Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all --

Attached are 2 photos. Originally 2013 HD Sportster SuperLow 883 XL, and I then upgraded it to a 1200cc engine.

The question is regarding powder coating. Pros? Cons?

I'm leaning towards powder coating everything, so that I don't have to spend so much time/money constantly cleaning & keeping everything shiny. I live near the ocean & I don't have a garage; I do have a cover, but it sits outside all day/night, and the ocean's effects are starting to oxidize the metal parts. So, I'm thinking that powder coating will take care of the majority of my issues.

If you were to powder coat it, what parts would you powder coat? What parts would you not? Suggestions would be appreciated, since I've never done this before. Thanks.

R

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The aluminum rims either need to be protected with a coating of wax or need to be coated in some other way. Salt air will make a real nightmare of them. If you like the shiny metal look, do a clearcoat on the wheels. If you don't care about the shiny metal look, why not a coating to match the bike itself?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: powder coating

I was talking with my painter, and he said he could paint the aluminum rims the same shiny red color as everything else.
Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

Update: I spoke with my local HD dealership where I get my work done. This is my plan:
1. powder coat the rims black, since dirt gets on the tires
2. powder coat any non-removable part black, like the engine parts
3. leave the removable parts chrome, such as the exhaust, engine guard, and the screamin' eagle cover. Reason is that it'll be more expensive to powder coat these; if they oxidize, it's cheaper to just pop those off & replace them new.

I thought some parts powder coated & some parts chrome would look odd. I actually saw several people who've done that, and it looks great. I thought doing the rims red would be good, but the road dirt would easily make the rims dirty; so, it's best to stick with black for the rims.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I work in an industry where we have a good many parts of ours, covered in Powdercoating to protect them from environmental degradation.

Powdercoating is given an underlayment of one type or the other. In our applications, that underlayment is usually either Cu or Ni (Copper or Nickel).

What I've seen, characteristic to Powdercoating, is blisters, (bubbling that occurs during the application) and cracking (over time)

The biggest hassle in getting parts of your bike Powdercoated, other than checking for blistering and cracking, is the making sure that the place that does the work, properly masks all surfaces that are NOT supposed to get Powdercoated. Threads particularly, are an issue. Make sure you clearly are in agreement with whomever is going to do the work, about what areas you DON'T want Powdercoated! Even then, some companies will do shoddy work.

At first consideration, I don't think I'm much in favor of doing the wheels, but I'll mull that over.

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,331 Posts
Black chrome the wheels, it is a two coat powder coating.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts