Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my battery died yesterday and I got my portable battery tender to charge it for thirty minutes, which was enough of a jump to get me home. The next day I was going to charge it some more, so I tried to start it just to see if I could move it down the driveway, but it started making these popping sounds. Not as loud as say, a firecracker, but it still freaked me out to stop and come back inside to post this post.

The battery tender I got has an output of 2 Amps and specifically is the Deltran Battery Tender Lithium Powered Portable Power Pack 12V Jump Starter with USB Charger (I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I got it from amazon).

I'm pretty sure I didn't mix up the positive and negative ends because the battery tender flashes red when you mix it up.

Thanks!

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
2 amps is way to much for a motorcycle battery.

·
American Legion Rider
22,489 Posts
Well you didn't do it any good. So between total discharge and that you have surely shortened it's usable life.

The popping; is it possible you have a loose connection that is arcing? That would be a very hard to hear pop so I'm not at all sure what a pop between a firecracker and an arc would be. Was this pop coming from the exhaust? Might just be raw fuel left over from maybe near flooding when you started it. So it maybe nothing to worry about except to keep an eye on that battery now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it probably is fried because the bike will start but it will die immediately after. Could I have done damage to the bikes charging system by using this battery? Also, how should I charge my battery if I have no outlet near the bike? I take the bike for short rides and I think they're not long enough to make up for the juice I use each time I start it. I had the charging system checked out two weeks ago and they said it was fine.

·
American Legion Rider
22,489 Posts
There are several different battery maintainers. Maintainers the key word versus chargers. They charge the battery with low amps and then keep it charged without over charging. The most popular is called a Battery Tender Jr. But I have a Black & Decker that does the job as well as a Wall Mart version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! But dont these need an outlet? I only have street parking with no socket in sight.

·
American Legion Rider
22,489 Posts
Yep, you are right. They also make a solar version but that would only be good for daylight. It's probably your best option though. Other than that you need to ride at least 20 miles to recharge a battery from a start up. Or around that many miles anyway.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would it be a huge hassle to occasionally take the battery down and charge it some place with an outlet? I don't really know what kind of tools dismounting a battery requires.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,461 Posts
Depends on the bike. Some batteries are accessible behind a side panel others are under the seat like mine

·
American Legion Rider
22,489 Posts
Would it be a huge hassle to occasionally take the battery down and charge it some place with an outlet? I don't really know what kind of tools dismounting a battery requires.
Depends on what you call a hassle given your environment. To me it would be but you are the one having to live with it. Personally I'd opt for a solar charger. Parked in the day at work would be the same as mine plugged in a night.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Batteries can be safely charged with up to 20% - 25% of their Amp-hour (Ah) rating... My bike has a 24 Ah battery, so I can safely charge it with up to 6 Amps (25%), but that is the maximum amperage. Most Battery Tender's run at 2 Amps, or less. If your battery is rated at 14 Ah (fairly common motorcycle battery size), it can be charged safely with 2.8A (20%) to 3.5A (25%). If you charge a battery with less than its maximum charge rate, it will just take longer to fully charge. I used a 750 mA BT Jr. to charge my 24 Ah battery, and it worked just fine: 3% charge rate, compared to 25%. I also used a 2.0 Amp smart charger -- no issues, as it was 4A less than the maximum the battery could handle (6A).

Most batteries are located beneath the seat. Some are relatively easy to remove, others not so much. Removing the battery to charge it will be tedious.

Most bikes will not generate enough voltage to charge their batteries below 2,000-3,000 RPM. So idling in stop-dead traffic, and riding short distances, will discharge the battery. The best way to charge the battery, is to run the bike at 3,000+ RPM, for 20 minutes, or more. In other words, take it on the highway for half an hour, or more, to fully charge the battery. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
SgtSlag, I can't dispute your assertion for "most" bikes but mine never runs over about 2300 RPM and it charges my battery just fine. At idle my charging system puts out about 14.5 volts. The idea of running on the highway for 30 minutes sounds just right to me. At 65 MPH my bike only turns about 2300 RPM.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you're taking your bike to work why do you need a battery tender at all? Is it because it's a short commute and the battery might not recharge sufficiently?
Maybe I misread something. But if the bike's in use in general you're good right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts