Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1980 Honda 250s that has given me a fair bit of greif over the past seven years although i have continually maintained the system I am now having low voltage output again. Rather than try and fix I want to swap to a 12v system, a guy down the road has a CB250rs he is breaking and as the engine is the same (i think) & kickstart model but with less miles and 12volt output... its got me thinking either canibalise CB250rs engine and electrics or use mine and add the bits to make it 12volt
Another reason to change engine is that mine has done about 30,000 miles and smokes a little so some work is neede to be done here also.

Thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you don't have electric start then the change over is not that hard. You need the 12V Alternator, and regulator. Compare the wiring diagrams and see if the wiring is the same. If it is other than the parts get the other harness for a backup part and use yours. Take the time and extra money and change the filament bulbs over to SuperBright Leds. Those will put less strain on the system. https://www.superbrightleds.com/ Superbright is located in St Louis and use good parts in their products. If the harness is different get all the electrical parts to make the change over easier. It might be cheaper and easier to just buy the entire bike and part out what you don't need yourself if you need all the electrical parts.

·
Registered
943 Posts
You will need to change:
Alternator
Voltage regulator
ALL bulbs (including indicator lamps and speedometer illumination bulbs)
You may have to change your signal flasher as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies, If i go down the replacing engine with a 12v output cb250rs i will get all the loom and make it work with 12v bulbs of course however the guy I was going to buy this from has now sold it:frown: oh well back to other option of maybe converting what I have to deliver 12v this may bew more hasstle and maybe better to wait for a cb 250 doner?

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Why not just buy a 500cc or bigger? Something that is perhaps "used" but only a few years old, OR in "ready to ride" condition.

NOW is the time to "ride".........not "fix."

-soupy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts