Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride my bike to work every chance I get and it is a 30 mile each way commute so I only don't ride when it is supposed to rain. I've done a pretty good job of making calculated risks for rain with the two weather apps I have. I basically look at the 8am and 5pm hour to see if or how much a probability there is of rain, I check the night before and the morning before I leave. I had a pretty good run going but then I got rained on today luckily no high winds or major storm but just some annoying rain. My basic rule is that if there is under a 50% chance of rain during those two hours, and I factor in the odds before and after too, then I ride and if over I don't. How do you make your decision of whether or not to ride to work?

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I used to ride if I knew one of the legs was going to be dry, either to or from work.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I remember the days when I owned a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top..........

Predicting "rain" or any sort of inclement weather was key in having a dry and enjoyable ride.

There were other nuances associated with the Jeep, like having to zip and unzip things. I used to take the doors off as well, on a regular basis.

At least with the bike, I don't have all that extra work to do!

That said, I am sort of a weather snob (as most of us "riders" are, I suppose). I watch, I try and predict, and I always remember that those weatherpersons are not 100%. At best, they can only be about 80% right. There are always those "oops" moments.

In the end, if the rain is just that..........."rain," it's like having a Scottish Car Wash (as my Dad would say). The only REAL "drag" of course, is having to walk into work "wet" and be soggy for a while, which I don't much like.

I USED to ride my bike back-n-forth to work every day, but I don't any longer. Primarily because my employer has been gracious enough to grant me a parking spot right be the side door near where my office is, and it is as a result of the trouble I've been having with my spine. It feels abusive & arrogant to think of parking my motorcycle in that spot, which is essentially a "Handicap" spot.

However, I ride some evenings, but mostly on weekends now. I don't typically go for extended rides, unless I have a trip planned, and if the weather looks "iffy," I'll default to not riding.

I know to some in here, that makes me a "weekend warrior" and a "wimp" on some level, and I'll accept that. At least I "ride!!"

-Soupy

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have to wear office clothes to work so, when I ride I just zip leather chaps over the office pants & wear a Kevlar jacket.

No riding in the rain :(

On top of browsing weather apps on my smartphone I also listen to the morning radio forecast. Also I like to use one of those "home weather stations" that charts barometric trends. If the barometer is dropping I take the car..

..fortunately my car is a convertible Mustang so all isn't lost :biggrin:

Yeah Soupy I had a couple of Jeep Wranglers too. "dropping the top" was such a major PITA that I only tried it once for each Jeep. The Mustang top drops in less than 30 seconds!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
What is this 'work' of which you speak?

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
The only thing rain determines is which bike I ride. I don't ride the bobber in the rain so if there's a solid chance of it I take the Ninja. If it's probably not going to rain, I'll ride either of them.

·
14,359 Posts
You remember what it was. Think back to your youth when you had a job and worked and did something productive, before you went in the Navy.
That's a long time ago you weren't even a gleam in your daddy's eye

·
Super Moderator
565 Posts
I carry rain gear so whether or not it's going to rain is not of much importance to me. I work in a shop and wear a company issued uniform so I don't worry if my work clothes get a little damp in a place or two.

In fact I got poured on coming home the other day. Realized I needed to "anti fog" my helmet visor and sunglasses again because I found myself having a "can't see anything!" issue. When I got home I left a puddle in the garage where I took off my gear but my clothes underneath were bone dry. :)

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Ugh, I ride rain or shine, but I will never like pulling on wet gear the next day when it doesn't dry out overnight. I've got a rain jacket and pants (when I'm prepared) but my boots and gloves aren't waterproof.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
My rule was simple. If it's not raining, ride. If I run into it 2 minutes down the road, tough. Used that rule for 20 years until I retired. I still pretty much go by it now although I can easily wait a day if I want and do now.:D

·
14,359 Posts
I have boot covers and glove covers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My rule was simple. If it's not raining, ride. If I run into it 2 minutes down the road, tough.
Almost. If it is raining or I really believe it's going to rain, I'll truck it. I get asked, "Don't you know it's going to rain today?" with a screwed up face a lot. I just tell them bikes run in the rain. I usually guess right though and enjoy a dry ride both ways. Usually.

What I won't intentionally do is ride to work or set out from the house to wherever knowing it is or will rain. A pickup truck is just a better tool for that job.

My decision mainly comes from my favorite local weather forecast. WFAA here is more accurate than any other. If they seem iffy, I look at the Weather Channel, too. Screw AccuWeather. InaccuWeather is more like it. I also like Wunderground for radar and historical data. Not so much their forecast, though.

·
Premium Member
8,944 Posts
Easy decisIon

If you work Monday to Friday, and ride to work, then you ride the bike on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I recall one day at the races and some guys were suggesting canceling the races on account of pissing rain. I suggested those girls could go home, and the rest off us would start the races on time.

I rode my 68 350 Kawasaki to work through downtown Honolulu when the lower streets were flooded.

Uncle Crusty

·
Registered
473 Posts
If the morning commute is going to be dry I'll ride to work. I just don't want to arrive to work wet.

Ride home? Don't care. I've been caught in light rain and downpours on the way home and just strip down when I get home and dry off.

Always carry light rain gear just in case.

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I put on 140 +/- miles a day to and from work.

I've left the house with 0% chance of rain at home and 0% chance at the office, per the weather channel, and got soaked 20 miles from home.

I ride. I've had a wet ass before, and I'll have a wet ass again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts