Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Tire pressure, oil, gas (no gauge so I write my mileage down when I fill up on my gas receipt and put that in my glove & I usually open my gas tank & look, just to be safe.) lights, horn and then I start it, check out the kickstand & put it up. When I'm ready to go I rev & let the clutch out a couple of times just to make sure it's good & warmed up. I also check my brakes, front and back before I actually start out my driveway.

I live on a 55 mph hour 2 lane road and have to take off in a curve. I don't want to stall as I'm pulling out into the road. That is why I've gotten into the habit of going thru a couple friction zone take offs before I go up the drive.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I check my tires and then turn the bike around in my driveway as it warms up then go....I have a gas gauge plus I use one of the trip meters to track the tank and the other to track how far I ride that day, at night I will sometimes check my signals, but not always

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
The minimum is to check the tire air pressure, check the oil, and give it a visual once-over. Depending on how far I've been riding, or how far I plan on riding, it can be a lot more involved. Anything up to giving it a 20k service and putting on the road-trip tires.

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
About all I religiously do, before each ride, is check the brake/taillight on the bikes. I do check tire pressures or for damage, check oil levels, and check chain lube, slack or damage (on the ZX9R) several times randomly throughout the week (usually when I'm bored at work, which is alot).

-As Eye wrote, I do alot more the farther I'm riding.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just a visual once over before I start it. I do watch the elapsed run time to make sure I get an adequate warm up before I start riding. I also turn my bike in the driveway and that gives me a good chance to feel my friction zone. I idle forward during that turn so it lets me once again be certain just where that friction zone is. The only way I am checking tire pressures is if I get a TPMS. I am not going to lay on my belly every day and move the bike around to do that.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Tire pressure, oil, gas (no gauge so I write my mileage down when I fill up on my gas receipt and put that in my glove ..................
My Speedometer has a trip meter (manual turn-knob style) and I use THAT as my "gas gauge."

As to the OP question: I give the bike a "once over," looking for anything unusual; specifically focusing in on any modification spots on the bike, from a recent adjustment or fix.

Typically, I check the oil AFTER a ride, when the bike is warm,(as recommended by the Manufacturer), on the lift, so the bike is vertical. This is also a good time to lube the chain, and do a "clean and lube" of it, if I have 500 miles or so on it, since the last time I did it.

I do check the air pressure in the tires, but not religiously.

Speaking of tire pressure............I'm considering buying a compressor, (never owned one) for tire inflations on my truck, car and bike. I'd like t find one that would do say 25 PSI to 60 PSI (don't need some massive expensive thing).

Any recommendations?

-Soupy

·
Registered
31 Posts
My brother picked one up from Lowes to carry around in his truck when he's off road. Plugs into the 12 volt car outlet. Works pretty nice actually. Think he said near $20...

Edit

Found one at walmart but not able to post links yet. Just google AAA 300psi Air Compressor and you'll find it. I've used it many times to inflate my car/lawn mower tires. works every time.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I kick the tires, turn the key on, let the headlight ballast heat up, start the bike, tune the radio, then go ride. By the time I get from the barn to the highway I know if the clutch, brakes, and throttle are working.

All the other stuff is checked when I wipe down or change the oil. I only check the oil when I change it, no reason to check it any other time because it doesn't use any. Tires I check maybe once a week, we go through a couple sets of tires a year on each bike so they usually only get a look and a kick.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
...................... we go through a couple sets of tires a year on each bike................
I'd like to explore this a little bit, because I put perhaps more miles on my bike than a "weekend warrior" would; but less than someone doing "cross-country" traveling.

That said, I buy a set of tires, and hope they last me (if I buy a decent brand with a "decent" tread wear rating) at LEAST two or more seasons.

What is it that you are doing with your bikes, that requires multiple new tires each YEAR? Dirt Track racing or something like that?

-Soupy

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
My brother picked one up from Lowes to carry around in his truck when he's off road. Plugs into the 12 volt car outlet. Works pretty nice actually. Think he said near $20...

Edit

Found one at walmart but not able to post links yet. Just google AAA 300psi Air Compressor and you'll find it. I've used it many times to inflate my car/lawn mower tires. works every time.
I"ll look it over. Thanks. I've been looking at the "Campbell/Hausfeld" 3 gallon models, (150 PSI) and such, on YouTube.

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I'd like to explore this a little bit, because I put perhaps more miles on my bike than a "weekend warrior" would; but less than someone doing "cross-country" traveling.

That said, I buy a set of tires, and hope they last me (if I buy a decent brand with a "decent" tread wear rating) at LEAST two or more seasons.

What is it that you are doing with your bikes, that requires multiple new tires each YEAR? Dirt Track racing or something like that?

-Soupy
For several years we have ridden in the local "Most miles rode" contests, we each finished 2nd or 3rd with me letting her edge me out her first year of riding. The wife and I each put about 20,000 miles a year on bikes. We ride heavier bikes that go through tires a lot faster too. Yesterday we just went for a 250 mile ride to get lunch, had to quit early because of rain. Today we have no agenda, but the bikes are getting out. I bought my Victory about three weeks ago and have put a little over 2,000 miles on it already. I just traded in an M109 I had for 18 months with over 20,000 miles on it, and sold the Vulcan with 40,000 miles on it. The wife has had her Raider a year now and has 14,000 miles on it, but she had some surgery done and couldn't ride for a couple months.

I ride all year round, as long as there isn't any snow or ice on the road. Been doing it now for 45 years. I put less than 3,000 miles on my truck last year, it's 20 years old and only has 130,000 miles on it.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
.................I ride all year round, as long as there isn't any snow or ice on the road. Been doing it now for 45 years................
Question: "NE" (location) = Nebraska?
Response: I would have assumed, based on the number of miles you travel on your bike each year, that you were retired at this point, yes?

I suppose I would also put more miles on my bike, once "retirement" comes (in about 10 years).

Here in CT (Connecticut) there is lots of snow and ice, as you might imagine, in the Winter months. I could ride on some days of course, when the roads are dry, and theirs no precipitation coming down, and I may from time to time.

You'd be a great source for tire dependability/reliability/price info.!

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Question: "NE" (location) = Nebraska?
Response: I would have assumed, based on the number of miles you travel on your bike each year, that you were retired at this point, yes?

I suppose I would also put more miles on my bike, once "retirement" comes (in about 10 years).

Here in CT (Connecticut) there is lots of snow and ice, as you might imagine, in the Winter months. I could ride on some days of course, when the roads are dry, and theirs no precipitation coming down, and I may from time to time.

You'd be a great source for tire dependability/reliability/price info.!

-Soupy
Nebraska

I wish I was retired, won't happen for another 12 years. Guessing I'm the same age you are, born in 57. We do live in the country and for each of us 200 miles a week is just to work and back, she works west of here and I work east of here.

I ride my bike like other people drive their cage, it's the form of transportation I use unless I need to carry something I can't get on a bike. I have carried 100 pounds of chicken feed on the back seat of my Honda 360 before for 25 miles, that is not something I would normally do, and surely looked 3rd world, but it would have meant another trip back to town if I didn't.

When I do retire, I will probably buy something like a Can-Am with a trailer and sell the farm, then I will just travel and spend my nights in hotels.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Nebraska

I wish I was retired, won't happen for another 12 years. Guessing I'm the same age you are, born in 57. We do live in the country and for each of us 200 miles a week is just to work and back, she works west of here and I work east of here.

I ride my bike like other people drive their cage, it's the form of transportation I use unless I need to carry something I can't get on a bike. I have carried 100 pounds of chicken feed on the back seat of my Honda 360 before for 25 miles, that is not something I would normally do, and surely looked 3rd world, but it would have meant another trip back to town if I didn't.

When I do retire, I will probably buy something like a Can-Am with a trailer and sell the farm, then I will just travel and spend my nights in hotels.
Yep me too (born in "57").

12 years if you have to retire at 67 to get your "full" Social Security, yep. In truth, I figure I will NEVER actually "retire" officially. My wife would disagree with that statement (lol).

It's truly amazing to me, that you put the number of miles on your bike that you do, all things considered. I still find myself asking, "why" don't your tires last you longer? Doing lots of burn outs? (lol) Buying cheap tires? (respectfully).

-Soupy

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I thought I was getting good mileage out of my 109 tires, I was getting 9,000 miles out of the rear tires, that's a couple thousand more than most people. I was running Dunlop E3's on it, they lasted longer than the Metzlers. Got 11,000 miles on the Raider rear tire, that was more than most people. Riding with my wife, who has only been riding her own for 4 years now, there aren't any burnouts or racing, I find I get my best gas mileage with her too. We do have a great tire guy, we get our tires for half MSRP and cheap mounting and balancing. I also don't run them to the threads since we do a lot of riding, I have never been one to get the last few miles from a motorcycle tire.

I want to retire when I'm 70, I think, if I carry the genes of all but my mother, I will live into my 90's, All four of my grandparents made it to 93, my dad is 82, but lost my mom to cancer when she was 71. I hope to have 10 good years of retirement and then be a burden on my daughter for the last 10 years, I owe it to her!

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
Soupy,
The trip meter on my bike was broken when I got it and we just haven't tried to fix it yet.

In case you don't know, I ride a 1985 Yamaha Maxim 700. She's an oldie so I guess I go thru a little more efforts to check her out before I ride. Even if I'm only a mile from home it would be an effort to get her back there if she quits on me. That being said, I'm not afraid to jump on her and ride to Paducah KY to eat and then ride back home, all on 2 lane roads.

As far as tire wear, on our Vision we normally do a lot of touring, riding 2 up and packed for a couple weeks for both of us. We were getting 10 to 12k on a back tire and changed the front tire every 2nd back tire. Hopefully next year we will be able to get back to touring!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Moni, check out the Shinko tires. They are very reasonable, Korean tires, Japanese molds. I have run Metzeler and Avon Road Riders and prefer the Shinko, half the price is nice also.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
That's what I have on my Yamaha and I now have about 6k on them and they still look great. However, on the heavy Vision Randy runs the Dunlop Elite 3.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts