Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently contacted about trading bikes, but I am somewhat hesitant about it and was trying to get opinions from others. Right now I have a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, and have been looking into getting a Yamaha R6, which I know is a step up, but I would rather get an R6 first than jump straight to a R1.

Anywas, my Kawasaki only has 3200 miles on it. It is still pretty new. No scratches or anything. I have also made some modifications and installed a few things such as a slip on exhaust and a fender eliminator kit.

The person contacting me about a trade has a 2006 Yamaha R6. However, this bike has 25K miles on it. The bike does look very taken care of, and has many aftermarket parts as well. My main question is: is 25K miles too much for this to really be a fair trade? Especially with my bike still being almost new?

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thank you

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
It all depends on how the R6 was taken care of. If it was well taken care of, do it, thats a good trade. If it wasn't, well... You're probably not going to find many people willing to downgrade from a 600 I4 to a 650 I2.

25,000 is not that much. I've got 41,000 hard-ridden miles on my ZX9R and fully expect to at least double that number. I've met people on ZX6Rs and GSXRs nearing 70,000. I would ride mine anywhere without worry.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
It's older with more miles. If that bothers you, don't buy it.

Sounds like the "other guy" might be getting the better part of THAT deal.

-Soupy

·
Eating GSXRs, Sh***ing CBRs
1,895 Posts
The R6 may be older with more mileage but the actual value is probably pretty close to equal. The R6 has 2-3 times the horsepower. It's up to the OP if upgrading in power is worth getting a higher mileage bike. Personally as someone who loves crotch rockets, as long as the R6 is in good shape and well maintained, I'd do it without a 2nd thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts