is snow on the road so I do not do winter preps. People who store over winter use a battery tender to keep the battery good and use fuel conditioner to keep the fuel from going bad during storage.
Haggling with a dealer: treat it the same way you would when bargaining for a car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Riding pants is a personal choice. I have never owned any but I have watched Grand Prix riders get up after a low side and walk away.
I picked up a pair of scorpions for $120. Kevlar lined from waist to below the knee. I'll get some inserts too I guess, eventually. I don't really want to be looking like the terminator - but better that than without a kneecap or something ><.

Had a dealer email me about a Ninja 300. New of course. It's an option, but if I went that route, there's no way I could pay up front. For 4k I would have to finance for 2 years. That's kinda scary, especially if I decide I wanna sell it and upgrade.

In dealing with a private seller, I feel like I would be really easy to scam. I better do my research ><

·
Registered
633 Posts
That's kinda scary, especially if I decide I wanna sell it and upgrade.
That's the cost of doing things the right way. You don't want a bike that's too power or heavy right out of the gate.

Since I see Ninja and CBR, I take it your inclined toward a sport bike?

It's a personal preference, but $300 a pop for jacket and helmet seems like a lot. I picked up a new old stock Firstgear Mesh jacket on ebay for $60 and a $60 helmet. That'd leave you more to spend on the bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a personal preference, but $300 a pop for jacket and helmet seems like a lot. I picked up a new old stock Firstgear Mesh jacket on ebay for $60 and a $60 helmet. That'd leave you more to spend on the bike.
Yeah, I'm trying to be conscious of the price/protection.

Though I'm sure if I had a major accident, I would wish I spent even more. As for the bike, I'm not looking at anything over 300cc right now. I've been warned of the dangers involved with new riders opening the throttle when they don't know the power of the engine ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, any advice on getting a motorcycle shipped? Would I be able to receive it at my house, or should I ship it to a mechanic?

This may be the inexperience talking, but I'm assuming it wouldn't ship and be ridable right off the truck.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It depends on where you buy a bike. If it is coming from an out of state dealer I would expect it to be ready to ride just like it would be at a dealer down the street. If you are looking at one of those too cheap to be real deals, who knows what you are getting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It depends on where you buy a bike. If it is coming from an out of state dealer I would expect it to be ready to ride just like it would be at a dealer down the street. If you are looking at one of those too cheap to be real deals, who knows what you are getting.
I hear ya. If I buy online, I probably would only buy from a dealer. But I'd rather be in person of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts