Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit with 3,300 miles. It sat dormant for ~6 years before I got it. I cleaned the tank and the carburetor and was able to start and run it. After about 5 miles, gas started pouring out of a hose near the carburetor. I've attached a picture of the hose. Can anyone tell me why it might be doing this?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
My guess is that the float is sticking. Try tapping the base of the carb with a screwdriver handle to see if it will free the float. If not, you will have to take off the carb bowl and clean out whatever is binding the float.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The float seems to move freely. I'm guessing you're correct though in that I might need to remove the bowl. Hopefully I don't need to rebuild it.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Sometimes it's not so much an issue with the float itself, but a bit of debris gets stuck between the needle and its seat - or it just doesn't seat firmly.

That said, do confirm your float level settings are correct.

I'm not familiar with the bike, but it's weird to see a tube attached to the carb coming out of the valve cover like that.. must be a faux valve cover?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a faux cover. Under the cover is a 'Y' with one tube coming from the carburetor and the other two draining out (one towards the back of the bike and the other as seen in the picture). I'm guessing there is a piece of debris that needs to be removed.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has said that maybe the hose is no good?????

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
It's an overflow hose, Would not matter if it was good or swiss cheese. It's job is to allow excess fuel to dump instead of flooding the cylinder.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've had this happen on a couple bikes. Once, it was the float valve sticking open. A quick cleaning cured that. The other time, the floats themselves had deteriorated from age and were porous, thus soaking up fuel and not floating (see my thread "sink or float?" for more on this rare phenomenon). A sticky valve is far more likely in your case. Regardless of how well you cleaned the tank, a $5 inline fuel filter is a must for any bike that's been sitting for a few years.

·
Ace Tuner
2,936 Posts
I believe that is a vent hose that attaches to the top part of the carburetor.

If that is correct... then your carb is Flooding Like Crazy!

If that is what's happening... check for fuel in the oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts