Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but PLEASE be careful and sensible out there, folks. We had a young couple killed in a bike crash this week in our county. If there were ever two preventable fatalities, these were them. Facts:

1. Riding a brand-new bike (had it 2 days), much bigger than he had ever ridden before;

2. In the wee hours of the morning;

3. Heading home from a bar;

4. Wearing no helmets;

5. Estimated speed of 82 mph;

6. Misjudged a curve, went off a steep embankment, both hit trees.

Sad, sad, sad. And stupid. And totally unnecessary. Two 25-year-olds, planning a November wedding.:sad:

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Yeah it is SAD, the freaking PERFECT STORM. Sometimes removing just 1 element changes the outcome but not here.
Which 'If only they didn't. . . ' was it?

Riding a bike much more powerful than he ever rode and just not used to the power it had?

Getting bombed on booze?

Riding way over the limit and maybe not knowing the area or road?

Riding without helmets?

Yeah it was stupid because it never had to happen, maybe if someone noticed they were drunk,
someone could have let the air out of their tires, Frankly though they might have been around till
the next time, this was not flirting with the grim reaper, this was marrying him.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
We had two on a bike killed two nights ago on a divided limited access highway. Cage was driving east in the west bound lane. 1 am in the morning.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
When I was an MSF instructor, I cannot tell you how many times a student would tell me that as soon as he finished the class, and had his motorcycle license, he was buying the bike of his dreams, almost always a bike way beyond his current ability to safely ride. In those days most of our training bikes were 125cc Honda's, with a few 250cc bikes as well in the group. Often the students were talking about the latest and largest displacement sport bikes, or full dress Harley touring bikes. Over and over I would encourage them to start with something smaller, say a mid size cruiser or standard, preferably used because they would likely drop the bike at least a few times, and get at least 6 months experience before buying the "bike of their dreams". Almost always these were young men that certainly had the time to work their way up to a big bike. My guess is that few of them took my advice. In those days I would read any newspaper article about a local motorcycle crash or death and hope the name was not a familiar one that could have been one of my students.

·
Registered
166 Posts
We had two on a bike killed two nights ago on a divided limited access highway. Cage was driving east in the west bound lane. 1 am in the morning.
That is number 2 in the OPs post. Per my grandmother, nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Midnight is the witching hour, the vampires come out in force, hobos, derelicts and of course drunken or otherwise impaired drivers (and riders in the case of the OP).

I used to work second shift. Was headed home in my Toyota truck, divided interstate and it was raining, 2 AM. I see something odd, head lights reflected on the wet road. Hmm, then a full swerve by me, at the last moment, avoided a head on. I called the police but it was too late, the drunk hit another vehicle about a mile further on. Very bad wreak.

These are not accidents. it is not an accident to get on a motorcycle after drinking and ride at 80+ MPH or get in a car for that matter and enter a divided highway. It is intentional.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Sounds like a bar king on the way home.:crying:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm pretty old school when it comes to motorcycle power leaps, I had it drummed into me to do the " apprenticeship " from the word go, which basically means jump up the CC size as you gain experience and learn how to handle the extra power which is why I went 100cc,125cc,200cc,250cc,535cc ans then 600 sports bike, even now when I buy a different bike I take a couple of weeks to get to know the bike before I start opening it up and I have ridden for 27+ years, its over confidence that will kill you in the end.

As for Crash helmets, a lot of old school rider bleat on about not wearing them and how their " mate " got his neck broken wearing one, but the fact is the chances of your nogging hitting the floor is almost certain at some point in an accident, and you don't want that splitting open like an over ripe watermelon. I wear closed faced helmets always have always will, I wont wear open faced or those stupid SOA brain buckets.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,495 Posts
Sounds like a bar king on the way home.:crying:
Don't know Hog, The route he was on is the one they would have taken coming back from the beach (labor day weekend). The driver of the car who was going the wrong way was arrested. Not a whole lot is being said about the incident.

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
Hard to say about that one as I have seen signs to Hi-way interchanges that were confusing, maybe due to the hour no
one else aside from the bike was on the road and the cager just didn't realize he/she was going the wrong way but since
said person was arrested for driving in the wrong direction on a divided hi-way and not for DUI, said cager should be
written up 'driving to endanger' and vehicular manslaughter.

Maybe the cager really getting it up the %^& for a senseless killing will make him/her realize you can't just drive and not
know what the 'F' you are doing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The old “Don’t drink and drive” comes to mind.
Never drink and drive!
If one sees something like drunk people getting in a car or on a bike, stop and talk to them, while calling the police. Try to stall them long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Biker
1,620 Posts
After a good 200 mile ride, I'd go to a biker bar and planned on staying there for a couple of hours or more, get a large beer
and one of Quaker Steak an Lube's big-ass burger and steak fries, listen to Johnny elastic an his rubber band. I was there probably
an hour longer than I needed to be, figuring 1 drink an hour but since it was a 22 ounce beer I figured 2 hours was enough and I
had NO buzz when I rode out of the parking lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Iceland they made these, great commercials. That puts things in a little perspective.
One is a dentist drilling a tooth, and having a sip of wine.

The other is a trainer of little leag soccer, giving high fives after a goal, and sipping a beer in between the, high fives.
At the end the question, IS THIS OK?
Comes up.

And no its not, so why one drink and then drive is ok? Beats me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does anyone know what the speed limit was on the highway?
If it was 75 mph then 82 isn't a crazy number over the limit. Here in NY 65 mph is about as high as the limit goes.

Very sad and very preventable!

I agree with learning to ride on a small nimble bike first and work your way up over time!
I have been riding for 40 years now I started a 12 with a Yamaha JT60 dirt bike the went up from there:
YZ80
CL175
400 Hawk
Virago 750
xl250
xl600
V45 magna
Vulcan 1500
took a break for several years then
Valkyrie 1500 Tourer
As much riding as I had done the Valkyrie felt big for the first few weeks now not so much.

I will point out sticking with a small bike too long is not a good think either it starts to feel like a toy and one gets cocky I know this first hand! I had to get rid of my xl 600 because I was getting reckless. I had the 600 at the same time as a 1500 and the 600 was like a toy that I would ride wheelies everywhere but I was much younger then and did a lot of stupid things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts