Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my BRC August 21st and I have been reading forums for the past month or so. I plan to get a dual sport bike or similar, most likely a Kawasaki KLR, and plan to buy a used one, few years old.

I'm scared of dropping the bike when I first get it and I am practicing. I know the BRC will help, but I was curious if I would be able to practice slow speed turns and stuff on grass to lessen the blow should I drop the bike? Or would the friction be too great and do more harm than good?

·
Very Famous Person
9,928 Posts
--

It's not the "friction" that would be a problem, it is the lack of friction between the tires and the grass. Practice in a large, open parking lot with lines if possible. Then pad all the parts of your bike that will touch ground when on its side with rags or rubber. Then be sure you are padded with full gear also.

The parking lot, slow speed practice is very important, so it's good you'll be doing it.

--

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have to disagree with my esteemed colleague Ronk, as any time practicing on a bike is good. Especially on a dual purpose or street/trail with more dirt oriented tires that are made for grass, dirt and other non pavement surfaces. The main idea is to familiarize yourself with and become one with the bike Grasshopper. Yes get out on the grass or dirt road/trail or wherever you don't need a license to practice, practice, practice, the fall will be softer(probably) too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
you are more likely to wipe out on grass than pavement. My first stint on a dirtbike landed me in a pricker bush....it wasn't fun having to ask people to pluck my butt...Take the BRC, crash their bikes, when you finally get it, practice on yours. If you are really worried,.....Bubble Wrap.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I had not through about padding the areas that would touch the ground. I will see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Don't worry too much about dropping the bike. At slow speeds you probably won't do much damage anyways. Consider it a battle scar and wear it with pride.

·
American Legion Rider
23,769 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't really worry about dropping a dual sport. They are kinda tough because they do get dropped. A lot. Practice anyway way you can. Just remember dirt and street are two different kinds of riding. Some things you do on dirt can get you hurt if you do it that way on street. You really have to think when you do both all the time.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Grass is very slippery and would be a PITA to ride on. You will be better off practicing in a parking lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I am actually leaning towards the Versys now which would not be good at all on the grass so that option is out. I picked up 8 cones at a garage sale so maybe I can set up something in a parking lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts