Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s been a while since I posted! I’ve leveled up! I have over 1300 miles on my odometer! Haha. So I’m posting today to celebrate that little glory and in consideration to a trip that I’m planning on taking in August. The trip is just short of 400 miles, it will be a there and back. I will stay maybe two or three days, possibly more depending on what’s going on. I’m really considering taking my bike which is a Honda CB650F. I’m really feeling comfortable and confident on it but that’s a 6:30 hour drive, I could take it at a leisurely pace and stretch it more comfortably I imagine. Also, I have to consider my dog and other things so it may be easier to just take my Jeep renegade, haha. It would be a blast to drive a long trip like that on the bike though! I think it could potentially teach me a lot about riding and I could use that. Then again it could kick my ass and not have me wanting to get back on it for a week! Haha. What do you guys think about this endeavor?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'd say that if you can plan a route that isn't just interstate, it would be worth doing... even if it does kick yore butt! My two best rides this year occurred under a lot of stress and I was exhausted when done but, man, it was a good exhausted!

Just plan ahead for breaks, take your time, and enjoy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The path of travel is super easy! Long stretches of country road and highway! Only times I’d have to be on the interstate is through Chattanooga and Huntsville alabama. I’d also get to go through the gorge Ocoee area. I’ve done this trip several times by car! Sometimes there and back again in one day! Haha.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
So, 400 miles one way? Or, there and back? At my age, a 400 mile day is just too long, as we average about 50mph on the back roads because we generally need to stop for gas every 100 to 120 miles. That gives a chance to walk around a few minutes, which also reduces the average mph. If we were 20 years younger, it may not be so long a ride for us, so age and temperature are definitely big factors, as is having plenty of water (and maybe a 5-hour or two).

·
Visionary
5,245 Posts
Don't overthink it, just pack a little stuff and go ride, you'll have a great experience.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
400 is quite doable. BUT: Stop at 200 if you think it is too much. What if it pisses rain. You will be pleased to stop at 200.
So be flexible. Hope you have fun.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
You don't say if your 650 has a windshield or not and that would make a big difference. With a windshield and being younger, 400 miles would be a nice fairly easy ride. Tiring but still nice. Without a windshield 400 miles will be grueling. Would feel more like work at 300 and almost torture at 400. That's my opinion anyway. Make it a 2 day ride and it would be much better if without windshield.

Reactions: BWB75

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No windscreen at all! Lol I have to tuck doing anything over 70 and sometimes even at 60+ if the wind is bad!

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Then as I said, it will/would be a lot of work. Doable but work and you'll feel it. You can say you accomplished something many never even try. I'd say to have fun but as you know, it isn't really fun at 70mph for any length of time. And you'll need at least 65mph. I'd certainly make it a 4 day thing with 2 out and 2 back.

Reactions: BWB75

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts
Then as I said, it will/would be a lot of work. Doable but work and you'll feel it. You can say you accomplished something many never even try. I'd say to have fun but as you know, it isn't really fun at 70mph for any length of time. And you'll need at least 65mph. I'd certainly make it a 4 day thing with 2 out and 2 back.
To make that trip in 6-1/2 hours, he would have to average nearly 62mph; including 2-3 fuel stops and any speed zones, I'd guess over 70mph would be required for most of it (where possible). Add in 90+ degree temps, and, even at the age of 30, I would have found it fairly brutal on something other than a bike made for that kind of ride - thinking Goldwing bagger, or similar. I've met guys on similar bikes that have done that kind of ride, and longer, in a day; they were well worn when they stopped.

Another thing to consider, is the guys I met had worked up to long rides. I needed the same. When I first started going cross country, a 150 mile ride was wearing; I worked up to 250-300 over several (many) days. The OP needs to practice longer rides close to home, or rider fatigue can set in; we don't want that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm going to be the bad guy here and suggest that this ride would be a foolish decision for someone that has only been riding a few weeks.
I appreciate your passion for riding. We all understand that.
But, with respect, you don't know what you don't know.
There are so many things you need to master that only come with time and experience.
Passion is no shortcut.
You're a young man with a whole lifetime of great riding ahead of you.
Start now making wise choices and you will be a safer happier rider
You may not like hearing these things, but I'm risking being unpopular for your well being.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm going to be the bad guy here and suggest that this ride would be a foolish decision for someone that has only been riding a few weeks.
I appreciate your passion for riding. We all understand that.
But, with respect, you don't know what you don't know.
There are so many things you need to master that only come with time and experience.
Passion is no shortcut.
You're a young man with a whole lifetime of great riding ahead of you.
Start now making wise choices and you will be a safer happier rider
You may not like hearing these things, but I'm risking being unpopular for your well being.
Definitely some valid points to consider and I don't think anyone is going characterize you as a "bad guy" or "unfriend" you for bringing up your concerns! :smile_big:

The only things I'll add to the "do it" column is that he notes the trip is in August, giving him more riding time before heading out, and it is a route he seems to be familiar with.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
No doubt about it, it would be a grueling ride at best. I thought I had suggested more saddle time before attempting something like this but that might have been another member and another post. You can't get there if you never start though. And you have to start sometime. I just hope I've suggested enough times about how much it will drain a person that it is taken to heart. We can't do the ride for a person so the best we can do is hope they are successful. I do hope it all works out and no one gets hurt.

·
American Legion Rider
25,876 Posts
Long hot ride. Don't forget you long sleeve shirts and sun block. I have, and regretted it.
Especially on your nose bone or you won't have one. You'll burn that sucker right off. You can tell who has been riding long hours sometimes. They are the ones that look somewhat like raccoons. At least on the fair skinned riders.:crying:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Give yourself every opportunity to enjoy the trip… if it feels like time to smell the roses, stop and do so… if you pass something that looks interesting, don’t be afraid to make a U-turn and go back and see it. When I was your age (don’t you just hate it when someone leads in like that…), I rode my Limey’s all over the place with no windshield (didn’t start using them until I’d passed about 50), but the wind blast can wear on the rider, especially on a bike with a semi-upright riding position, so don’t be surprised by it… on the other hand it can be quite enjoyable if the weather is cooperative at all.

I agree with those who feel 400 miles might be a challenging ride for someone with so few miles – on the other hand many, many have done just that, so it isn’t like it can’t be enormously enjoyable – if you get hooked on long-pavement riding, you’ll soon discover 400 miles is barely an evening ride, but for now – plan to enjoy it – be safe; take breaks before your butt tells you that you need to – If you plan for 400 and stop at 200, you’ll likely be disappointed, and if you secretly intend only 200 and ride 400, you’ll probably be half-exhausted for no good reason; plan yer ride, and ride yer plan…

-- Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts