Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP PLEASE. 1983 Honda Nighthawk 550. So I am finish up some work on the bike. I got everything put together. New plugs, jets, air pods. When I started the bike it ran nice for 5 sec then POP, and then 2 seconds later another POP. I shut it off and looked. There is gas that came out of the exhaust. Does this mean it's way to RICH? If it is too rich I can fix it but is the engine flooded? How to fix that?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Oh yeah, running rich. I made the mistake of letting that go too long and ended up needing new plugs when I finally fixed it.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Rich

A tad rich. Often a stuck float and or a bad needle valve will do that. Check the oil level. If it is over full then gas went in to the crank. Hope you turned off the fuel tap. Do not turn over the engine until you have checked the oil level and removed the spark plugs. And then turn it over slowly by hand with the key off. These are precautionary measures to save you from lighting up the ceiling, and or doing damage to the engine.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I turned it over by hand and had some gas come out. It had a problem before when like half the tank went into the engine oil. I will change the oil again. How long should I turn it by hand for to get the gas out?

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Gas

If the gas is coming out of the spark plug holes, just a few revolutions should do. The gas will wash the oil off the pistons and rings, so squirt some oil down the plug holes and turn it over again.
But fix the problem with the carbs before running it again.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed that problem with the carbs. It was a petcock left on "on". A rookie mistake. Thanks for all your help. I do really appreciate it. Any other tips for a rookie?

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Tips

Practice hard braking in the dirt on a dirt bike. Each brake individually at first, and in a straight line. Then do the same in a corner.

Fix the petcock and do not leave it on again. I often forget on my oldest bike, which only has an on or off position.

Years ago one of the mechanics scorched the ceiling while checking for spark on a snow mobile. He laid the plug on the head ( 2 stroke engine ) and pulled the cord. The gas in the cylinder shot up thru the hole, got ignited by the plug firing, made a really cool whooshing sound, and made a big black mark on the ceiling 20 feet up. Mechanic also got his eyebrows trimmed.

Unkle Crusty*

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
You've likely got a stuck float or contaminated needle & seat. If so you'll need to clean out the carbs, AND put a fresh fuel filter between the tank and carbs.

If you've gotten a bunch of gasoline in the oil, the oil needs to be changed. Running on diluted oil will ruin bearings.

Before you start it again, I'd squirt a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder (via the spark plug hole) and crank it around a few times before giving it fuel just to lubricate the cylinders/rings.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts